• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

U.S. Manufacturing Resurgence

DeletedUser3

http://economywatch.msnbc.msn.com/_...2-china-slowdown-threatens-us-factory-revival

Excerpt:

Low wages and low-cost manufacturing used to make Chinese markets tough for U.S. manufacturers to break into. Today, rising wages in China are giving American companies second thoughts about moving their manufacturing jobs to China, Greenblatt said.

“All of a sudden, if your math says, ‘I’ve got to pay the guy $7.50 an hour in Shanghai or I can hire a guy for $12 a hour in Canton, Ohio,’ why would I do it in Shanghai?” said Greenblatt. “I’ve got intellectual property issues over there, there’s no rule of law, there’s a lot of corruption. Plus if I make it here, I get the stuff six weeks faster: there’s no freight. So a lot of the reasons to push jobs overseas are starting to fall apart.”

Thoughts?

DeletedUser34

I think that with the villianization of large corporate companies, and the front line view of those who own mom and pop companies, the mom and pops have found a nitch they haven't had in years. To go further into and clarify my thought, with the big bad wolves being labeled onto the fortune 500 companies, the high unemployment costs etc etc, people are willing to pay more for their products if it in turn gives back something INSIDE the US. I know I do. I don't think the Apples, and the Microsofts, and the Levi's etc etc, will be coming home anytime soon, as there is no incentive for them to do so. We buy their products regardless. But, the mom and pop businesses have an opportunity to corner a market of patriot pride, and I think in those cases the above comment is very accurate.

DeletedUser

I think with gas going on 5 bucks a gallon. Them now charging not only for the water coming into the house, but also the water going out, $150,000 in student loans (and so on and so forth). They have made taking pride in buying "made in the USA" something that you can not afford. There was a time when the week was over you had some money left. Now when the money is gone, you still have some week left. While I would like to help ma & pa my money has to go "made in china" or I have to go without.

As for the OP.... This just seems something they like to write about to make people feel good. The company has to pay 1/2 for unemployment cost. If they have full medical/dental/vision insurance, that $12 an hour quickly becomes $25 an hour. Not to mention what happens when a union steps into the picture. Now that $12 an hour becomes $50 an hour. With having your workforce in China, you do not have all of these burdens. Toss in the fact with the current tax laws, you get to write off your losses as you see fit. Why have them work here? Look at GE for example. Made billions in profit, but wrote off the losses in the US. So while on paper they lost almost 5 billion here, they did not pay a penny in taxes just by putting the books to fit the laws.....

"For those unaccustomed to the loopholes and shelters of the corporate tax code, GE's success at avoiding taxes is nothing short of extraordinary. The company, led by Immelt, earned $14.2 billion in profits in 2010, but it paid not a penny in taxes because the bulk of those profits, some $9 billion, were offshore. In fact, GE got a $3.2 billion tax benefit." (World News)

It will take more then paying the worker in china a higher wage to make business come back to the states.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Who said "no rule of law" and corruption rife were a bad thing for exploitative business, the kind of transnational corporations that uses cheap foreign labour to make an unethical buck? They need not care for worker's rights, taxes are unheard of and not a union in sight. Corruption is merely a tool to maintain this beneficial state.

Similarly, the other alleged downsides listed by this article are not so bad for big business. If I'm producing goods at a constant rate then I don't give a crap how long it takes to ship goods, I have a steady stream to sell. Unless it's perishable, why do I care whether it was made a week ago at a local factory or a month ago at an overseas sweatshop? Intellectual property is the only potential downside, but that's certainly not a reason "starting to fall apart"... Oh, and $4.50 a piece is not worth the patriotism tag, cash is king.

