• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] V.1.6. Updated Guide to Game Abbreviations and Commonly Used Phrases

DreadfulCadillac

This is intended to be your all-encompassing one stop shop for commonly used Game Abbreviations and Phrases in this game. I figured this was necessary, since all current guides are very outdated. This is broken down by type. If there is an abbreviation/phrase you don't see on this list that you would like added, reply below with the abbreviation/phrase and I will probably add it.

In variations where you see [Acronym 1/Acronym 2], the acronym used more commonly among the playerbase of Forge of Empires is listed first.

ERAS:
SA - used to refer to the Stone Age.
BA - used to refer to the Bronze Age.
IA - used to refer to the Iron Age.
EMA - used to refer to the Early Middle Ages.
HMA - used to refer to the High Middle Ages.
LMA - used to refer to the Late Middle Ages.
CA - used to refer to the Colonial Age.
INDY/INA/IndA - used to refer to the Industrial Age.
PE - used to refer to the Progressive Era.
ME -used to refer to the Modern Era.
PME - used to refer to the Postmodern Era.
CE - used to refer to the Contemporary Era.
TE - used to refer to the Tomorrow Era.
FE - used to refer to the Future Era.
AF - used to refer to the Arctic Future.
OF - used to refer to the Oceanic Future.
VF - used to refer to the Virtual Future.
SAM - used to refer to Space Age Mars.
SAAB - used to refer to Space Age Asteroid Belt.
SAV - used to refer to Space Age Venus.
SAJM - used to refer to Space Age Jupiter Moon.
SAT - used to refer to Space Age Titan.

Game Modes/Features:
GvG - used to refer to Guild vs Guild, a separate map where guilds fight each other for territory control. This mode is only available on PC.
GE - used to refer to the Guild Expedition, a weekly player vs computer game within the game.
Tech - used to refer to Research, where you can research new technologies to level up your city's era.
Settlement - used to refer to Cultural Settlements, a gamemode within the game where you can create a separate city for a Historical Culture and get in-game rewards.
AD - used to refer to the Antiques Dealer, a building on the outskirts of your city where you can buy antiquities and trade in things that are in your inventory
DC - used to refer to the Daily Challenge
cMap - used to refer to the Continent Map, where you as a player can conquer provinces from NPCs
RQ - used to refer to Recurring Quests.
Tower - used to refer to each era's fighting Tower. This tower is shared by all members of your neighborhood, and whoever gets the most fighting points wins. The top 10 places on the tower get a medal reward, with the reward being greater the higher up on the tower you are.
DS - used to refer to Daily Special(s) in an event.
GbG - used to refer to Guild Battlegrounds, a separate map where guilds fight each other for territory.
CP - used so as to refer to Castle Points, the level of leveling up within the Castle System.
Abbreviations used in GvG:
DA - used to refer to a GvG sector’s Defensive Army.
AA - used to refer to the All Ages map in GvG.
Call/Siege Up - used to refer to a player noting that the guild is getting attacked in a GvG map in the Guild Chat. So for example, if I see that my guild is getting attacked in the Modern Era, I would call (aka type) “ME” into the guild chat so that everyone else who is on playing GvG with me can see it.
Calc - used to refer to the daily re-calculation of guild power that occurs every evening at 8:00 PM EST.
Break - used to refer to the act of Breaking an enemy guild's siege on one of your guild's sectors.
Release - used to refer to the act of Releasing a sector of your guild's on a GvG map, turning it into an NPC Sector
Sieging - used to refer to the act of placing a siege on a sector in GvG.
HQ - used to refer to your Guild's Headquarters on a GvG Map.
ReBubble/DropCap - used to refer to the act of releasing a sector (typically in an Landing Zone or adjacent to an enemy guild) right before the daily re-calculation and then immediately re-taking it afterwards, so as to make the sector immune to attacks by potential adversaries until the next re-calculation, where you may ReBubble it again.
Bubble - used to refer to when a sector has a green shield on it's top, and is therefore immune from attacks until the next recalculation.
LZ - used to refer to Landing Zones.

