• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Thematic City Arrangement - Do you do it?

Aethelcatt VIII

Being in a field closely related to actual city planning in real life, I just cannot help enacting a zoning ordinance every time I reorganize my FoE city. Here's my current layout. I hope you all can sense the thematic provisions in this version of the city's General Plan (e.g., the civic center plaza, the downtown commercial district, the entertainment district, the industrial district and, of course, the Little Tokyo Special Cultural Zone, etc.). :D
City Layout.jpg

UBERhelp1

Being in a field closely related to actual city planning in real life, I just cannot help enacting a zoning ordinance every time I reorganize my FoE city. Here's my current layout. I hope you all can sense the thematic provisions in this version of the city's General Plan (e.g., the civic center plaza, the downtown commercial district, the entertainment district, the industrial district and, of course, the Little Tokyo Special Cultural Zone, etc.). :D
View attachment 19482
Looks really good. You've also done a pretty good job balancing the heights of buildings which is something I struggle with. Looks like a very clear layout!

Aethelcatt VIII

Looks really good. You've also done a pretty good job balancing the heights of buildings which is something I struggle with. Looks like a very clear layout!
Thanks! Yeah, the height of buildings is indeed one of the things I try to balance out across the map in my zoning scheme. Over-concentration of tall buildings tends to be depressing to our hardworking citizens. :)

Zatrikon

I guess I never really thought about the heights of buildings, except for the consideration of blocking buildings behind them. I try to keep tall buildings - especially GBs, at the back edge of the city, so they don't block the view of other buildings. OTOH, I'm perfectly happy to block views of buildings I don't need to see - ones that never need to be clicked on. I also think about this with regard to which side of a road a building is on. If there's a road between two buildings, that's an extra space to let the building behind be seen.

Aethelcatt VIII

I guess I never really thought about the heights of buildings, except for the consideration of blocking buildings behind them. I try to keep tall buildings - especially GBs, at the back edge of the city, so they don't block the view of other buildings. OTOH, I'm perfectly happy to block views of buildings I don't need to see - ones that never need to be clicked on. I also think about this with regard to which side of a road a building is on. If there's a road between two buildings, that's an extra space to let the building behind be seen.
I'm hiding a winner's plaza behind the Ferris wheels and a magnum opus behind the Chateau. Too many of the same buildings don't look good to my picky eyes.

Jackshat

I feel ya on thematics to heighten your playing enjoyment.

Does a functional theme count? My city appears to be a farmer's oasis, but it's the Logistics Command Center for High Middle Age members. Golden Crops power the goods production. Goods production powers HMA. A true goods-based economy allowing our only limits to be our imaginations. (Ok...and the limits of developer's game constraints.)Screenshot_20220411-090640_Forge of Empires.jpg

Last edited:

Zatrikon

No, that doesn't count. That would be a rather miserable city to live in. What is that, a Future era Town Hall? But everyone lives in middle-age level housing? And work on farms with no recreation, no decoration. I don't see the appeal of playing that way.

Ebeondi Asi

That is a Space Age Mars Era town hall !!! Utopian dystopian commune for the insane.It is where all the players who think they can Negotiate through Space Age Mars wind up !!!

It might be possible to negotiate through Space Age Mars, but it would be extremely difficult. Since to get Mars Ore, you would have to negotiate constantly, to get the Goods to negotiate, you have to be making Mars Ore.. the eight circle of Dante's Hell IMO. (though Event building Goods can save the day)
So for negotiators who do not fight, Mars is a true challenge. I would strongly suggest they give up when they hit SAM, and learn to fight. LOL

Last edited:

Jackshat

Theme: Strategic Logistix Center

As I said, our only limits are our imaginations. Ebi and Zat, the objectives of this center are not to negotiate thru the Space Ages, nor create a utopian community.

I gutted my city of traditional attacker gbs, attacker-heavy event buildings, and my 700/1100 attacker boosts (damn near cried when I deleted 241 level 2 Sentinels) to pursue this very alien concept in FoE.

Imagine an industrial complex with a specific mission...not a traditonal FoE city. It's a logistics center...our workers come from YOUR cities. :p Zat, my logistics center exists so that your citizens can live in peace in that paradise you're creating for them. Heck, one of your neighbors is our chief, strategic engineer! :D

Purpose and need drives imagination...and innovation. I'm smiling, because my SLC will provide more fight than I ever mustered on my own.

(Those Golden Crops are powering me easily through Sam...two tech remain. Harvesting Mars Ore is not a problem. :))

Last edited:

Zatrikon

No one is telling you how to play, but I can't help but wonder why you don't upgrade your housing to something beyond the Middle Ages. You could have the same population for much less space. Even if only to make room for more Golden Crops.

And yeah, I guess it really does count. It's weird, but it counts!

Jackshat

No one is telling you how to play, but I can't help but wonder why you don't upgrade your housing to something beyond the Middle Ages. You could have the same population for much less space. Even if only to make room for more Golden Crops.

And yeah, I guess it really does count. It's weird, but it counts!

Remember, my whole theme is specifically for HMA members, so the production is for them. The Golden Crops do what no combinations of buildings do, without MASSIVE fp investment, provides plenty of population, happiness, coins, and supplies to power HMA production, plus current age goods to get me thru Space Age tech trees, treasury donations, and fragments for one-up kits. The perfect building to power everything. And forge point gravy!:)

And you're correct regarding space that can be saved. 7 Golden Crops will power 221 EMA-HMA goods buildings, at my level (well, by the time I reach the end of SAV.) I can reduce from 25 to 7 once I've completed the Space Ages. Til then, they are all needed to that end. It makes perfect sense for my purpose. There are zero middle age residentials.;)

Of course, with Space Age Jupiter Moon now open...:D

Last edited:

Zatrikon

Ah. I blame the image size. I thought those were residentials.

[Emily Litella]
Nevermind.
[/Emily Litella]

PJS299

That is very funny. I used to do the same thing. I had my own little neighborhood and my supply district and my manufacturing district. I kept all buildings from the same event together, like the Airship and Ferris Wheel, or the Hanami bridge and Suishun mill. But now I try to just fit everything in where ever it can go.