• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Universal upgrade kits

DeletedUser35550

Not sure it has been proposed - too many people have half finished Special events buildings - and a lot of the time upgrades aren't available the following year - why not have an upgrade that will work on any Special events building available during the special and timeline events

Super Catanian

While I wouldn't be opposed to it, that might be way to powerful. Besides, if you didn't earn it, you don't deserve it. Same logic applies to rewards from Great Buildings.

Last edited by a moderator:

UBERhelp1

There have been many proposals with the same idea. And my opinion is thus: If you can't get a fully leveled event building by the end of an event (pending certain instances, ie starting with a few days to go), then why should you get the prize?

Additionally, if there was a universal upgrade kit I'd be able to put down another levelled Mill of Fall, Winter Spire, etc. That's unbalanced. And that doesn't include tholoi, colossi, ships, and many more buildings that players have at low levels or level 1.

Super Catanian

Additionally, if there was a universal upgrade kit I'd be able to put down another levelled Mill of Fall, Winter Spire, etc. That's unbalanced. And that doesn't include tholoi, colossi, ships, and many more buildings that players have at low levels or level 1.
The Yggdrasil and Greater Runestone would be others that can be affected.
Your proposal doesn't mention any potential abuse, which, if it were to be implemented as-is, would result in a lot of chaos.

-1 BIG NO.

DeletedUser38090

too many people have half finished Special events buildings
I'll give my same spiel that I've given the last time that I've said it here:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...grade-anything-add-a-level.25575/#post-242050

If you choose to only put in half the effort to completing the event questline, you deserve whatever consequences you get from from that decision. It really doesn't make sense to put in half the effort/not understand the event, and expect fully upgraded main event buildings.

qaccy

I don't really see the problem with this. People seem to think that if these were added to the game, they'd be raining from the sky. Don't you think they'd be a tad more rare than that if they were ever added to the game? Or at the very least, expensive such that it's still preferred to upgrade as many buildings as possible the 'normal' way. I've got up to 16 Ships in inventory that I'm likely never going to be able to do anything with, along with a Grand Bridge with two upgrades and a Tholos with one. This stuff's going to just rot in my inventory since these buildings seem to be forgotten about after the event is over, but I cling to them in the hope that eventually that changes.

Of course, with power creep on buildings over the years it's unlikely that this suggestion is really that overpowered at all. New stuff is continually coming out to replace the old stuff since making the new stuff strictly better is a great way to guarantee that old stuff eventually gets replaced anyway.

mamboking053

I don't really see the problem with this. People seem to think that if these were added to the game, they'd be raining from the sky. Don't you think they'd be a tad more rare than that if they were ever added to the game? Or at the very least, expensive such that it's still preferred to upgrade as many buildings as possible the 'normal' way. I've got up to 16 Ships in inventory that I'm likely never going to be able to do anything with, along with a Grand Bridge with two upgrades and a Tholos with one. This stuff's going to just rot in my inventory since these buildings seem to be forgotten about after the event is over, but I cling to them in the hope that eventually that changes.

Of course, with power creep on buildings over the years it's unlikely that this suggestion is really that overpowered at all. New stuff is continually coming out to replace the old stuff since making the new stuff strictly better is a great way to guarantee that old stuff eventually gets replaced anyway.

I think the problem is that it would make completing the actual event less of a priority. Part of the business model is people spending diamonds out of frustration or anxiety that they won't be able to get the max level whatever is being offered. Remove that fear and it means a reduction in revenue.

I think the only time I have seen the opportunity to complete max level event buildings/sets offered, they were doing it for a diamond price that would have been considerably more expensive than if you paid diamonds during the event, and even then they only give you a limited amount of them.

mamboking053

There have been many proposals with the same idea. And my opinion is thus: If you can't get a fully leveled event building by the end of an event (pending certain instances, ie starting with a few days to go), then why should you get the prize?

Additionally, if there was a universal upgrade kit I'd be able to put down another leveled Mill of Fall, Winter Spire, etc. That's unbalanced. And that doesn't include tholoi, colossi, ships, and many more buildings that players have at low levels or level 1.

I'm not completely opposed to it.

I don't believe the issue is balance. There are people with 40+ Tholos's in their city. As far as I can see, there is no real limit to how many of each event building Inno will allow you to have save the amount of time available to get it and the resources you are willing to spend.

