• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Viking Settlement Quests Update

Lando6

I just saw the update come over on mobile today for the Cultural Settlement change. I was wondering if anyone knows where a list of the new quest requirements might be located. I'm in the middle of a Viking settlement right now and don't want to be caught off guard when I get to the end.

RazorbackPirate

I just saw the update come over on mobile today for the Cultural Settlement change. I was wondering if anyone knows where a list of the new quest requirements might be located. I'm in the middle of a Viking settlement right now and don't want to be caught off guard when I get to the end.
The only quest that changes is the final quest. The new completion requirement is to 'Gather 10 of each cultural good' AND 'Gather 2,800 copper coins.'

I will be getting there today or tomorrow. Knowing this change was coming, I've done nothing different. Once the Mead Hall is unlocked, the settlement can be completed 4 - 8 hours later. I'm not concerned about running out of time, I've got 2 days left on the clock, but only have 24 hours left to complete.

I'll also be happy for a few extra fragments and appreciate the 40 or so dropped into each of my two cities. It got my second runestones up to level 5. Unfortunately, if I wan't to get the leftover fragments to a 3rd level 5 runestone, I'll have to do a few 50 FP runs.

DeletedUser37581

The only change to the Viking quests is that the final quest now requires gather 2500 copper and produce 10 of each good.
index.php

DeletedUser32439

are the changes meant to slow us down, did they think it was too easy .

has anyone figured out an effective way to do the last quest...i'm looking at 9 hours after you gather all goods.
....*sigh

DeletedUser32439

ok, i'll have to explain.

so, the stradegy i use and i assume most use is to get the expansions as quick as possible, then get all axes , then all mead, then all horns. unlock wool, get all wool. ( or what ever order of goods ).
at that point, you sell everything except 5 huts. gain 1200 diplomacy by building 50 clan totems.
wait an hour. then build 4 axes or beast hunters.
all done in an hour.

so, with the change to the last quest,if i continue to follow my strat. then when i complete all the goods, i would be looking at a 9 hour wait to build everything i need to complete the quest.

so i'm wondering if anyone has a better strat to do the last quest.

RazorbackPirate

So, the strategy i use and i assume most use is to get the expansions as quick as possible, then get all axes , then all mead, then all horns. unlock wool, get all wool. ( or what ever order of goods ).
at that point, you sell everything except 5 huts. gain 1200 diplomacy by building 50 clan totems.
all done in an hour.
No. That is not how I have ever played Vikings. I make the goods I need to unlock as I go, multiple goods buildings at a time. By the time I get to the last goods production needed to unlock Mead Hall, I know it's the last goods production. I tear down any extra goods buildings rebuild any missing. An hour later, I start their production. I had 2 goods buildings ready to collect an hour after I built a mead hall. last run.

I changed nothing in the development of my last settlement coming into this change. Having also changed the longest build times to 4 hours instead of 8, it saves the time on the front end you'll need to produce the goods and copper at the back end.

DeletedUser32439

thats very interesting, i will try that strat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emberguard

are the changes meant to slow us down, did they think it was too easy .

has anyone figured out an effective way to do the last quest...i'm looking at 9 hours after you gather all goods.
....*sigh
Yes. Look ahead and when you know you’re nearing the end work out if you can have 4 goods buildings with enough culture for unlocking mead hall. Start producing the excess 10’s early so you can collect at the same time you’d normally win the game.

ok, i'll have to explain.

so, the stradegy i use and i assume most use is to get the expansions as quick as possible, then get all axes , then all mead, then all horns. unlock wool, get all wool. ( or what ever order of goods ).
all done in an hour.

so, with the change to the last quest,if i continue to follow my strat. then when i complete all the goods, i would be looking at a 9 hour wait to build everything i need to complete the quest.

so i'm wondering if anyone has a better strat to do the last quest.
I’ve always produced whatever goods type I need as I need them prioritising any additional buildings to be the ones that will shortly be in high demand

For your specific strategy you don’t have to deviate too much early on. You only need to change once you get to the wool, maybe once you get to horns depending on how the run pans out

What usually I find happens is on the final collect of goods I’ll have more buildings then the amount I need for unlocking final techs. So as I wait for that single goods building to finish I tear down anything I don’t need and replace it with what I do need. This usually is enough time to place down willows and goods buildings. If you manage to catch it early enough you should be able to start producing the 10’s without adding much time onto the end if any. You might even be caught off guard with a x4 near enough to the end that it brings your plans forward (which is where it’s better to diversify once you’re nearing the amount of a single good you need so if you get a x4 it’s not wasted on something you can’t use)

DeletedUser32439

i normally work up to having 4 production buildings after i get 8 expacs.

would you have 2 till you unlock beast hunter, then have 3 till you unlock wool ?

