• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Real Race

DeletedUser3

While there is plenty of attention posed to the Presidential race and the ongoing Presidential/Vice-Presidential debates, the Real race is in the House of Representatives, where financial support for Democratic candidates has skyrocketed for Representative campaigns. Why? Because Democratic funders realize it has been the House that has stalemated the U.S. government and undermined this nation's recovery. So while Repuiblican funders are busy funding Romney's Presidential bid, Democratic funders are busy funding Democratic efforts to retake the House (sometimes posing eight times more financial support than their Republican House counterparts).

Your thoughts?

DeletedUser

I don't like the idea of people "buying" political office. The lack of an educated and informed electorate leads to this abuse. The only "good" side to this is that some of these people got into office by the same tactic, so I get some satisfaction by seeing them get their just desserts. I'm fortunate to live in a congressional district where there are two very good candidates running (but unfortunately I get reminded of this about every 7 minutes on the television).

DeletedUser

LMAO! Okay, so you're saying that the HoR totally stalemated the Republicans? Did it make John Boehner cry? If it did then I'd like to pledge $50.00 to the Democratic cause. :)

DeletedUser

I don't like the idea of people "buying" political office. The lack of an educated and informed electorate leads to this abuse. The only "good" side to this is that some of these people got into office by the same tactic, so I get some satisfaction by seeing them get their just desserts. I'm fortunate to live in a congressional district where there are two very good candidates running (but unfortunately I get reminded of this about every 7 minutes on the television).
That just desserts may be sweet in the short term, but sailing up a certain smelly creek in the long term. Cashed up lobbyists have already promoted the present silly buggers being played by the republican majority in the House of Representatives, raising the stakes again just squeezes the voice of the people even further.

DeletedUser

I long for the day when the race will include more than just 2 supposedly opposed viewpoints. I hate to complain, because i know that my vote is my voice, but i don't like either candidate. i have noticed that either side really makes little difference in our direction since i see that corporations truly make the decisions in our nation's direction.

DeletedUser

Diggo, it's both parties, not just the Republicans.
sinistir, I feel your pain. There are actually a large number of candidates, but only the two major parties have the infrastructure to run a full campaign with effective advertising/marketing. I only vote for the major candidates about 1/3 of the time, actually, because usually one of the other parties has a candidate that I prefer over either the Dem or Rep. Usually, when I do vote for a major candidate, it's more of a "trying to make sure the other major candidate doesn't win" mentality. Check out the Libertarian, Green, and Constitution party candidates, for example. Your state's secretary of state or chief election officer should have a published slate of candidates on the state government website. Above all, don't lose faith in our system of government...our Constitution is the fairest and longest-lasting governing document on the planet. There are always those who will try to take temporary advantage of situations, but the American people really do have the final say.
One last thought: the way to get other people informed about a third- or fourth-party candidate that you like is to volunteer for that candidate's campaign. One thing that all the "small party" or "independent" candidates have in common is a small budget, so having someone volunteer to take flyers/brochures door-to-door is their primary way of informing the electorate. (This assumes you can find a candidate that you feel strongly enough about to support in this way...not always going to happen.)

DeletedUser

Diggo, it's both parties, not just the Republicans.
Perhaps throughout American history, i.e. when the president is not a democrat, but not in the here and now (particularly in the first term). The government are so named for governing the functioning of the country, the opposition are so named for opposing their rule. Unfortunately in an increasingly extreme political environment, and perhaps this is only reflective of that, but controlling a house has become not a tool to scrutinise government policy but a tool to destabilise its president completely. Hence the "real race"...

DeletedUser

The two party system will remain in place for as long as the electoral college remains. It is an antiquated part of our constitution that has been abused by the two party system. (Remember Gore v. Bush?) The way to change this would be through an amendment or through law (preferably amendment). Of course there is no incentive for this to be changed by those who are currently in Congress. Anything that would lessen their power is not on the table. So We the People have only one course of action. We can elect 3rd, 4th and 5th party candidates into Congress. We focus far too much on presidential races. The real power has always been with Congress.