Abbreviations used in GbG:
SC - used to refer to Siege Camp(s)
Walk/W/Crawl/Nudge - used to refer to the act of one person (usually a GbG Leader in your guild) bringing a GbG province from around 150 to 158/159. The province will sit at 159 until it is flipped by the other guild participating in the farming of that province.
Prep/Bump - used by some guilds to refer to bringing a sector from 157/160 to 159/160, after they had walked it from 150/160 to 157/160.
FFA - used to refer to a map that is free for all, where no farming operations are taking place.
Farming - used to refer to an agreement between two guilds to transfer provinces in a portion of the GbG map back and forth between both guilds for the mutual benefit of both guilds.
Hold - used to refer to an artificial limit on the # a hits that a province can be hit, typically set by a guild’s GbG leaders. The hold is usually 10 hits before the province would be captured, so in Diamond League, that’s 150/160. (e.g. “Hold @150”). Also used as a synonym of Flip.
Long Hold - Similar to the term Hold, this refers to Holding a sector for an extended period of time until a GbG leader indicates a Cap/Flip.
Cap/Kill/STC(Straight to Close) - used to refer to the act of Capturing a province.
Flip - used to refer to the process of transferring control of a province from one guild to another.
Soft Lock/SL - used to refer to a province being at 150/160. Similar to the term Hold.
Loading/Priming - used to refer to the process of taking a province from 0 to 150.
Rush/dime/flash - used to refer to the act of using diamonds to build a Siege Camp, Fort, or other building instantly.
Att - used to refer to Attrition.
Race - used to refer to two guilds racing each other to capture a province.
FTT/Force Capture - used to refer to Force to Take: Forcing a guild that has a province they are attacking at 150+/160 to take the province they are attacking by having your guild attack that province.
Burn(ing) - used to refer to the act of using up any extra attrition that you haven't "spent" yet, typically towards the end of a day of GBG, close to when the attrition counter resets. Typically, sectors on which burning may occur will be marked by a Guild Leader, and will be sectors with a minimal quantity of adjacent Siege Camp(s).
Crosshit - used to refer to the act of loading a sector that's part of a Farming Operation your guild is not part of, generally for the purpose of gaining more fights in a manner not destructive to farming operations. Oftentimes used in scenarios where there are several farming operations between different guilds on the same GbG map.
Perm - aka "Permanent Sector", used to mean a sector within a farming operation that isn't being farmed and is instead being held by your guild for the duration of the GbG season.
Core - used to refer to the middle sectors on a GbG Map (Four on the Volcanic Map, and One on the Island Waterfall Map).

Abbreviations used in GE:
Lvl - used to refer to the Level of Guild Expedition you are playing.
GE _ - this means "Guild Expedition Level _". Insert the Number 1, 2, 3, 4, or now 5 in the _ to specify which level of the Guild Expedition you're talking about.
Fort - used to refer to Fortification(s) built in Level V of the Guild Expedition.

Military:
A/D - used to refer to your cities Attack and Defense Boost (not to be confused with attacking or defending in another portion of the game).
Spears - used to refer to Spearfighters, a bronze era unit that is the first unit received in the Game.
NAP - used to refer to a Non-Aggression Pact between two or more guilds.
PvP - used to refer to Player vs. Player combat; can refer to PvP tournaments in your neighborhood or the PvP Arena.

Event/Special Buildings:
FoY - used to refer to the Fountain of Youth.
HoF - used to refer to the Hall of Fame.
RtV - used to refer to the Road to Victory.
SoA - used to refer to the Stage of Ages, or less commonly, the Shrine of Awe.
SoH - used to refer to the Statue of Honor.
SoI - used to refer to the Shrine of Inspiration.
SoK - used to refer to the Shrine of Knowledge.
SSW - used to refer to the Sacred Sky Watch.
TF - used to refer to the Terrace Farm.
TH - used to refer to the Town Hall.
TS - used to refer to the Tribal Square.
WP - used to refer to the Winner’s Plaza.
CS - used to refer to the Checkmate Square.
WW - used to refer to the Wishing Well.
RMG - used to refer to the Royal Marble Gateway.
SO - used to refer to the Sentinel Outpost.

