• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Forwarded Visual Improvements to Battle Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aether7

Proposal
Add different colors to battle maps to distinguish between movement and attack ranges (with turn off option). Also make different terrain features more easily distinguishable and simplified by keeping them within their hex.

Current System (if applicable)
Currently movement and attack range are shown only with very light shadows. Different terrain features such as the palm tree show the top of the palm 2 hexes above the base where cover is provided to light units.

Details
For visual aid, I am proposing that different colors should be added to the hexs to more easily distinguish between the attack range and movement range while hovering over a unit. I would suggest blue for movement range and red for attack range, but am open to using alternate colors as long as they are easily distinguishable from each other and the terrain in the background.

For additional visual aid, re image the battle maps terrain features to keep them from spilling out of their hex. As an example, the top of the palm tree is shown 2 hexes above the base where the actual cover is provided for light units. Other types of vegetation also spills out or is difficult to determine the amount of cover it provides. Other examples of not so easily distinguishable features are hills and swamps from plains.

Abuse Prevention
None.

Visual Aids

upload_2019-4-2_20-3-6.png

Conclusion
I feel old asking for visual aid, but really only just turned 40.

Last edited:

Super Catanian

Welcome to the forums!!
First of all, thanks so much for putting this in proper format; it's greatly appreciated!

Yes, I too agree that the current visuals can be pretty hard to see.
This seems more like a color blind setting, which I wouldn't oppose to anyways, even though I'm not color blind.

With that, you have my vote.
+1

St. Jimmy

+1 in fact, if it dosnt get through imna message support myself(dealing with support is annoying) I WANT THIS IN THE GAME STAT!
They're just going to direct you to this forum.

Regarding the proposal, I have 2 concerns:

1. Please include in the proposal that it's an option so that I can turn it off
2. Will the added coloring have an effect on load/process time/resources? The battle parts of the game are glitchy enough (especially in GvG) that I wouldn't want to add another factor that could slow it down more.

Aether7

This is a pretty interesting idea.
Thanks, is that a +1?

Great for those that are colorblind

The colorblind can still see differences in color on a gray scale. Go watch old tv shows like "I love lucy". I think this pretty much covers it "alternate colors as long as they are easily distinguishable from each other and the terrain in the background."

1. Please include in the proposal that it's an option so that I can turn it off
2. Will the added coloring have an effect on load/process time/resources? The battle parts of the game are glitchy enough (especially in GvG) that I wouldn't want to add another factor that could slow it down more.
1. I can add that to the proposal.
2. I don't know, but I am not sure why a color effect would add more to load times than a shadow. Simplifying the background terrain should decrease load times.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
The colorblind can still see differences in color on a gray scale. Go watch old tv shows like "I love lucy". I think this pretty much covers it "alternate colors as long as they are easily distinguishable from each other and the terrain in the background."

So basically they see what we see now. No reason for change then.

1. I can add that to the proposal.
Every idea these days has to come with an option to turn it off. Might as well not put in the idea.

Algona

Not voting at this time.

Welcome to the forums. Outstanding first post, Looking forward to more from you.

I'm leaning towards yes. There's a lot of different parts of th UI that need to be touched up a little to help folk with sight problems. I want to see a little more discussion.

Thanks, is that a +1?

1. I can add that to the proposal.2. I don't know, but I am not sure why a color effect would add more to load times than a shadow. Simplifying the background terrain should decrease load times.
Excepting some discussion. Aether 7 highly recommend you not waste time arguing with this poster:

Every idea these days has to come with an option to turn it off. Might as well not put in the idea.
They'll lead you on a merry chase of differing confusing and condescending responses designed to disrupt your thread by distracting you from your actual topic.

Agent is well worth considering, they often make valid points. Unfortunately those points are too often hidden beneath bitter hostility. Talking with them is a waste of your time.

Which is really too bad, because when Agent forgets to do the provocation act, they are a quite good poster.

Aether7

Understood. I will accept your no vote.

Anyone else want to vote no because there is not any added benefit for the colorblind?

Which is really too bad, because when Agent forgets to do the provocation act, they are a quite good poster.
Thanks for the heads up. I do my best to find the good in others.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
Anyone else want to vote no because there is not any added benefit for the colorblind?
Nice spin. There is no real benefit anyhow. It is a battle. Learn how to fight, or use auto if you are not capable to learn how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.