• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Very Large Army in the Daily Challenge

I’m relatively new to FoE, and I think I’m making decent progress for someone new to this sort of game.

One thing has seemed glaringly counter-intuitive; the very large army. Today the Daily Challenge offered me varying sizes of Attacker Boost after I defeat the very large army, and do two other things. My problem is, that I would need a large attacker boost to conquer a very large army, which would...use it up, trying to get another attacker boost. It would be helpful for the next time I’m asked to fight one—since I can’t win against even a regular large army. Despite lots of helpful buildings with little crossed swords and percent signs on them. I make medium armies shudder with fear, (okay, look a bit nervous), but nothing larger.

How do my boosts trigger the opponent boosts to increase? I’ve noticed big differences in Continent map conflicts, etc. (I have tried searching for answers, but found nothing.)

As things stand, after roughly 7 months of play, when the Daily Challenge says “large army” or “very large army,” I’m out of luck. That day’s challenge is forfeit. Now, I’m not one to cry in my soup; I move on with my day (or night), but I wonder whether “the powers that be” have considered how silly it is to put a large army in front of a kingdom with very few resources, and two very large candy stores. GB’s? I’ve got ‘em. Sentries that don’t drink? I’ve got those too. I don’t expect to win all the time, but ”ever” would be good!

If someone has reasonable suggestions (no black magic or diamonds), I am open to untried strategies. If Inno is reading this, “The forum and wiki searches don’t offer any help on this subject, and the last friend I asked, un-friended me and pillaged my kingdom...twice.” *[Yes, pillaging is part of the game. What he got covered his losses, but not much more.]

Attachments

• C27B0E5E-2B2B-4514-B1F1-4794DDD2C619.jpeg
    C27B0E5E-2B2B-4514-B1F1-4794DDD2C619.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 20
Slow down your game and level your attack GB to level 10. That will give you a solid 90/90 boost that should help. Manually fighting will increase your odds of a win, as the AI can be dumb at times.

Thanks, I’ll do it. I have been camping in one era for various reasons, but I hadn’t heard the other advice before, so I’m excited to try those things!

It is a challenge, not a give away. Skip it and wait for the next one.

Thanks! Haha! “But I wanted a giveaway!” she pretend-whined.
I got frustrated trying to solve the problem, wondering if I missed something. (Researcher/Innovator personality; uncomfortable with feeling helpless. ) However, since I began, they started using the “OR” feature sometimes, which I appreciate.

Uber speaks sooth. Heed their wise words.

Unsolicited advice: DCs are a wonderful measure of your ability to complete Events. As a general rule of thumb, if you can't complete all DCs and 64 in GE you probably are not ready to move up in Era since DCs and GE get tougher as you increase in Era.

Algona,

Thank you for the tips about strength tests before moving on! I believed that completing all of the DC’s was necessary (hence my continuing frustration about GB and other boosts vs opponent inflation), but I could not have guessed an appropriate GE level. (64? Surely this is a typo?!)

Again, reasonable advice is always welcome! Many thanks!

DeletedUser36572

but I could not have guessed an appropriate GE level. (64? Surely this is a typo?!)

That’s not a typo, and for the most part solid information and a suitable target.

Completing 64 encounters of Guild Expeditions weekly, is a good way to test both your fighting skills/requirements/capabilities and resource allocation.

Level 4 of Guild Expeditions could also be considered the “payoff” for completing the other 3 levels. It often rewards a fair amount of Forge Points and Diamonds that will go towards supporting your city, even without a Temple of Relics (the ToR is recommended if you are going to regularly participate in GE).

Foundation First

Kranyar the Mysterious

I could not have guessed an appropriate GE level. (64? Surely this is a typo?!)
There is nothing magical or mystical about completing all of GE every week. I have done it (or been able to do it) every week in all of my cities since I first unlocked the GE at the beginning of Iron Age.

You either fight, or you negotiate.

If you want to fight, build and level all 3 core combat great buiildings to level 10 asap. I always did it Statue of Zeus > Castel del Monte > Cathedral of Aachen.