If the idea is that Inno wants you to attend the event, than why does Inno want you to attend the event? If you can create another situation in the game that also satisfies this 'why' the same way events do than I can see it being alright.

For instance, I had always thought of an event that was modeled around Indiana Jones where you undergo a quest-line that enables you to find rare manuscripts and blueprints from the past. That event would actually be justifiably luck-based, but the idea of it would be a chance (not a guarantee) to level older event buildings.

I can also see it as a prize for completing rare achievements. It can also be a gift- as in you get one for playing FoE for a certain amount of time. (just one)

** Edit: I don't really believe it's necessary, however, since Inno is always putting out events where new, potentially more powerful buildings are being offered. Rather than trying to complete a past building, it would probably be better to look forward to future opportunities.

Graviton

I don't really see the problem with this. People seem to think that if these were added to the game, they'd be raining from the sky... I've got up to 16 Ships in inventory ...

Apparently Level 1 Ships have already rained from your skies. Thank you for your post, you've now convinced me to oppose this vehemently. If you want 16 upgraded Ships you can bloody well spend diamonds for the upgrades too.

RazorbackPirate

If the idea is that Inno wants you to attend the event, than why does Inno want you to attend the event?
Inno has events so people BUY diamonds. How does any form of this proposal fill that need? It doesn't. It's actually saying, "Hey Inno, as a player who doesn't play long enough or well enough and has never spent diamonds to get the complete event prizes, I want you to now give me all the stuff I missed for free."

How many diamonds would I have purchased to ensure a second Ship in both of my cities? None. I would have completed the Pirate Ship for free, then just waited the 3-6 months (6 weeks, the day after) for the remaining upgrades needed to appear and get them then.

What incentive do the Whales have to spend like there's no tomorrow knowing that in 6 weeks or 6 months any advantage over other players they just purchased will have now been diluted to the point of not really being 'worth it.'

Congratulations, you've just cut Inno's FoE revenue in half. Let's see how you've impacted development costs using the Cherry Set as an example.

Spring Event 2017 - Cherry Set Introduced.
January 2018 - Cherry Set added to DC when DC is introduced. ("Hmmm, what can we reuse to make enough chests?") Cherry, Palace, Fountain, Maypole
Spring Event 2018 - Cherry Set - Level 2 introduced. Inno gets to completely reuse the Cherry Set, simply renaming it 'Level 1' and makes those pieces required to use the new, upgraded Set.
Spring Event 2019 - Inno repackages both sets into a Selection Kit like they did for Carnival and use the 'recycled' content, still in high demand, to add to the Daily Special rotation.

Result? Inno has reused the same content 4 times already. 5 if you count the inevitable addition to DC at some point. This proposal means no reuse of content, since it's all being given away right after. Every year the need to develop something brand new for every event.

Well done, you've not only cut revenue in half, you've tripled event development costs.

Spring Selection Kits pretty much tips the balance about buying a 2nd Pagoda for each city as I did with the Ships. Being ALSO able to get some Spring Selection Kits to FINALLY complete a few more Cherry Sets with the pieces I've accumulated from DC, AND hopefully get some of them to level 2 as well. Where's my card?

The way it would be if this proposal goes through? I'd wait. No money spent.

Net/Net? No matter what the player base 'wants', Inno will NEVER make this proposal happen. The votes could be 10,000 to 1 and it will NEVER, EVER happen.

Net/Net/Net? - Don't start a business.

Last edited:

UBERhelp1

I'm not completely opposed to it.

I don't believe the issue is balance. There are people with 40+ Tholos's in their city. As far as I can see, there is no real limit to how many of each event building Inno will allow you to have save the amount of time available to get it and the resources you are willing to spend.
See, the difference is those people paid for the Tholos'. This idea would let people get those for free.

mamboking053

What incentive do the Whales have to spend like there's no tomorrow knowing that in 6 weeks or 6 months any advantage over other players they just purchased will have now been diluted to the point of not really being 'worth it.'

The way it would be if this proposal goes through? I'd wait. No money spent.

Why do the Whales spend now if they can just wait weeks or months? Because they want it NOW.

More so, they want a lot of it. I'm not endorsing the initial proposal as it was written, but getting the chance for a single upgrade of your choosing (one level, not leveling an event building to max) very rarely hardly removes the incentive to pay. If anything it might increase it. Imagine having a level 6/10 of a building you really want to max, getting a single upgrade, and then having to wait weeks or months for the chance at another upgrade. You, personally, might wait, but I think others would buy it outright.