DeletedUser34

I happen to think that we are cutting off our toes. I think we need to figure out a way to make it worth while to corporate america to bring jobs back. Until they do, nothing will change. I don't think they are against american jobs, but it makes no since to do so. For example, if you want corporation to come back: revamp the tax codes. Make them have an incentive to hire americans. My thoughts, and this is sure to bring a certain someone out of the woodwork :p

Lower employee taxes. Raise the minimum wage in return. Make healthcare non profit so that they can't raise the rates in order to make a profit. Get tort reform so that the doctors aren't sued for dumb stuff, and open insurance across state lines to promote competition....this will lower employee / employer overhead. Making it more affordable all around. By doing this raising the minimum wages less painful. Also make the "increase" a percent across the board. It burns me up I get paid 20 dollars for something I have been doing 17 years, and some smuck who has no work ethic at McDonalds can make almost 10.....

Here is where Hell will come screaming at me....
Get rid of welfare, and medical. This would be feasible if you offered a higher wage, and a reasonable insurance, because more people would be out there working. More companies would be hiring because they have less risk involved with the employee process. By having more people at work, and less reason to move overseas, more companies would hire here at home.

Secondly, in regards to the high gas....it is what happens when we rely on foreign sources for something that we are quite capable of sustaining here at home. It is our own fault the gas is so dang high.

I, personally see how inflation is skyrocketing, and I sat down and decided what was most important to me....Do I want to travel and shop the same? I mean me without my mall and boutique? I'd die. Me without Disney? Oh HECK NO!!! So I decided to blend households and cut overhead, so I have the ability to do these things still. It is all about what is important to you. My friend has a huge truck, 44's and all that. A real gas guzzler....they wanted their truck so they thought outside the box. They built a house for him and his brothers family to share the overhead. You don't always get your cake and eat it to...to expect so is just plain unreasonable. That said, because I did reevaluate my life style, I can afford to buy American....AND DO because it is a value that is important to me. If it isn't that important to you, you can't blame the convenience of foreign goods for your lack of willingness to do what it takes to by American.

On a side note: I will not buy any american car except a ford, because IMO if you took the bailout because you can't control your own greed, mismanagement and the blasted unions......you disgust me. Ford however did not take a bailout, and fixed their issues from the inside, and I have mad respect for that.

DeletedUser

You get my vote for president. If they would reward the company that employs a US work force (100 percent workforce here = 100 percent tax break). 80 percent gets you 80 and so on. Now there is a reason to manufacture here. Put unions back to what they were intended to be. To protect the workers. Not to insure a starting wage of $99 an hour to work for an auto maker.

Reduce the size and role of the government. More money is wasted then is actually ever spent. They have committees that cost 50 million dollars to figure out how to spend 25 million lol

Revamp the "entitlements" to see what people are really "entitled" to.

And for the love of God... Take the blinders off most people. How can you be upset with a CEO that employs thousands, for making 4 million a year. Yet see no problem with an actor that makes 40 million per movie or a guy that gets 15 million a year because he can dunk a basketball? These are the "rich" that need to be taxed. At best they employ a maid. If you want to help the american business, take your foot off of their breathing tube when they are already on life support.

DeletedUser

Lower employee taxes. Raise the minimum wage in return. Make healthcare non profit so that they can't raise the rates in order to make a profit. Get tort reform so that the doctors aren't sued for dumb stuff, and open insurance across state lines to promote competition....this will lower employee / employer overhead. Making it more affordable all around. By doing this raising the minimum wages less painful. Also make the "increase" a percent across the board. It burns me up I get paid 20 dollars for something I have been doing 17 years, and some smuck who has no work ethic at McDonalds can make almost 10.....

Here is where Hell will come screaming at me....
Get rid of welfare, and medical. This would be feasible if you offered a higher wage, and a reasonable insurance, because more people would be out there working. More companies would be hiring because they have less risk involved with the employee process. By having more people at work, and less reason to move overseas, more companies would hire here at home.
Lower employee taxes, raise the minimum wage? Who is possibly expecting the U.S. government to fund this, or rather, allow the corporations strangling it to pass minimum wage increases? I also seriously question the logic that eliminating welfare payments will magically eliminate unemployment. Creating more jobs will minimise total welfare costs, not sentencing all unemployed to the downward spiral of poverty.