Until you get those up and leveled, get yourself enough goods to negotiate. Doing recurring quests as much as possible is the best way in the game to get goods, and having a mid to high level Chateau Frontenac makes recurring quests much, much easier (and gives more goods, etc). If you do recurring quests, I recommend you have your Chateau (provides coins for the Unbirthday Quest) and the Himeji Castle (gives supplies for the Unbirthday Quest) to make doing the UBQ much easier. Most special event buildings, wishing wells, and goods production buildings are all sources for goods.

That’s not a typo, and for the most part solid information and a suitable target.

Completing 64 encounters of Guild Expeditions weekly, is a good way to test both your fighting skills/requirements/capabilities and resource allocation.

Level 4 of Guild Expeditions could also be considered the “payoff” for completing the other 3 levels. It often rewards a fair amount of Forge Points and Diamonds that will go towards supporting your city, even without a Temple of Relics (the ToR is recommended if you are going to regularly participate in GE).

Foundation First

Oh, 64 Encounters! I was confused by the abbreviation. I appreciate the clarification; it makes so much sense now! I like the complexity of this game.

There is nothing magical or mystical about completing all of GE every week. I have done it (or been able to do it) every week in all of my cities since I first unlocked the GE at the beginning of Iron Age.

You either fight, or you negotiate.

If you want to fight, build and level all 3 core combat great buiildings to level 10 asap. I always did it Statue of Zeus > Castel del Monte > Cathedral of Aachen.

Until you get those up and leveled, get yourself enough goods to negotiate. Doing recurring quests as much as possible is the best way in the game to get goods, and having a mid to high level Chateau Frontenac makes recurring quests much, much easier (and gives more goods, etc). If you do recurring quests, I recommend you have your Chateau (provides coins for the Unbirthday Quest) and the Himeji Castle (gives supplies for the Unbirthday Quest) to make doing the UBQ much easier. Most special event buildings, wishing wells, and goods production buildings are all sources for goods.

Kranyar,

Thanks for the specific advice! I read player recommendations about the Great Buildings, but this information is even more helpful.

I appreciate everyone’s help so much! Yay!

Jern2017

The Alcatraz, a Progressive Era GB that produces units and provides happiness.

There was some very good advice in the previous posts, I'd just like to add that you don't neccessarily need to build up your city for fighting if you don't feel like it. You'd miss out on a Daily Challenge every now and then, but I know advanced players that don't fight at all and focus their city on goods production rather than on attack boost.

Do what you enjoy.

RazorbackPirate

What age are you currently in? What fight GBs, Zeus, Cathedral of Aachen, and Castle del Monte, have you built and what level are they currently?

AAA12AAA

You can choose to skip the DC :)

Yes you need to increase your attack/defense, probably need rouges and traz to make more unattached units/rouges.

Got a somewhat related question.
Do Timeless Dojo lvl 5 and one of the Emissaries (+1 random unit) function similarly to Alcatraz - producing units from the pool of barracks in your city or produce any random units of the current Age even if you don't have those barracks on site? As I got all the barracks of the Age its hard to tell.
Judging by description it seems it would be latter, want to be sure before starting playing tetris again)

Thanks

BruteForceAttack

Got a somewhat related question.
Do Timeless Dojo lvl 5 and one of the Emissaries (+1 random unit) function similarly to Alcatraz - producing units from the pool of barracks in your city or produce any random units of the current Age even if you don't have those barracks on site? As I got all the barracks of the Age its hard to tell.
Judging by description it seems it would be latter, want to be sure before starting playing tetris again)

Thanks
Random units of the current Age

WiseOdin

The "Very Large Army" daily task is really just a way for Inno to tell you they can bend you over at any time they wish. It can be beat, but only if you've spent a stupid amount of time on Zeus, CDM, etc. It isn't meant to be a challenge, it's meant to give long term players a perk without allowing newer players the same.

Agent327

The "Very Large Army" daily task is really just a way for Inno to tell you they can bend you over at any time they wish. It can be beat, but only if you've spent a stupid amount of time on Zeus, CDM, etc. It isn't meant to be a challenge, it's meant to give long term players a perk without allowing newer players the same.

I can do them in a new city without a problem. Could it be that you are just very bad at fighting?