• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Viking Marketplaces

DeletedUser25171

So, I notice that the Marketplaces in the Viking settlements are distinguished by a prominent water well in the center. Yet the entire community is nestled in the cleft between two icefalls. I'm not an expert on frontier survival, so please educate me. Would there be a reason to spend the effort of digging a well when you live right next to an icefall?

Super Catanian

I’m no expert either, but perhaps so the people don’t have to travel back and forth to the ice falls (judging by their size, would probably take several minutes) when they can travel by road to a nearby well.

What you should really be asking is how one of the Vikings in the Beast Hunter always seems to miss his target with a bow and arrow. I wonder how they’re able to hunt beasts like that.

UBERhelp1

So, I notice that the Marketplaces in the Viking settlements are distinguished by a prominent water well in the center. Yet the entire community is nestled in the cleft between two icefalls. I'm not an expert on frontier survival, so please educate me. Would there be a reason to spend the effort of digging a well when you live right next to an icefall?
It is extremely dangerous to mine solid ice from a waterfall that could break at any time. What people in northern villages in those times would do is have a well, and usually some sort of paddle system. When you want water, you have to break the ice that formed on top of the water with the paddles. Or the paddles are used the entire time to keep the water from freezing.

DeletedUser25171

It is extremely dangerous to mine solid ice from a waterfall that could break at any time. What people in northern villages in those times would do is have a well, and usually some sort of paddle system. When you want water, you have to break the ice that formed on top of the water with the paddles. Or the paddles are used the entire time to keep the water from freezing.
But you wouldn't HAVE to mine it from the fall itself. You can dig a surface canal. Breaking ice ends up on the bottom of the fall. it melts into the canal, which runs through the settlement. If it's too cold to melt, the ice can be shaped into a track, and breaking pieces slide down it like a luge, straight into town. THAT is if the icefall breaks onto land. If it breaks into a waterway, even easier. You just have a crew that fishes chunks of ice off the floes downstream from the fall. Still no need to dig.

DeletedUser25171

I’m no expert either, but perhaps so the people don’t have to travel back and forth to the ice falls (judging by their size, would probably take several minutes) when they can travel by road to a nearby well.

What you should really be asking is how one of the Vikings in the Beast Hunter always seems to miss his target with a bow and arrow. I wonder how they’re able to hunt beasts like that.
I have seen that claim repeatedly. What version of the game are you playing? From my point of view on both PC and Android, the bowman is hitting the target. The arrow is right over the middle seam on the skin before it disappears. That's a clear hit!

RazorbackPirate

But you wouldn't HAVE to mine it from the fall itself. You can dig a surface canal. Breaking ice ends up on the bottom of the fall. it melts into the canal, which runs through the settlement. If it's too cold to melt, the ice can be shaped into a track, and breaking pieces slide down it like a luge, straight into town. THAT is if the icefall breaks onto land. If it breaks into a waterway, even easier. You just have a crew that fishes chunks of ice off the floes downstream from the fall. Still no need to dig.
The problem with your idea is it makes getting water a man's job, when historically getting water has always been a woman's job. The men dig a well to make it easy for the women to get the water, then they go off and hunt, fish, build stuff, explore, conquer, etc. etc. etc. Gone for days, often weeks at a time, leaving the women to hold down the fort, raise the children, etc. etc. It's called division of labor.

DeletedUser25171

The problem with your idea is it makes getting water a man's job, when historically getting water has always been a woman's job. The men dig a well to make it easy for the women to get the water, then they go off and hunt, fish, build stuff, explore, conquer, etc. etc. etc. Gone for days, often weeks at a time, leaving the women to hold down the fort, raise the children, etc. etc. It's called division of labor.
Oh, FFS, enough of the virtue signalling. I didn't mention gender at all, and if digging IS "men's work," then surely the digging connected with constructing the canal or chute belongs to them. The point is, there is an abundant source of above-ground fresh water RIGHT THERE next to the settlement, and redirecting it would take less work than sounding and digging wells.

RazorbackPirate

Oh, FFS, enough of the virtue signalling. I didn't mention gender at all, and if digging IS "men's work," then surely the digging connected with constructing the canal or chute belongs to them. The point is, there is an abundant source of above-ground fresh water RIGHT THERE next to the settlement, and redirecting it would take less work than sounding and digging wells.
It may be fresh water, but it's not nearly the same as drinkable ground water. Where you getting the water filtration? Hey yeah, let's build it ourselves, not like nature already did it for us.

Since when is dealing with the reality of history and the world, virtue signaling? Wouldn't virtue signaling be pretending the women were out with the men hunting, fishing, being gone for weeks exploring new territories and fighting new enemies?

In my Settlement your idea would be promptly met with, "Cool idea, but completely unworkable. See that pile of logs over in the back corner they're using to build those Huts? Move them all over to that other corner over there behind the shacks. Then as they need the wood, carry them back over. We'll let you know if we need any help digging the well."

Victoria and Albert

I would suggest that FOE simply adapted the Marketplace that appears as a cultural building in the Early Middle Ages to be a Viking marketplace. They look the same, except with snow in the viking settlement

DeletedUser25171

It may be fresh water, but it's not nearly the same as drinkable ground water. Where you getting the water filtration? Hey yeah, let's build it ourselves, not like nature already did it for us.

Since when is dealing with the reality of history and the world, virtue signaling? Wouldn't virtue signaling be pretending the women were out with the men hunting, fishing, being gone for weeks exploring new territories and fighting new enemies?

In my Settlement your idea would be promptly met with, "Cool idea, but completely unworkable. See that pile of logs over in the back corner they're using to build those Huts? Move them all over to that other corner over there behind the shacks. Then as they need the wood, carry them back over. We'll let you know if we need any help digging the well."
Yeah, well in MY settlement, we'd have ample supplies of potable water simply by melting the ice, like the Innuit have done for centuries, and, quite frankly, like the Icelandic people have done for centuries as well. If you really think that it's simpler to dig wells when you have two above ground sources of fresh water, then the people of my settlement are going to plunder the crap out of you and take all of your women--and they will thank us.