• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Tip on joining a Guild

nsiebold

Before you decide to join a Guild, it might be a good idea to look at some of the members and see what Age they are in, especially if you are a trader. The simplest (but not foolproof) way to do this is by looking at their scores.

I say this because I run a Guild where most of the membership is PE or lower. We have a few FE and higher members but not many. I had one member who posted a message about wanting a trade for goods to build an Arctic Orangery (he was only LMA...why he wanted to build an AO is beyond me, but I digress). Then a couple of days later he posted another message about being frustrated because his trade request went unanswered. I then explained to him our Guild's situation, that the majority of the Guild probably didn't have the goods that he was wanting. He apparently wasn't having any of it and left, but not before sending me a reply suggesting I do something that I dare not repeat here.

The bottom line is this: people can not trade goods that they do not have.

Johnny B. Goode

nsiebold

That as a guild leader you should understand why someone (yes, even someone in LMA) would want to build an AO. Having a guild leader that doesn't understand something that basic is a problem for the members of that guild.

If I understand what you're saying, most people who play this GAME play the end first before finishing the beginning.

nsiebold

What I really want to know is why someone from a lower age would want to build a super-advanced (for their city's age) Great Building?

"You don't even know what you don't know" - Donald Rumsfeld

Agent327

So you run a Guild. You had a guildmember that is in LMA ask for a trade for AO goods an you have no idea why. Rather than ask him wy he wants to build an AO, you just ignore it. Then after being ignored for a couple of days, he complains and you finally decide to give him an answer. When that makes him leave you decide to go to the forum to give others tips on joining a Guid, where in fact you are incompetent to run one.That makes total sense.

CaptainKirk1234

If I understand what you're saying, most people who play this GAME play the end first before finishing the beginning.
There is no exact way to play it, people just want to have fun, and if having a AO is what they want to do, let them... it is perfectly normal, I am in IA and I have a Arc, HC, CF, and some others... they work for me, help me, and make it funner for ME. So who cares how you play it as long as they are having fun.

nsiebold

There is no exact way to play it, people just want to have fun, and if having a AO is what they want to do, let them... it is perfectly normal, I am in IA and I have a Arc, HC, CF, and some others... they work for me, help me, and make it funner for ME. So who cares how you play it as long as they are having fun.
100000%

nsiebold

So you run a Guild. You had a guildmember that is in LMA ask for a trade for AO goods an you have no idea why. Rather than ask him wy he wants to build an AO, you just ignore it. Then after being ignored for a couple of days, he complains and you finally decide to give him an answer. When that makes him leave you decide to go to the forum to give others tips on joining a Guid, where in fact you are incompetent to run one.That makes total sense.
If you go through the series of events leading up to my original post, you may understand better:

First, this (now former) Guild member posts a message asking for goods to build an Arctic Orangery. I ignore the message because, although I did have AF goods, I couldn't spare any as I was saving those for other projects (such as searching for Promethium). Then a couple of days later I noticed that he posted another message in response to another member who was also expressing his frustrations over the same tactic. The former Guildie said, "This Guild doesn't give about other player's needs." This statement prompted a response from me. I told him that most of our membership was in PE or lower and probably didn't have those goods on hand. I also said that if he was unhappy, he was welcome to leave.

That whole situation prompted me to post here. I had initially assumed that people who like to trade for high level goods would join or seek out Guilds with some of the members being around the age of the goods that they are seeking. After seeing many of these goods-seeking messages go unanswered and unfulfilled (and especially after the situation I described above), I felt a reminder was in order.

If that makes me incompetent, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorbackPirate

Reading your summary above, the issue for me is that you chose to simply not respond. That's what made another guild member say, "you don't..."

Seems you don't, or you would have responded, even with a no. You are the leader, correct?

I also don't think you have any clue what we're talking about. You have no clue why an LMA player would want to build an AO and no idea how they would go about getting the goods to do it.

People do it every day. I built an Arc in HMA, an HC and TA in LMA, my AO in CA. Wonder why I'd want to do that? How in the world did I ever get the goods? I didn't trade up goods from those ages, I can tell you that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

If you go through the series of events leading up to my original post, you may understand better:

First, this (now former) Guild member posts a message asking for goods to build an Arctic Orangery. I ignore the message because, although I did have AF goods, I couldn't spare any as I was saving those for other projects (such as searching for Promethium). Then a couple of days later I noticed that he posted another message in response to another member who was also expressing his frustrations over the same tactic. The former Guildie said, "This Guild doesn't give about other player's needs." This statement prompted a response from me. I told him that most of our membership was in PE or lower and probably didn't have those goods on hand. I also said that if he was unhappy, he was welcome to leave.

That whole situation prompted me to post here. I had initially assumed that people who like to trade for high level goods would join or seek out Guilds with some of the members being around the age of the goods that they are seeking. After seeing many of these goods-seeking messages go unanswered and unfulfilled (and especially after the situation I described above), I felt a reminder was in order.

I understand from the get go. You are not saying anything new now and based on your comments, you are not competent to run a guild let alone tell others what to look for when joining a guild.

Johnny B. Goode

Yes, I do now understand better. When I read your first post I didn't think you should be a guild leader simply based on lack of game knowledge. Now I understand that you are simply unfit to lead FoE players (or probably any other game). These are the signs:
First, this (now former) Guild member posts a message asking for goods to build an Arctic Orangery. I ignore the message because...
Honestly, "because" doesn't matter. You are the guild leader and are apparently one of the players above PE. The least you could do is explain why you chose not to provide the goods. A good guild leader would then ask around (if they didn't already know) and refer the member(s) to a goods seller who could help them out. Next:
Then a couple of days later I noticed that he posted another message in response to another member who was also expressing his frustrations over the same tactic. The former Guildie said, "This Guild doesn't give about other player's needs." This statement prompted a response from me.
So you respond to members when they voice their valid opinion that you don't care about their needs, but not when they express their needs in the first place. Classically bad leadership practice. And to make it worse, you tell them this:
I also said that if he was unhappy, he was welcome to leave.
First you show that you don't care about their needs. Then when you do respond to their valid complaint, you prove that you don't care about their needs...or them, for that matter. Next, the pièce de résistance.
That whole situation prompted me to post here.
Why? Seriously, why? How did you think you were going to benefit from posting about this situation here? Did you really think other guild leaders would commiserate with you? Did you think we would say, "How sad that those nasty guild members don't appreciate that you have needs, too."? And the best part about your original post is that you left out a couple of crucial details that really get at why you're unfit to lead a guild. Namely:
I did have AF goods,
And:
I was saving those for other projects (such as searching for Promethium).
Along with this little gem:
I had initially assumed that people who like to trade for high level goods would join or seek out Guilds with some of the members being around the age of the goods that they are seeking.
YOU ARE LITERALLY IN OR AROUND THE AGE OF THE HIGH LEVEL GOODS HE WAS SEEKING! By your own words, he should have believed he had joined an appropriate guild. Taken all together, it leads me to respond to this...
...by saying, "Yes, that makes you incompetent."

Fishercat.

Before you decide to join a Guild, it might be a good idea to look at some of the members and see what Age they are in, especially if you are a trader. ...The bottom line is this: people can not trade goods that they do not have.

Of course they can't. But guilds can maintain a list of goods sellers to pass along to guildmates looking for GB sets.

Everyone else has been harsh, but they're essentially right. You're doing a poor job of looking after your people. When your players have questions you can answer, you do. When they have questions you can't answer, you say so, and try to find out what they need to know. Planting GB more advanced than your age is extremely common.