• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Unfair fight

Johnny B. Goode

So I think your comment about obsolescence, and endlessly spending applies to only a few people.
I think you missed my point. I wasn't necessarily talking about "endlessly spending". Even when I was spending money, I never wasted it on multiple event buildings. Not once. And my point is that doing it even once is a waste of money because they become obsolete pretty quickly. They look impressive, but it is no smarter than wasting Diamonds on Build menu premium buildings. Or worse, unlocking Diamond slots in military buildings.

I do have experience with dealing with people who spend a lot of money on diamonds and I agree that they have an unfair advantage. I would rather the diamond-spenders should have different neighborhood if FoE has the AI to do that.

DevaCat

OP says ftp players should not have to fight the pay to play players. Remember? The question is: should the two be segregated.

My answer is no. Inno apparently agrees as they have rejected separate servers or neighborhoods or any of the other ideas players have come up with to make it easier on themselves. Personally, I am ftp simply because my budget does not allow spending on an Internet game. I do not look down my nose at those who are willing to spend. On the contrary, I am grateful that people are willing to spend so that I do not (cannot) have to. I am under no illusion that someone who spends real money cannot gain an advantage. But so what? So far, in my game, the spenders have not negatively impacted my game. To the contrary, those people have tended to help me up my game.

@Mustapha00, your posts in this thread are pretty much a parcel with your long running dislike of the use of rogues, Alcatraz, the city defense AI, and here other people's use of diamonds ( money) to achieve what they wish to achieve. The game is what it is. It has been said the poor horse has been beaten, but I will not hold my breath.

ahsay

And those who cannot, for whatever reason, avail themselves of that advantage will continue to suffer a competitive disadvantage and will- rightfully- complain about it. Get used to it.

Then there are those like me who say, money is there to be spent, so spend. If you want; imagine their kids don't have diapers, candy canes or kumquat jelly.

RazorbackPirate

Frugality. You must be wealthy having never spent a dime on a candy bar, a movie, a drink. All ephemeral things. Eat beans and rice, drink tap water. wear hand me down clothing. All to not spend money, to not waste it. I bet you chide all your neighbors to be more frugal too.
You say that like it's a bad thing. And yes, working hard and being frugal over the years has made me wealthy, and debt free. I certainly don't chide others about what they choose to do with their money, I also don't accept being chided on how I choose not to spend my money.

While I choose not to spend my money on a game I can play for free, I'm grateful for those that do, understanding it's their spending that allows me to play for free. As such, I don't much care what advantages their spending supposedly gives over me, any advantage is ephemeral, fleeting, with little effect on me or my city.

Spend away, I thank you.

Johnny B. Goode

THen

Frugality. You must be wealthy having never spent a dime on a candy bar, a movie, a drink. All ephemeral things. Eat beans and rice, drink tap water. wear hand me down clothing. All to not spend money, to not waste it. I bet you chide all your neighbors to be more furgal too.
Apples and oranges here. Frugality is not the subject of this discussion. Wasting money is. That may seem like the same thing to you, but it's not. You can spend thousands of dollars without wasting a dime of it. Or you can spend 50 cents that is entirely wasted. As I said, I once spent plenty on this game. But it wasn't wasted on buildings that would be obsolete in a relatively short time.

Interestingly enough, earlier in the life of this game it actually wasn't as much of a waste. That's because powerful event buildings were fewer and farther between. Since power creep has accelerated to warp speed, however, it is ridiculously wasteful to spend hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars for multiple copies of any event building.

-Edmund the Just-

But how does their city advancement affect you in any way? Being plundered? There's ways to avoid that. GBG? Join a diamond league guild and ride their wave. You can get a substantial amount of fights and negotiations in even if you're going against a stronger guild(s) that season. And some seasons you even win.

Aside from those two baseless excuses, there is absolutely no way that another person's spending has an affect on you. Sure you progress slower than them, but what's it matter to you? Enjoy the game how you play it and improve on it. You're more than capable of making a diamond farm or two, camping it out in Iron Age with a CF.

