• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The latest on Global warming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumblenuts

I honestly don't know what side you're on here, and I'm not going to take the time to read enough of your stupidity to find out.
Thanks, Mr. Hilarious. Good to know. Wtf are you smoking? You haven't said boo about the topic yet torture yourself trying to figure out what "side" others may be on? Clearly a big fan of the nuclear power industry. Sorry, that's not the topic. No one would logically argue that nukes pollute the air with greenhouse gases yet here you are arguing the opposite like a raving lunatic... at that same no one... then zinging off on other tangents like worker safety comparisons between energy generation types. Don't get me wrong. Posting links attempting to support you're assertions is truly wonderful. But your assertions are nonetheless ridiculous and tangential at best. Nobody but a nuclear industry hack would go on and on like this in a topic so glancingly related. You're most likely so heavily invested in the industry that you find excuses to spam every forum you visit with similar garbage. Well bully for you but consider getting a life instead.

Grumblenuts

I'm retired. Who you? eta: If I've somehow neglected to mention it here already, I'm for finding out what makes sense, preferably the most sense.

DeletedUser31440

I'm for finding out what makes sense, preferably the most sense.

Chinese Molten Salt Reactors proving concept and financial practicality, then scaled down versions with local distribution networks so you don't have to worry as much about infrastructure security if used in moderate to quasi stable countries.

Grumblenuts

Le sigh... more nukes... Yes, one so determined can still leverage that cheap Chinese labor, but "financial practicality"?

Nuclear power construction costs have varied significantly across the world and in time. Massive and rapid increases in cost occurred in the 1970s, especially in the United States. A single study has claimed that these cost increases are specific to the United States.[3] However, it has been criticized for the selective use of data and biased interpretation.[4] There were no construction starts of nuclear power reactors between 1979 and 2012 in the United States, and since then more new reactor attempts have gone through bankruptcy than be completed. Recent cost trends in countries such as Japan [cough.. see Fukushima] and Korea have been very different, including periods of stability and decline in costs. - Wikipedia​

Hey, looks like someone has nailed your MO!:

"As renewable energy technologies have grown in volume and investment, and become much cheaper, nuclear proponents and deniers of climate science have become deniers of renewable energy.

The strategies and tactics of renewable energy deniers are very similar to those of climate science deniers. To create uncertainty about the ability of renewable energy to power an industrial society, they bombard decision-makers and the media with negative myths about renewable energy and positive myths about nuclear energy, attempting to turn these myths into conventional wisdom."​

RazorbackPirate

"As renewable energy technologies have grown in volume and investment, and become much cheaper, nuclear proponents and deniers of climate science have become deniers of renewable energy.

The strategies and tactics of renewable energy deniers are very similar to those of climate science deniers. To create uncertainty about the ability of renewable energy to power an industrial society, they bombard decision-makers and the media with negative myths about renewable energy and positive myths about nuclear energy, attempting to turn these myths into conventional wisdom."​
Lol. Solar Panel, meet night.

DeletedUser31440

To create uncertainty about the ability of renewable energy to power an industrial society, they bombard decision-makers and the media with negative myths about renewable energy and positive myths about nuclear energy, attempting to turn these myths into conventional wisdom."

Don't think I've gone after renewables, I like them, they are a good way to get rid of diesel generators in countryside where they can't get on the grid, combine it with a battery and your good. You could do the small grid with solar and battery as well, right now we just don't have the right batteries though. Graphene is looking ish on a superconductor, but energy density is much lower than li-ion at the moment. That's mostly Japanese research pushing on the graphene side, the Chinese are pioneering Molten Salt Reactor's, we messed around with them in the '60's, but they lost the funding war (thorium isn't weaponizable).

My thoughts on global warming are I want a how and happening, I don't care about the who.