Great Buildings:

Abbreviations about Great Buildings:

GB - used to refer to Great Buildings
Lock - used to refer to the act of securing a slot on a Great Building.
Snipe - used to refer to the act of locking a Great Building’s donation slot for profit.
Power-Leveling - used to refer to the act of getting a group together, and then leveling up your Great Building by a lot (usually 10+) of levels all at once with that group.
Self-Leveler - used to refer to a person who levels their Great Buildings by just adding forge points to them, and disregards Swap Threads/1.9 threads while leveling their Great Building. Snipers often target Self-Levelers. Self Leveling is generally regarded as a very inefficient and non-advised method of leveling your Great Building, because you are not taking advantage of the reward spots for donations on your great building while Self-Leveling.
DD - used to refer to Double dipping, the act of collecting, leveling your Great Building, then collecting again.
BP - used to refer to Blueprints, which are used to build a Great Building, and are then used to unlock new levels for the aforementioned Great Building.
Sticks/Mud (Also known as “in the sticks” or “in the mud”) - used to refer to a great building that hasn’t reached lvl 1. yet, and isn’t fully constructed.
Bricks (Also known as “In the Bricks”) - used to refer to a great building which has completed construction.
Clear - used on 1.9x threads to refer to there being no more Great Buildings that need spots taken by players at that time.
Prime/Primed/Priming - Different grammatical forms of the term "Prime", or the act of an owner of a great building making spots on that great building safe at 1.9x by putting the necessary prerequisite forge points down on the great building.
Flip - used to refer to the act of leveling a Great Building.
OTL - used as an acronym for "Ok to Level"'; meaning the owner has authorized you as a contributor to level their great building.
Post - used to mean either the act of posting a GB to a leveling thread, or used to mean the act of posting (aka contributing) Forge Points to a Great Building.

Abbreviations for the names of Great Buildings:

OBS - used to refer to the Observatory.
Oracle/OoD - used to refer to the Oracle of Delphi.
ToR - used to refer to the Temple of Relics.
Babel/ToB - used to refer to the Tower of Babel.
Zeus/SoZ - used to refer to the Statue of Zeus.
Colo - used to refer to the Colosseum.
LoA - used to refer to the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
CoA - used to refer to the Cathedral of Aachen.
HS/Hagia - used to refer to the Hagia Sophia.
GT - used to refer to the Galata Tower.
St.Marks/SMB - used to refer to the St. Mark’s Basilica.
ND - used to refer to the Notre Dame.
Basil/SBC - used to refer to the Saint Basil’s Cathedral.
CDM - used to refer to the Castel del Monte.
Deal/DC - used to refer to the Deal Castle.
FoD - used to refer to the Frauenkirche of Dresden.
Cap - used to refer to the Capitol.
RAH - used to refer to the Royal Albert Hall.
CF/Chat - used to refer to the Château Frontenac.
Traz - used to refer to the Alcatraz.
SN - used to refer to the Space Needle.
Atom - used to refer to the Atomium.
Cape/CC/Cac - used to refer to the Cape Canaveral.
Hab - used to refer to The Habitat.
Inno/IT - used to refer to the Innovation Tower.
Lotus/LT - used to refer to the Lotus Temple.
Voyager/V1 - used to refer to the Voyager V1.
TT/DT - used to refer to the Truce Tower. DT is used to refer to the Truce Tower’s previous name, Dynamic Tower.
RFP - used to refer to the Rain Forest Project.
Arc - used to refer to The Arc.
Gaea/GS - used to refer to the Gaea Statue.
AO - used to refer to the Arctic Orangery.
SV - used to refer to the Seed Vault.
Atlantis/AM - used to refer to the Atlantis Museum.
Kraken/Krak - used to refer to The Kraken.
BG - used to refer to The Blue Galaxy.
TA - used to refer to the Terracotta Army.
HC - used to refer to the Himeji Castle.
VP/Virgo/TVP - used to refer to The Virgo Project.
SG - used to refer to the Star Gazer.
SC - used to refer to the Space Carrier.
FI - used to refer to the Flying Island.
AI/AIC - used to refer to the A.I. Core.

Interaction with other Players

Aid/MP/MoPo/Mo/Po/Polivate - used to refer to Motivating or Polishing a building in another player’s city.
FL - used to refer to a player’s Friend List.
FR - used to refer to the act of sending a player a Friend Request.
Hood - used to refer to a player’s Neighborhood.

