• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Answered] The Problem with Tyr

DeletedUser

The defending army isn't big enough to stop an invasion, yet the quest guide "strongly suggests" being diplomatic and buying the continent instead.

But to do that requires all kinds of goods being researched, and I assume buildings and space to 'grow' them? That's the biggest question I have so far - are there PvP tourneys going on which I'm missing out on because I'm taking the guides advice? I've already conquered the surrounding continents and scouted the Iron age PvP continent.. But I have no idea when I'll have any of these goods.

(P.S. on an unrelated topic - the Buy Diamonds selection doesn't seem to work. A white screen comes up and no options are given).

---------------------------

The big dilemma is basically this chain of connected events --

To research goods/forge points --> You need Population space
To have Population space ---> You need to build houses
To build houses ---> You need to expand your grid
To expand your grid ---> You need to win medals in PvP tourneys
To win medals in PvP Tourneys ---> You need to ignore the quest guide and just conquer Tyr.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hey Calibob - I ve been able to use my bronze age armies all the way up to the land of Paruuch. I haven't been able to defeat the last army in Paruuch due to the long range balistas. Hope that helps.

DeletedUser

Just disregard the tutorial and attack Tyr with your army. If you've already conquered Hymir it should be a breeze.

DeletedUser

Thanks everyone, yes I decided to abort the peaceful quest with Tyr and conquered it pretty easily. Now I can PvP fight which is nice.

But the big question for me - when I look at reasearching goods like Stone - is the cost. They all cost Lots of population space, and I'm absolutely crammed, with only 1 pop. space remaining. How can I have goods like Dye and Stones if I can't build the buildings to refine them? And those buildings/populations require lots of grid expansion. Which doesn't seem easy to get at all.

DeletedUser

You might want to try concentrating on just one goods and then using the trading system to get the other goods.

I agree with you that expansion is an issue with the game. But everyone is in the same boat as far as that is concerned, so you have to try to be creative. Oh, and be as efficient as possible with your layout.

DeletedUser

Land expansions are rather plenty, IMO, and as you progress you get more somewhat quickly. What MaryBeth said is the way to go. In each province that you conquer, there is a goods icon. Having this icon allows you to produce 5 times more of that good than if you did not have the icon. Basically, you should try to focus on producing goods that you have discovered and trading them to others who need that resource and have the goods that you want.

As far as spacing goes, minimize the amount of paths you have. Limit the happiness providing buildings to the absolute minimum you need to keep the population excited. Military buildings should be kept to a minimum of 1 or 2 per unit, and no more than 2 different types of units. Supplies comes rather easily from quest rewards, and so you do not need that many supply producing buildings. Upgrade your huts to the advanced versions for more population at the cost of lower gold production, and eventually you'll have enough space for 1 or 2 goods buildings.

DeletedUser

Thanks Daniel and MaryBeth,

I just recently discovered the Tools Icon for selling and moving buildings which definitely helps. The developers may want to include a section in the opening tutorial about that icon. But you can't sell buildings if the Pop. is too low.

Two things I'd like them to also include or change in future changes:

1) Be able to just destroy roads, buildings etc at will
2) Have a button to automatically pull up the grid. I'm stuck pretending like I'll build a road before seeing my available grid. And then cancelling it.

DeletedUser

Calibob - What I have been doing (at least in the beginning) is work on a material that I need, once I get it, either by pillaging it from other people (which I am sure a there are some people not happy with me) or by building the material I need, I then sell the building, which will give you back the population, then start building the replacement building material I need.

DeletedUser

My current dilemma is having a maxed out Pop. and no room to add a residential building. And I can't upgrade to a chalet instead of a stilt house for example, because there "aren't enough free citizens to sell" the building. Can't move up the research ladder since all the next steps take pop. space to buy.

I don't see how to grow from here.

DeletedUser

My current dilemma is having a maxed out Pop. and no room to add a residential building. And I can't upgrade to a chalet instead of a stilt house for example, because there "aren't enough free citizens to sell" the building. Can't move up the research ladder since all the next steps take pop. space to buy.

No researches in the Research Tree require population to buy. Although many require population to build after the research is done, none require population to unlock.

DeletedUser

Two things I'd like them to also include or change in future changes:

1) Be able to just destroy roads, buildings etc at will
2) Have a button to automatically pull up the grid. I'm stuck pretending like I'll build a road before seeing my available grid. And then cancelling it.

Well, selling is just like destroying, no?
The idea of an available grid system was proposed a few months back in the .zz version. (I know because I proposed it...hehe)
If you have any other ideas about improving the game, please start a thread or comment on an existing on in the Proposals section of this Forum. :)

You may have to sell one of your military or supply buildings in order to gain sufficient pop to sell a stilt house. A weird workaround, I know, but it would work. And just keep an eye on the pop and available land in the future.

DeletedUser

That's good to know thanks. I've been looking at them in the tree with high pop. costs I guess that is just to build.

DeletedUser

That's good to know thanks. I've been looking at them ion the tree with high pop. costs I guess that is just to build.

Yep. You don't have to pay that at all unless you wish to actually build the buildings that are being researched.

DeletedUser34

on my game in the .en, the second time around I have decided to play it economically. It has been fascinating. I really thing the ability to play either way will get easier as soon as the redo on the trading system rolls out. I am kinda hung up for the moment due to a hick up in the limestone merchant (he is non existent) I haven't decided how I am going to play on this server.

One thing I have learned is the less corners you have in paths/roads etc, the more space you can utilize. Another thing that I do, is I always have a spare square. it allows me to rearrange in a pinch most of the time. Anyway, good luck.

Marybethcandysue - I like the option to see the grid all the time. I would suggest suggesting that, but, LOL...you did, and it is all about turtles (slow and steady) these days :p

DeletedUser

I gave in and bought all of Tyr with diamonds. I'll probably regret it but as most diamond features can be gone without it was still worth the easy 1000 supplies at this stage.

DeletedUser

I won with troops. It did take an hour or two but meh :)
Then did the same with Hymir.

No way im buying that premium just yet!