Also, since better buildings are always introduced, there will always be people seeking the newer advantage. I see the whales in my world buy multiple event buildings for every event. (almost every event...they skipped the Carnival one, apparently, lol) I would disagree with putting upgrade kits up routinely, but a rare chance to get a single upgrade sounds interesting to me. The trouble would be coming up with an interesting, exciting, challenging way to do this that's unique and not simply a string of the same old types of quests.

RazorbackPirate

Why do the Whales spend now if they can just wait weeks or months? Because they want it NOW.

More so, they want a lot of it. I'm not endorsing the initial proposal as it was written, but getting the chance for a single upgrade of your choosing (one level, not leveling an event building to max) very rarely hardly removes the incentive to pay. If anything it might increase it. Imagine having a level 6/10 of a building you really want to max, getting a single upgrade, and then having to wait weeks or months for the chance at another upgrade. You, personally, might wait, but I think others would buy it outright.

Also, since better buildings are always introduced, there will always be people seeking the newer advantage. I see the whales in my world buy multiple event buildings for every event. (almost every event...they skipped the Carnival one, apparently, lol) I would disagree with putting upgrade kits up routinely, but a rare chance to get a single upgrade sounds interesting to me. The trouble would be coming up with an interesting, exciting, challenging way to do this that's unique and not simply a string of the same old types of quests.
Why do you have so many unfinished event building that makes this proposal so 'intersting'? Why didn't you spend the money to complete them at the time knowing there may not be another chance to ever get them, or possibly years before they do become available?

mamboking053

Why do you have so many unfinished event building that makes this proposal so 'intersting'? Why didn't you spend the money to complete them at the time knowing there may not be another chance to ever get them, or possibly years before they do become available?

It’s not me that wants or needs them, I’m just seeing this from the point of other players requesting it.

That is a good question. Not sure. It could be somewhat justifiable reasons. These events go from weeks to a month. Some events you can get excess, but some you need to squeeze every advatnage to ensure you get max. I actually like the latter because it makes events important and I always felt like demanding to get the highest level evrnt building was missing the point- that it’s a bonus item rewarded for extra performance not a required item everyone deserves. But I’m not everyone so if a person is missing an upgrade or two I can concede to the opportunity to get it back- just not an easy opportunity.

They might even make an obscenely hard GE5 for it... One not based on simply winning battles or having enough goods, but needing both of these and maybe something extra...

DeletedUser31420

Not sure it has been proposed - too many people have half finished Special events buildings - and a lot of the time upgrades aren't available the following year - why not have an upgrade that will work on any Special events building available during the special and timeline events

I would personally like the opportunity to upgrade my event buildings that aren't already maxed. I do think if something like this were made available, that it should be a single-level, single-use upgrade (like one-up boosts). I would also be interested in seeing how such a thing could be earned, because it shouldn't be easy.

RazorbackPirate

I would personally like the opportunity to upgrade my event buildings that aren't already maxed.
I would too. I've got a few along with a few level 1's and spare upgrades stashed away in inventory.

I also think implementing this proposal would be a bonehead decision for Inno to make. I'm also fully aware that Inno knows we want them to make them available at some point. I also know they will make them available to us, or not, based on their own schedule, for their own purposes.

Case in point, Spring Selection Kits in the Spring Event. Knowing we want them, they made them available on their schedule for their reasons. After the event, they'll do the same thing. Hang onto them until next year, add them to new or reshuffled Cherry Garden Chest in DC, who knows? They do. That's the point.

Proposal - Hey Inno, I want free stuff to finish the free stuff I wasn't able to finish for free cause you had to pay if you wanted to finish it. So now that I can't even pay to finish it anymore,;) can you make a way to get it for free now? I know I could have paid to get them in the event last week, but that was last week when it wasn't free and I didn't want to pay, so now that the event is over and I can't even buy it anymore,;) can you please give it to me for free? Now?

DeletedUser36572

As far as the idea there should be an Universal Upgrade free of charge ...

-1 Nope

The Events are Events ... You earn rewards competing in the Event and completing the challenges. To add advantages not associated with financial support that provides for the game we all enjoy ... Would just turn Events into Giveaways.