• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

U.S. Election Projections -- Let's hear yours

DeletedUser

One scenario not many people talk about: neither candidate gets 270 electoral votes and the House of Representatives decides on the next President. Very possible this election.

DeletedUser34

One scenario not many people talk about: neither candidate gets 270 electoral votes and the House of Representatives decides on the next President. Very possible this election.
I am cool with it :D Romney would win.

DeletedUser

Romney's trying to appeal to both conservative (a) wackos and (b) moderates alike, and I don't think he's doing particularly well at either, even if the scare campaigns are hurting Obama. At the end of the day, even if people hold off voting for Obama, I don't see them jumping on the Romney bandwagon to produce a large swing. Adding to the original CNN version, presuming that all leaning states fall as predicted, I'd expect Wisconsin and New Hampshire to be retained by the democrats. From there it wouldn't be hard to imagine Ohio and either Iowa or Nevada making up the 19 more votes needed, nor would I rule Florida safely republican if Romney flunks out in the debates.

Hope this works...

DeletedUser3

Meh, not really all that possible. Assuming the toss-up and leaning States, there's only about 11 different, and unlikely, possible combinations that would result in the magic number of 269 for both candidates. There are 538 total electoral votes / 2 = 269. In other words, ONLY if Obama/Romney TIE will the House be allowed to vote, and even then the House would require a two-thirds participation within the House of Representatives in order for a majority vote to count. Add to this, the vote will need to occur before the 4th of March. If such a vote does not occur, then the standing Vice-President (Biden) becomes the U.S. President for that term (4 years).

To make it clear, even in the exceedingly unlikely event of an electoral tie occurring (269/269), the Republicans do not have a two-thirds majority (290) sitting in the House. The Republicans have 241 Representatives, Democrats have 191. The Democrats can, and likely would, take turns showing up at the House of Representatives to ensure there is never more than 288 total Representatives attending House sessions up until March 5th, thereby preventing a House vote for the President.

It is reasonable to assume that IF a tie were to occur, Biden will become the President.

Something to consider. ;)

DeletedUser

Okay, so presenting a new map. Locking in Colorado for President Obama and putting Virginia back on the table at Romney's expense.

CNN Electoral Map