Edit: Graphene is amazing as a superconductor, it's ish as a supercapacitor, which is what I'm hoping will see a breakthrough on at some point. It's surface area is insane, should be able to do something with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31440

@Grumblenuts I now understand, thank you for showing me the light. That last comment about the definition of rubbish really opened up the path to enlightenment, you got me good.

DeletedUser31440

@Grumblenuts earnest question here, what do you see as the biggest crisis/obstacle that we need to address in the next 10 years in regards to climate change?

Grumblenuts

No strong opinion on that. The largest room in the world shall remain the room for improvement regardless of any specific efforts. But this site ranks the first three of ten most pressing as:

1. Ridding ourselves of CFCs and HCFCs worldwide
2. Increasing onshore wind power generation
3. Reducing food waste

Makes sense to me.

DeletedUser31440

So that's part of where we're coming at a head then. I think the biggest issue is developing countries that are going to be trying to enter the global economy over the next 10 years. There's a lot of people that are going to need electricity and they will get it, unfortunately it's going to be coming from dirty sources.

Grumblenuts

Let's say you're right up to your unexplained fear or presumption "it's going to be coming from dirty sources." Wind turbines are now ubiquitous, cheap, and clean. By all accounts the Chinese are now demonstrably more serious about cleaning up their act than we are. Who now appears hell bent on opting out of the Kyoto Protocols asap thereby setting a bad example for others to follow? Oh, that's right... it's us. High time we learned not to judge others until we have a demonstrably better leg to stand on.

DeletedUser31440

So you don't want to look for a solution, you just want to cast blame. That's cool, useless, but cool I guess.

RazorbackPirate

Who now appears hell bent on opting out of the Kyoto Protocols asap thereby setting a bad example for others to follow? Oh, that's right... it's us. High time we learned not to judge others until we have a demonstrably better leg to stand on.
Gee, you must have missed this post earlier. I know, so last page.

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...st-on-global-warming.23351/page-9#post-226868

We don't need to sign onto agreements to make progress. As the French have figured out, these agreements are just another way for Gov'ts to scam us out of more money.

Also can you explain the map below from 1652? There are 3 areas in particular I'd like you to enlighten us on.

1. North Central Africa filled with cities, rivers, and lakes, but no Sahara Desert.
2. The islands northwest of the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico. Clearly shown on the map, yet underwater today.
3. The insert of the Arctic circle showing cities, rivers and lakes that no longer exist in what is now Northern Siberia.

1652-nova-totius-terrarum-orbis-geographica-ac-hydrographica-tabula_1-jpg.1602

Me, I'm just willing to believe the Earth does what it wants regardless of us and we ought not to legislate ourselves back to the 1820s. Which reminds me. Since you're in explaining mode, how about 1816, the 'Year without a Summer'?

Grumblenuts

@Ozyman Tremble Weaklings "So you don't want to look for a solution, you just want to cast blame. That's cool, useless, but cool I guess."

Logic is clearly not your friend.
There's a lot of people that are going to need electricity and they will get it, unfortunately it's going to be coming from dirty sources.
Now that's casting blame. I happen to be an atheist but even way back when the Bible was written people commonly understood...

Matthew 7:1-5 on Judging Others
1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

DeletedUser31440

@Ozyman Tremble Weaklings "So you don't want to look for a solution, you just want to cast blame. That's cool, useless, but cool I guess."

Logic is clearly not your friend.

Now that's casting blame. I happen to be an atheist but even way back when the Bible was written people commonly understood...

Matthew 7:1-5 on Judging Others
1 Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

I'm not judging them, it's what they have access to and what will be built for them. It's pretty ridiculous that you want to have a discussion on global warming but instead of discussing it spend your time attacking the other people willing to spend their time talking with you. You can't even come up with your own thoughts on what the pressing issues are, instead you need to find someone else who has put together a convenient list for you to copy and paste.

Edit: Sorry Grumble, but our time talking is over. You get the high distinction of being the first person I set on ignore on these forums. Have fun talking to yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.