Meta:

FoE - used to refer to the game this guide is about, Forge of Empires
Inno - used to refer to Innogames, the developer of Forge of Empires.
Beta - used to refer to the Beta Test Server where Innogames tests new features for Forge of Empires.
P2W - used to refer to the idea of a game being "Pay to Win".
F2P - used to refer to the idea of a game being "Free to Play".

Misc

Reno - used to refer to a Renovation Kit.
Age up - used to refer to Advancing to the next era.
RR - used to refer to random rewards.
Crowns - used to refer to Guild Power.
World _ - insert a letter in the blank (_) or a short version of each of the worlds (who can really remember Langendorn anyway? Wolferandenstine?).
Server - used to refer to Innogame's server for your country, where all worlds that people play on in your country are located.
FP- used to refer to Forge Point(s), which are arguably the most important resource in the game, after expansions.
Dias - used to refer to Diamonds.
Frag - used to refer to Fragments.
Nego - used to refer to Negotiation(s).
Prom - used to refer to Promethium, a special good unlocked in the Arctic Future.
Ori - used to refer to Orichalcum, a special good unlocked in the Oceanic Future.
NPC - used to refer to Non-Playable Characters, used to refer to things not controlled by any player, such as an NPC sector in GvG, or the NPCs in the Continent Map.

Credits:

The FOE Fandom Wiki's Acronyms Guide (Can't link here, but google it and I'm sure you can find it)
The Common Game Abbreviations and Phrases Guide by @Lucifer1904 (2017)
Game Abbreviations Guide (2018)
@UBERhelp1 for various tips on how to make a guide

Last edited:

DreadfulCadillac

Update v. 01: Added the following terms under the "Abbreviations about Great Buildings" category :
-Power-Leveling
-Self-Leveling/Self Leveler

Mor-Rioghain

Excellent resource! Seems very comprehensive but I thought of a few things that are just alternates (variations but still relatively common):
GvG
(Variant) Call: "Siege Up" is used more commonly than "Call" in my experience, so, just an alternate to 'call.'. Also, Red as in ME Red, indicating the color of the sieging armies swords.
In reference to DA's, I've encountered lots of terminology but "Hard" and "Easy" might add to rather than detract from your guide. "Hard" being heavy units and "Easy"referring to whatever combo of non-heavy units each guild prefers p/era. Also, as in Max Hard (8 heavy, no rogues), and so on. Might be useful for those still learning GvG.

(New) Release/Early Release: Might be a nice addition to make mention of what/how it's done per recalc.
(New) Break or BK: As in "break siege."

GBG
Only a slight suggestion on an addition to hold section: "Long Hold" is becoming more and more popular to describe a sector taken to 150/160 indicating the wait period between either A) a BG leader indicates a Cap/Flip or B) taking a measure of a dicey Exchange between friendly guilds and flipping to break the swap.

Otherwise, kudos! Nice work-up and wish I'd seen a guide like this out there when I was a new player. :)

Mor-Rioghain

I'm running into a term that I'd not heard before and have finally had a bit of an "Ah, ha!" moment:

GvG: Drop-cap, aka, DC. The act of sieging an adjacent enemy sector or NPC to "wear it down" to about 1 or 2 chits to save on sieging during recalc/reshielding. It seems to be interchangeable with (at times and by some players) with the older, more commonly used term 'reshield' or 'rebubble.' (And we all know it's not a new act/performance, just hadn't ever heard it called that....)

Has anyone else heard this? Completely threw me off when I joined a new guild (with more than a few experienced GvG-ers) but the "ah, ha!" moment happened when I realized that virtually all of them were high-level GvG-ers only after Battlegrounds was introduced! Made me wonder if it was a weird amalgamation of "Cap" a province with "Take a sector".....Any thoughts? I'd like to see your amazing guide brought up to date - but this one had me flummoxed for a bit! lol

Update: 04-22-23 re: Drop Cap/Sieging
~It seems that in my guild and the few that we work with regularly that Drop Cap has simply replaced Reshield/Re-bubble.
~Backsiege = wearing the sector down prior to recalc to make it easier to take quickly after recalc is over. This is generally done on NPC's but evidently it's rather common practice to try and do it to an enemy sector (if you can get away with it). Again, to me, confusing because the trend seems to be to use one word to mean multiple things - replacing older terminology that was more definitive, imho.

