• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Time Travel

DevaCat

I sincerely beg to differ with you @DevaCat - our typical modern schooling would be beneath his abilities so he'd probably become an autodidact like I imagine he was during his own time frame. But with the libraries that he would now have available to him (20th & 21st centuries) as well as the internet (later in life), I imagine he would at least reach Hawking or Einstein level of intelligence and success. I benefited from our modern schooling but it was supplemented by living in a rural area where the school I attended had 100 students from K to 8th grade. The teachers had time for us and taught us many things that weren't even taught at the high school level. But when my children went to school, the curriculum was dumbed down so it met the "test" requirements. Where the US once was tops in the educational process, I fear we have fallen way behind other countries. Otherwise, I agree with you. :)
Lol, I totally agree with you. I actually winced when I wrote "typical modern schooling" but I figured if anyone could, he would overcome that handicap.

Not too long ago I heard a teacher on the radio talking excitedly about this new thing called phonics that she was using to help teach her kids how to read. My mom used phonics flash cards to help me learn how to read in the 1950s because the education establishment wasn't getting the job done. The establishment refused to use the technique then and apparently in many places still does.

The single most effective move to improve education would be to reduce classroom size, regardless of teacher competence. But as the Great Recession response to a self-inflicted financial crisis showed, education was among the first budget items to be cut, moving us in the opposite direction. And dumbing down curriculum to teach to a mandatory test is just, well, dumb lol. That's not an educational objective, it's a political one.

To try to swing back on topic (sorry), and to mess with history, what if we could travel back and convince the leaders of the Temperence movement that instead of Prohibition an education focus would better serve to combat the problems they sought to address? That introducing bills to limit classroom size and to encourage local boards to use phonics etc would be more effective than busting up bars. That a better educated public would better resist Demon Drink. So, in addition to school changes, we get no Prohibition, no mob wealth, no Elliot Ness and J Edgar Hoover, a different Cuba (without the mob influence), and who knows what else.

Lady Gato

SNIP we get no Prohibition, no mob wealth, no Elliot Ness and J Edgar Hoover, a different Cuba (without the mob influence), and who knows what else.
Oh yes I would totally agree with that ! In fact if you are familiar with Laura Ingalls Wilder - there was a test that she had to take in order to graduate from 8th grade and get a teaching certificate herself. I found the test listed online at one time. I could not pass it with a high school diploma and I sincerely doubt that most certified teachers could have passed that exam (which was both written and oral). The idea of consolidated school systems was one of the worst ideas that came along. And my son who was diagnosed with dyslexia could not receive services in my state to address his issues. The school bought a phonics system at my insistence and I worked with him for 2 years to overcome his problems. And look at Einstein and his problems with the public school system. Yep, I agree that would be an interesting time to visit and try to straighten out the situation we have now.

Daniel The 4ger

If I traveled back in time I’d want whatever I’d done not to mess up future time. That way I could ask a guy from Germany about what he was trying to accomplish, show Vincent how famous he got, thank Gutenberg for making the printing press, and much much more.

Triopoly Champion

If I traveled back in time I’d want whatever I’d done not to mess up future time. That way I could ask a guy from Germany about what he was trying to accomplish, show Vincent how famous he got, thank Gutenberg for making the printing press, and much much more.
If people can travel back in time, the United States would have been able to contain Covid-19 in Wuhan, China well before the widespread outbreaks.

Daniel The 4ger

If people can travel back in time, the United States would have been able to contain Covid-19 in Wuhan, China well before the widespread outbreaks.
Yes but I believe every thing happens for a reason, without the pandemic life may be happier, but we wouldn’t know how bad our healthcare is, which means we may not fix it.

Triopoly Champion

Yes but I believe every thing happens for a reason, without the pandemic life may be happier, but we wouldn’t know how bad our healthcare is, which means we may not fix it.
California Wildfires have burned many houses on the yearly basis and the government still haven't fixed it.

I don't think the U.S. health care system will ever be fully fixed, the testing kit delays are still there and it has already been the 6th month into the pandemic. Congress is still extremely divided with the partisanship, when will it be fixed?

Alpha Persei

if i could travel back in time , i'll love to go on the worlds greatest expeditions in history . travelling back in time with marco polo would have been exciting and maybe adventurous .

DevaCat

id go to the greek era because I think they were cool or id be a cowboy in the wild west;). id push my cows around and have sixshooters and carry my winchester. never go unarmed
Now that's an idea, a cattle drive. Eating beans around a campfire, surrounded by cows and coyotes -- with all the burps and farts, add a harmonica and it would be nirvana!:D

Triopoly Champion

Now that's an idea, a cattle drive with all the burps and farts, add a harmonica and it would be nirvana!:D
Be sure to eat a lot of potatoes and beans, then have the electric fans ready to blow it all over.'

I still remembered my ESL teacher had to smell my farts up to 3 times per day with her sweater covered her nose up for at least 4 minutes straight.

Triopoly Champion

if i could travel back in time , i'll love to go on the worlds greatest expeditions in history . travelling back in time with marco polo would have been exciting and maybe adventurous .
Hellenistic period
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_period

If I could adjust the time hexagon machine to travel back, I'd like to go to the Greece during the Classical Age right around where this tech tree stood -
Forge of Empires - Before Military Tactics.jpg

Since I get to pick which techs I want to research, definitely research the "Military Tactics", then "Thermae" to able to take a bath.

The most decisive part would be how to discover "Mathematics" because the numerical symbols haven't been discovered yet. Maybe only several stacks of papers with the graphic writings could change the entire history as long as I can gain the access to the masonry buildings and the dye works.

Last edited:
I would definitely go for the "star trek" idea of visiting without being exposed to the dangers. You want to go to ancient Rome or Greece? If you scratch your knee there is no such thing as antiseptic or antibiotics. Visit Medieval times? End up being burned at the stake or getting the bubonic plague. As for WW2? No thanks. Unless we could change history. Make sure a certain painter dropped dead in Austria.
Although I would like to be able to have a conversation with such historical figures such as Moses, Leonardo Da Vinci, Beethoven, and Einstein.

Triopoly Champion

I would definitely go for the "star trek" idea of visiting without being exposed to the dangers. You want to go to ancient Rome or Greece? If you scratch your knee there is no such thing as antiseptic or antibiotics. Visit Medieval times? End up being burned at the stake or getting the bubonic plague. As for WW2? No thanks. Unless we could change history. Make sure a certain painter dropped dead in Austria.
Although I would like to be able to have a conversation with such historical figures such as Moses, Leonardo Da Vinci, Beethoven, and Einstein.
If you could time travel back to March or April 2020 to the United States, why must you pick New York City? There are plenty of other options on the stake. Not every city was an epicenter of coronavirus, at least not in Idaho or in Wyoming back then.