DeletedUser34

ahhh yes I agree, but as of right now the companies that produce the majority of the jobs aren't hiring locally. You have to figure out a way to make it employer friendly. And if you lower the taxes, that allows for more money to hike the pay. You hike the pay for more people, and give them insurance, and that will delete the need for welfare, unless the person is just to lazy to get a job.

The more folks working the more money the government will bring in....and getting rid of the welfare sstem the way it is, well the fact that that will save taxpayers a ton of money is a no brainer.

DeletedUser

ahhh yes I agree, but as of right now the companies that produce the majority of the jobs aren't hiring locally. You have to figure out a way to make it employer friendly. And if you lower the taxes, that allows for more money to hike the pay. You hike the pay for more people, and give them insurance, and that will delete the need for welfare, unless the person is just to lazy to get a job.

The more folks working the more money the government will bring in....and getting rid of the welfare sstem the way it is, well the fact that that will save taxpayers a ton of money is a no brainer.
Companies that produce the majority of jobs are employer friendly, haven't you seen the extortionate amount that executives are paid these days? :p For companies keeping their head above water the problem isn't the lack of capital but the lack of incentive to invest it locally; higher revenue will simply be split between dividends, executive bonuses and foreign investment (not low paid workers' pockets, I might add). Where there is more rate of return (with acceptable risk), money flows. Really, it's like giving the school yard bully more pocket money so they have "more to share" and will feel less worried giving excess away - it ain't gonna work. Your next argument is trying to have your cake and eat it too. If the government lowers taxes but there are more citizens paying tax, the government doesn't make a profit, it breaks even. Now breaking even is fine if the net result is surplus, where interest can be gained, however in the current state it just leads to ever building debt through interest paid. Back to China, of all places.

If you want to encourage local investment then you need a smarter tax system, not a cheaper one. Increase duty taxes, lower any sales taxes, mandate offshore profits are included as taxable income; anything you can do to bridge the gap between local and foreign without necessarily altering net tax revenue. If such measures could start to bring my profit ratio from $7.50 : $12 to $10 : $12 then, as the original topic [falsely] suggests, it may begin to return being worth investing locally. However, until the global economy picks up, consumers have more cash in their pockets (read: income tax reform) and the potential profits merge close enough, no amount of marketing and patriotism will help bridge the gap.

DeletedUser

Companies that produce the majority of jobs are employer friendly, haven't you seen the extortionate amount that executives are paid these days? :p For companies keeping their head above water the problem isn't the lack of capital but the lack of incentive to invest it locally; higher revenue will simply be split between dividends, executive bonuses and foreign investment (not low paid workers' pockets, I might add). Where there is more rate of return (with acceptable risk), money flows. Really, it's like giving the school yard bully more pocket money so they have "more to share" and will feel less worried giving excess away - it ain't gonna work. Your next argument is trying to have your cake and eat it too. If the government lowers taxes but there are more citizens paying tax, the government doesn't make a profit, it breaks even. Now breaking even is fine if the net result is surplus, where interest can be gained, however in the current state it just leads to ever building debt through interest paid. Back to China, of all places.

If you want to encourage local investment then you need a smarter tax system, not a cheaper one. Increase duty taxes, lower any sales taxes, mandate offshore profits are included as taxable income; anything you can do to bridge the gap between local and foreign without necessarily altering net tax revenue. If such measures could start to bring my profit ratio from $7.50 : $12 to $10 : $12 then, as the original topic [falsely] suggests, it may begin to return being worth investing locally. However, until the global economy picks up, consumers have more cash in their pockets (read: income tax reform) and the potential profits merge close enough, no amount of marketing and patriotism will help bridge the gap.

Please have a look at the Fair Tax -----> www.fairtax.org