DeletedUser32439

what happens if you have to unlock something that requires 4 axes, 84 mead, 32 horns.
how do you manage your buildings. would you build 5 axes then tear it down to build more mead buildings.
you would constantly tearing down buildings per unlock,i'd imagine you would eventually loose a lot of time trying to juggle the collections.

Emberguard

I play it by ear normally having 5 goods buildings or whatever the max amount I can cram into the space is.

Early on it can be 2 buildings. Sometimes 3. Depends on the impediment positions and whether I need mead or axes

DeletedUser32439

i dont understand the 4 hr build time. i never build anything over 1 hour build time.
what do you build that was longer than 4 hours

RazorbackPirate

i normally work up to having 4 production buildings after i get 8 expands.

would you have 2 till you unlock beast hunter, then have 3 till you unlock wool ?
For me it depends on how quickly I can unlock expansions along the way, which in later runs often depends on 4x triggers. Once shrines are unlocked, the number of goods buildings I run depends on pop and copper production. It is pretty common for me to have 3 goods buildings running once clan houses go down and I can fill the remaining space with shrines.
what happens if you have to unlock something that requires 4 axes, 84 mead, 32 horns.
how do you manage your buildings. would you build 5 axes then tear it down to build more mead buildings.
you would constantly tearing down buildings per unlock,i'd imagine you would eventually loose a lot of time trying to juggle the collections.
I would have looked ahead and run axes to unlock the last tech, and with only 4 axes needed for the next tech, probably the next tech after that as well. By then, I'll probably have all the horns and will be looking ahead a tech or two, and start producing while I finish up mead. I can say, at that stage of development, I'd be running one axe, 2 mead, and one horn.

The only way to rush goods is to get lucky with 4x production. If I do, it either means I get ahead on goods production, or buy another expansion earlier than otherwise. Unless there's an extreme imbalance of goods needed for the next couple of unlocks, once a goods building is planted, it generally runs until all the goods I need for the entire run have been completed. There are times, I'll have 3 buildings of one good and 1 building of two other types, at the end with axes and mead generally complete, I'll likely have 2 buildings of one type, 3 of another. As those final runs complete, I start building their replacement.
i dont understand the 4 hr build time. i never build anything over 1 hour build time.
It used to be that Clan Houses, Old Willows, and Mead Halls all took 8 hours to build. Now they only take 4. Two clan houses can take care of all your pop, one Hut or a couple shrines handling the rest, leaving lots of space for other stuff. Two old willows, handle the diplomacy of a bunch of totems, mead halls are a beast at copper production. Anyway, with 4 to 8 hours left before your village is done anyway, plenty of time to leave a nice village.

Here's how I left my last settlement, completed about a day after the patch. The idle goods buildings are the two that gave me 4x production when I collected, the other two are on their second and final run. Running copper producers while I wait.

index.php

Emberguard

Willows and clan huts. By doing it in sections of my needs instead of one good at a time when I reach the willow I’m still producing goods for the final tech and so no time is lost in using the best culture available so space isn’t a problem

Whereas if I’ve done everything except wool there’s a chance by the time I’ve got the wool to unlock willow I’ve also produced enough goods for mead hall to unlock and therefore lost time if I put down willow. If it takes longer to place willow then leaving it then I need more space unlocked for culture then I otherwise would. ‘Cause lets face it if I’m not producing the other goods anymore I’ve got a lot of space to produce wool.

Depends entirely on what the pattern of future needs is and the space available. You’re not tearing down every time you tech and it’s ok to have a little stockpile for future needs. I’m just saying you don’t need to save for /every/ need straight away or only one good at a time.

Look for patterns in the techtree. Usually there’s a series of techs in a row where one good isn’t needed much and then after is in high demand. That’s the good you produce for your future needs all of those little numbers before tearing down the building and putting up as many of the others as you can. I tend to find it happens in groups of 3 techs. If you plan to produce a good in its entirety tech wise when it’s not useable for a long time as you don’t have the other goods then you’re wasting time.

Something like this for example I’d never tear down the goods buildings as I’d need them again far too soon so there’d be no time saved
DC807441-65DF-4A31-B9B6-EBC97C33BA7E.jpeg

Whereas something like this I’d fulfill axes with a single axe building, check how close I am to a axe expansion and if too far away then dump axes so I can conenctrate purely on the higher demand goods to speed up those techs. If I can get clan huts in quickly I can save a lot of space and set up for the end.
429FDF1B-6C53-4AEA-A7ED-0177A8A0FD75.jpeg