• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Trading Down Experiment

CommanderCool1234

I thought I would try to trade down some goods and see how much many goods I could gain from it. I wont be using spreadsheets I will just right out what I traded and for how much. I started with 225 Alabaster and paid 50 forge points to trade for 450 industrial filters.

Bellow I will write what I started with and what I traded it for:

450 Industrial Filters for 900 Ferroconcrete

900 Ferroconcrete for 1,400 Tinplate

1,400 Tinplate for 2,000 Textiles

2,000 Textiles for 2,880 Wires

2880 Wires for 5760 Silk

Since this is something that I am still working on I will edit this message when I do some more trades.

Last edited:

CommanderCool1234

I will proceed by doing 1.4 to 2 trades, I would also like to say the purpose of this is to see if trading down still works and can be done in a normal amount of time.

Emberguard

It's not that it doesn't work (it does still work), but it has the same flaws as a pyramid scheme. By trading down you're shuffling around resources without adding into it. It'll still be lucrative to trade down though as long as there's more being generated into the market then what's being taken out in your social circle through trading down.

CommanderCool1234

It's not that it doesn't work (it does still work), but it has the same flaws as a pyramid scheme. By trading down you're shuffling around resources without adding into it. It'll still be lucrative to trade down though as long as there's more being generated into the market then what's being taken out in your social circle through trading down.
I am in Iron age in my second city so I used EMA goods which I happened to have.

Vger

I will proceed by doing 1.4 to 2 trades
You started out at 1:2 ( 450 Industrial Filters for 900 Ferroconcrete ). Why did you work down to 1.4:2? Did the market not support 1:2?
If I did the math right, your 2,000 textiles should work down to 10,756 IA goods, using 1.4.
Are there even10K IA goods up for trade in your marketplace right now? If so, how many are looking to trade up?

I've seen a lot of players try this lately. I've even taken a lot of the trades to shred some of my lower age goods. But I suspect you saturate the market at some point (settling for 1.4 vs. 2 is a hint). Once this strategy sucks up excess goods, you are left with IA players needing to crank out 10K to fill your trades AND they need to want the LMA goods. Most in IA won't produce that many goods. Campers/DF'ers will, but do they want to trade up?

Curious how this works out in the end. Do update this thread.

CommanderCool1234

You started out at 1:2 ( 450 Industrial Filters for 900 Ferroconcrete ). Why did you work down to 1.4:2? Did the market not support 1:2?
If I did the math right, your 2,000 textiles should work down to 10,756 IA goods, using 1.4.
Are there even10K IA goods up for trade in your marketplace right now? If so, how many are looking to trade up?
I started doing 1:1 trades then I did 1.2:2 then I did 1.4:2
I did this to help out my guild not because they weren't being accepted at 1:2

CommanderCool1234

I've seen a lot of players try this lately. I've even taken a lot of the trades to shred some of my lower age goods. But I suspect you saturate the market at some point (settling for 1.4 vs. 2 is a hint). Once this strategy sucks up excess goods, you are left with IA players needing to crank out 10K to fill your trades AND they need to want the LMA goods. Most in IA won't produce that many goods. Campers/DF'ers will, but do they want to trade up?

I guess there is not point in doing 1.4 if 1.2 was working so I will be switching back to 1.2

The final trade will be EMA for IA so the IA players will need to want EMA goods.

I will continue updating this thread and keep in mind most trades are being taken by guild mates because most of my friends are other IA players.

Johnny B. Goode

Curious as to whether you're posting one big trade or multiple smaller ones. I guess if your guild mates are taking them all it doesn't matter much, since there is no FP cost to taking them.

I think I'll do a similar experiment. However, I will start with 100 VF goods and try to get 1:2 all the way down. Also, I am in a solo guild on the world where I'm going to try this, so progress may be slow, or worse yet nonexistent.

CaptainKirk1234

You have a problem, it is good to start off with a lot of goods but trades over 1000 are not allowed, so you have to break them down.

CaptainKirk1234

I started with 10 progresive era goods and got 500 of each IA good, it took less than 10 min.

ahsay

The problem is not the trading but the loss of FPs. If you're buying goods those valuable FPs are going to goods and not GBs. I'd rather level.

DreadfulCadillac

Maybe i should make a thread detailing my process of doing this, but ill start in saab instead with 20 nickel. (i already have the 20 nickel) curious if i can actually trade it down to like 10s of thousands of low age goods still, or if ive lost my touch with that

Algona

The problem is not the trading but the loss of FPs. If you're buying goods those valuable FPs are going to goods and not GBs. I'd rather level.

I'm not seeing much of a ptoblem.

paid 50 forge points ...2,000 Textiles

Note there are more trades to go.

50 FP on a GB or thousands of Goods to invest in negotiating GBG?

This is a problem?

Embergard is right, but until (if?) the markets run dry, the potential here for accelerating new city development blows the doors off any other techniques. .

Easily the best way to develope a new city in the Age of GBG is to join a Platinum or Diamond Guild and get good at GBG and power an Arc.

The question is which is better: Taking the time to get good at GBG to enable powering Arc or vice versa?

This technique short circuits getting good at GBG by giving the player the capability to do a lot of GBG Advances in days or weeks instead of months.

If this can work consistently it will revolutionize new city creation.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results from you folks trying this and hoping some will try it in new cities.

Good stuff, good thread..

Last edited:

Emberguard

Embergard is right, but until (if?) the markets run dry, the potential here for accelerating new city development blows the doors off any other techniques. .
It's definitely worth attempting no matter how dry the markets become. Even if you were to completely and utterly fail trading down you're not going to have your progress set back by spending 10-50 FPs on the investment. And unlike pyramid schemes in real life where you'd be stuck with a bunch of worthless junk you can't use if you fail to trade it onto someone else, those goods you'd buy in FoE can still be utilized later on when you age up. It's a pretty low cost, low risk investment even in the worst case scenario

Stay Rita

I traded 50 SAAB goods that I got for FREE and turned them into an Arc set, Traz set, and a CDM set plus small amounts of 50 random goods from FE to VF.