I've played and done my research on a fair share of popular, competitive games and this is the farthest from p2w. It helps but its not necessary. You look at a game like Lords Mobile where you have several aspects that take $20k+ to level fully to be considered somewhat competitive, I don't think you have any room to complain about the micro transactions in this game - especially when other people's spending doesn't impact you.
This is very wrong. Most aspects of the game pay-to-win players just advance faster and irritate the players that don't pay, but league events like the fall event or the Soccer event are determined by how many diamonds players spend. In the fall event (I do not buy diamonds) I got all the set pieces but was only able to level up my harvest barn to level 3 because I failed to make it into the top 3 leagues. I even spent 300 diamonds I had earned by not paying for them, and kept my ingredients balanced, but because of big diamonds spenders, my fp collection is 8fps smaller from just one event. Diamond spenders are not only accelerating their growth, but they are hindering growth of other players. So they do have an effect on other players.

wolfhoundtoo

This is very wrong. Most aspects of the game pay-to-win players just advance faster and irritate the players that don't pay, but league events like the fall event or the Soccer event are determined by how many diamonds players spend. In the fall event (I do not buy diamonds) I got all the set pieces but was only able to level up my harvest barn to level 3 because I failed to make it into the top 3 leagues. I even spent 300 diamonds I had earned by not paying for them, and kept my ingredients balanced, but because of big diamonds spenders, my fp collection is 8fps smaller from just one event. Diamond spenders are not only accelerating their growth, but they are hindering growth of other players. So they do have an effect on other players.

No. those leagues exist to get them players to get money. FTPs didn't lose anything because that add on to an event was solely meant to make Inno revenue and you lost nothing. You just didn't get something.

RazorbackPirate

Where talking about the online games lol not the world
Nice backpedal. Complete with an edit to your original post to complete charade. (falsehood? lie?)

. 1609606251286.png

It's okay though, I hear backpedaling is good for your legs. No, that's not right. It's pedaling backwards that's good for your legs. Backpedaling just makes you look... Well, you know how it makes you look, we all know how it makes you look.

Glockgemini

Most of the players that complain about other players in their hood having advantages in combat are those that tend to race through the tech tree, take no time to organize their city for efficiency, and do not harvest their production regularly. In essence, amateurs.

Algona

Where talking about the online games lol not the world

I <3 this post. Reminds me of watching a cat trying to cover up a deuce they dropped on a brick patio.

No matter how much they work at it the deuce was still there.

I quoted your original post in my response to that post.

Thanks for a good chuckle though.

Emberguard

When it comes to the idea of actually separating pay to play from free to play it would need a lot of expanding on how far to take it and how to implement such a thing. When you say "pay to play" are you including everyone that's ever spent diamonds? Or are you only saying those that spend X amount or more? What if those that bought diamonds didn't spend them on buildings? What if they spent them on buildings but not expansions? What if they bought diamonds to support the game but never actually spent those diamonds? What about those that spent on one specific aspect of the game? Should they be separated into a group that spent on developing everything even if they didn't spend on every aspect?

I'd argue your understanding of game mechanics, city layout skills and networking within the game play a far bigger role in your game success then whether or not you spend money. Yes getting that extra building(s) from diamonds gives a nice boost to your city development. But there's many resources available that can be built up and can't be touched by plunderers or that can still reach the same / similar position with time. I've seen many instances of players accused of being diamond spenders who don't actually have anything in their city that would require diamonds to obtain in the quantities visible. They just have a well designed city and are completing the events

If you want to compete with those in the neighbourhood my advice would be to work on your city layout and networking skills. Doesn't matter how many buildings you gather if you can't place them even when you have the space to place them. Your city layout will determine how much you can place down.

Your networking skills will allow you to get into advanced Great Buildings. If you don't want to do that then networking will allow you to trade goods in your current era or below as you need them. It also helps you speed up the development of whatever Great Buildings you decide to place so instead of taking years it might only take months. In the case of a neighbourhood with a regular plunderer it helps protect you through the development of your Tavern and the aiding of your buildings.

For every aspect you believe pay to play has a advantage on there are strategies you can utilize to compete under the current format. If you need help in growing your city I'm sure there are players here who can help you devise some strategies on that (whether you'd like those strategies is another matter altogether)