• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Prepper situation.

• Thread starter DeletedUser23419
  • Start date

DeletedUser23419

With all the predictions how the society is facing disasters, I'm wondering what people should prepare in advance for, considering the worst case scenarios over the planet in the next 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, and 200 years.

DeletedUser15539

Based on wind, water and muscle power, the Earth has historically been able to support about one billion people. Cheap and abundant energy has primarily been responsible for the population to increase seven-fold. Right now, the human race is on a non-sustainable path in just about every category I can think of. I do not know what will ultimately be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but I'd be surprised if in the future, the population is not closer to the historical one billion than to the current seven. I do not know what the time frame will be, but I suspect the process will not be pleasant.

DeletedUser23419

It's quite harrowing that we are on a non-sustainable path, but we need those resources, so that indicates at the 50 year mark, we will probably need to find ways to become sustainable, or else world war 3 will erupt, and it won't look pretty from these speculations.

Mustapha00

Well, if we are truly serious about transitioning from a carbon-based economy to a so-called "green-based" economy, we already have the transition fuel and know how to use it: nuclear energy. It produces no 'greenhouse gases' and technology has advanced to the point that the fuel can be regenerated many times over, with a small loss if capacity each time, via so-called "breeder reactors". They are comparatively safe; the Chernobyl plant was a terrible design which had known flaws even as it was being built, but those flaws were overlooked because it was cheap to build, and the Fukushima disaster was a confluence of catastrophic events that cannot be replicated in very many other places on earth. Most of the world could easily transition from coal-burning, oil-burning and even relatively clean natural gas-burning plants in perhaps a decade if the political will becomes available to do so. It is next to impossible to find environmentalists credible in their beliefs if they do not consider nuclear to be a very large part of the transition.

As for personal prepping, it's a pretty good idea to have maybe a week's worth of food and water and other survival equipment close at hand, if for no other reason than the prevalence of natural disasters such as the flooding in the southeastern United States. Some of those areas won't have power for weeks but, even worse, no water safe to drink or to cook with for several days. A stash of goods and some form of currency is never a bad idea.

DeletedUser23123

If "Hell break loose" sort of speak. There will be no place to hide. Literately no place. There going to be people wanting to lead, steal and kill. My prep. Knives, Coffee and Smart. Got guns but, could run out of bullets. I know gardening, purification, mechanic, carpentry, electrician, plumbing, renewable (windmills, solar and steam). I collected old generator with blown engines, plumbing and electrical parts. I got three half decent trucks all same models. I live on a mountain from any flood zone and 21 acres of trees to burn (plus 600 acres around that). That include the ton of leaves and a 5 gallon buckets full of lighters (Just need the flint). Have plastic drums for rain water. Wildlife and garden for food. I live in a double-wide with no cellars on a dead end road. Defense - Guns, knives, axes, machete and booby trap(can make a hell of an explosion with just toilet bowl cleaner and tin foil).

Last edited by a moderator:

cbalto1927

It's quite harrowing that we are on a non-sustainable path, but we need those resources, so that indicates at the 50 year mark, we will probably need to find ways to become sustainable, or else world war 3 will erupt, and it won't look pretty from these speculations.

For Resources issue, it already happening. Oil is one of the most valuable commodity, Currently US, Russia, China, and UK are currently fighting for those resources. I am surprised that these countries unwilling to transition from fossil fuels to Nuclear Power as France and Germany are doing. Those 2 countries have the most advanced and proven Nuclear power to help their own countries. The War in Middle east is just a starting point of power grab to get the remaining oil supplies. We already surpassed 7.5 Billion mark for world population. The 2nd option about 3rd World war is still a real possibility. As you already know US and Russia has very different Political, Societal, Cultural and Military differences there. Both countries simply cant agree on anything as of now.