• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Forwarded View-by Feature in Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatrikon

Proposal
It would be very useful to be able to view our Inventories by smaller categories. Similar to the views available in Army Management.

Current System
In the Inventory window, we have five viewing options: All items, Buildings, Consumable items, Goods, Great Buildings. There is no way to view smaller categories than that. Those of us who have been playing for a long time have accumulated lots of items in our inventories, and it becomes difficult to sort through them all, looking for the ones we want. I keep all the items I get, because they might be useful eventually, even if they're not useful right now, or they may be useful right now, but I don't have the space in my city to put them yet. Then I get a quest to build a building of a particular type from my age. I may already have one in my inventory, but I have to search through all of them to find it.

In the Army Management window, we can view our units in many categories:
* Attached / Unattached
* By unit type: Light, Heavy, Ranged, Fast, Artillery
* By Age
And I almost never need to use these categories. Since all the units are sorted by Age and then by Type, it's very easy to just scroll to the ones you want.

The Inventory window doesn't have as many convenient categories, and the items don't appear in any useful order.

Details
Particularly for the Buildings, it would be nice to be able to view the buildings you have by type: Residential, Production, Cultural, Good, Military, Decoration, Special.
And it would also be useful to view them by Age, either "All Ages" or a particular age.
This could be done with two pull-down menus, similar to the ones in the Army Management window.

For Consumable Items, the categories aren't quite as obvious (and Age doesn't apply), so a single pull-down menu would suffice. You would know the categories better than I would, and only a few would be needed:
* Forge Point Packages
* Boost bottles and Boost Crates
* "Hourglasses" Finish / Rush items
* Upgrades, including Renovation Kits, One-Up Kits, and event building upgrades.
* Self-Aid Kits and Mass Self-Aid Kits
* "Other", including Store Buildings, Selection Kits, and anything else I've left out.

If that's too many categories, then some of the above could be combined together. Any breakdown, even if there were only three categories, would be useful.

The Goods tab probably does not need any modification. Everything is in order and easy to see and access.

The Great Building tab is OK, but it might be nice to be able to view it sorted by Age, or by whether you've built it or not.

Abuse Prevention
This is just a way to present information so it's more convenient. There is no potential for abuse.

Visual Aids
My Photoshop skills (and time) are lacking, but you know what the windows look like already, and you know what pull-down menus look like.

Conclusion
For people with lots of stuff in their inventory, this would make finding and using the items they want much easier.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
Those of us who have been playing for a long time have accumulated lots of items in our inventories, and it becomes difficult to sort through them all, looking for the ones we want.
Did you notice the inventory has a search function? It is rather easy to find the one you want.

Graviton

Maybe you should read the proposal again. It's not about finding one building.

"Particularly for the Buildings, it would be nice to be able to view the buildings you have by type: Residential, Production, Cultural, Good, Military, Decoration, Special.
"And it would also be useful to view them by Age, either "All Ages" or a particular age."

I'd also like to be able to search on set names.

Zatrikon

All I did was point out to Zatrikon, that the way that he portraits "Current system" is not correct. Nothing more.
Nothing I said about the current state was incorrect. I didn't mention the search bar because it wasn't relevant to my proposal. And your comment was also not relevant to my proposal. If you want to discuss my proposal, you may do so here. If you want to discuss something unrelated to my proposal, like the search bar, do that elsewhere.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
Nothing I said about the current state was incorrect. I didn't mention the search bar because it wasn't relevant to my proposal. And your comment was also not relevant to my proposal. If you want to discuss my proposal, you may do so here. If you want to discuss something unrelated to my proposal, like the search bar, do that elsewhere.
Nothing??????

and it becomes difficult to sort through them all, looking for the ones we want.
Not with the search bar.

DeletedUser26532

There are only 3, so how hard can it be?.
No, there are three specific to the industrial age and a dozen or more from the events.

So, with the current system:

Look up with three there are from the industrial era. Type in each one. The start entering Bazaar, Luau, Rosarium...um...what's the one from the carnival event? spend time looking that up.....

vs.

click drop down menu, select industrial age. Click drop down menu 2, select production building.

The current system is indeed more difficult if you are looking for anything other than specific building X. You can be difficult all you want, but it doesn't change that fact.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
No, there are three specific to the industrial age and a dozen or more from the events.
Actually there are 4.

When building a building for a quest, you do so to delete it, so you use common buildings. Besides that, I only mentioned there was an easier way to search for it than he suggersted, but feel free to continue the argument.

Zatrikon

Actually there are 4.
Whish pretty much proves my point. You have to remember how many there are from each age, or look them up. And if you remember three of them, and forget that there was a fourth one, you won't find them all.

When building a building for a quest, you do so to delete it, so you use common buildings.
You *might* use a common building and delete it, or you might not. You might use a special/event building. You might not delete it. There are many options depending on a particular player's situation.

Besides that, I only mentioned there was an easier way to search for it than he suggersted, but feel free to continue the argument.
Yes, you did mention that, but you were wrong, and you will continue to be wrong every time you mention it. But feel free to continue to be wrong.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
Whish pretty much proves my point. You have to remember how many there are from each age, or look them up. And if you remember three of them, and forget that there was a fourth one, you won't find them all.
The fourth is a diamond building. Would be strange if you didn't remember.

You *might* use a common building and delete it, or you might not. You might use a special/event building. You might not delete it. There are many options depending on a particular player's situation.
Yes and your inventory is sorted.

Yes, you did mention that, but you were wrong, and you will continue to be wrong every time you mention it. But feel free to continue to be wrong.
Nothing wrong there. Using the search is easier.

DeletedUser31882

I voted Yes.

I enjoyed the army management comparison. I can imagine myself using the 'filter by age' building option for quests during events.

Sure, the search bar has been a big help in the inventory management game, but I'm all for more QoL updates, even if we consider it 'minor' in the grand scale of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.