I'm not sure how 'universal' these terms are (and others I suggested earlier) are since I only play GvG on one world and only in 2 guilds in the last 7 months (didn't play for about a year before that), so I feel like it might be a pecularity of this particular group of players who are all friends.

Also - Another term came up - and I don't remember if it's in your guide, DC. This was used in Guild #1 after I again started playing GvG (not my current guild): Full-boot. I'm mystified as to what that means except that based on the circumstances at the time, I think the player who was asking the General "Do you want a full boot?" might have referring to what I've known as either a full hex or a flower. Has anyone else ever heard of the term "boot" in that context? Thanks!

Last edited:

DreadfulCadillac

I'm running into a term that I'd not heard before and have finally had a bit of an "Ah, ha!" moment:

GvG: Drop-cap, aka, DC. The act of sieging an adjacent enemy sector or NPC to "wear it down" to about 1 or 2 chits to save on sieging during recalc/reshielding. It seems to be interchangeable with (at times and by some players) with the older, more commonly used term 'reshield' or 'rebubble.' (And we all know it's not a new act/performance, just hadn't ever heard it called that....)

Has anyone else heard this? Completely threw me off when I joined a new guild (with more than a few experienced GvG-ers) but the "ah, ha!" moment happened when I realized that virtually all of them were high-level GvG-ers only after Battlegrounds was introduced! Made me wonder if it was a weird amalgamation of "Cap" a province with "Take a sector".....Any thoughts? I'd like to see your amazing guide brought up to date - but this one had me flummoxed for a bit! lol
They named a term after me!? I'm honored! /s

In all seriousness, I haven't heard of that term before. Interesting indeed! I'll try and find out more about it, and once I do, I'll add it. Any other terms im missing? Feel free to shoot me a message with anything else

DreadfulCadillac

Update v.1.4.: Added the following terms:

Under Guild vs Guild
-Break
-Release
-HQ
-Siege Up (Variant of Call)
-Sieging
-ReBubble/DropCap
-Bubble
-LZ

Under Guild Battlegrounds
-Burn
-Long Hold

Under Guild Expedition (new category)
-Lvl
-GE1, GE2, GE4, GE4, GE5
-Fort

Under Miscellaneous
-Frag
-Nego
-Prom
-Orichalcum
-NPC

Also, A/D in the "Military" category has been clarified pursuant to @KingJMobile 's suggestion.

Thank you to @Mor-Rioghain for suggesting the addition of Break, Release, Siege Up(Variant of Call), DropCap, and Long Hold

DreadfulCadillac

Update v.1.6.: Added the following terms:

Under "Abbreviations used in GbG:"
-Crosshit
-Kill (under Cap)
-Perm

Under "Abbreviations about Great Buildings:"
-Flip

Last edited:

Mor-Rioghain

Holy Crow, I've heard that one before! And you're correct, @DreadfulCadillac , the acronyms or hodpodge marriage of two acronyms from different battle platforms within this game alone has gone under every 5 minutes, I think! LOL (I kept thinking Drop-Cap that I mentioned to you was some weird amalgamation of Drop a sector from GvG (release/grant freedom) and Cap (from GBG, meaning to "capture,") so liguistically-speaking, they're not only coming up with a hybrid term but using 'clipping' + 'truncation,' (I suppose) to create a whole new term. I think I'll refrain from the STC; however, there are way to many acronyms in this game already! ;)

DreadfulCadillac

V.1.6.2.
Great Buildings; Abbreviations About

- Added the word "Post"

Not sure what the community has decided upon Regarding abbreviations for the GBs of this new era yet, so any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

DreadfulCadillac

V.1.6.2.
Great Buildings; Abbreviations About

- Added the word "Post"

Not sure what the community has decided upon Regarding abbreviations for the GBs of this new era yet, so any advice is welcome.
V.1.6.3.
"Game modes/Features"

- Added the Abbreviation C.P., which stands for Castle Points.

DreadfulCadillac

V.1.6.5.
"Abbreviations/Phrases used in GbG"

- Added "Core", a term used to describe the middle four (on the volcanic map) or 1 (on the waterfall map) sector(s).