• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

vote your conscience not your wallet

DeletedUser40473

it is true people vote for people who promise them free this and free that not for people who will do better for there country but those who make promises most of the time are broken and the country is left worse than before

DeletedUser

My conscience has been clear since November of 2004, and I apologize for my votes previous to that date. And voting your conscience and your wallet are not mutually exclusive.

DeletedUser40473

would your conscience tell u to vote for someone who will save babies over someone who promises u free stuff

DeletedUser

would your conscience tell u to vote for someone who will save babies over someone who promises u free stuff
First of all, nobody promises free stuff. Nobody. Second, the worst way to vote is to vote based on one single issue. That is why this country is in the quagmire it's in right now. My conscience, and my common sense, tells me to look at the entirety of what a candidate stands for and vote based on whether his entire platform is better or worse for the country as a whole than the entire platform of his opponent. I definitely won't get into details of my personal politics, because I would end up fighting with those from both ends of the political spectrum. Both sides are wrong on some things, and both sides are right on some things. For the last 40 years or so, I believe one side has abandoned the good of the country for their own agenda to a much, much greater degree than the other side, but neither side is right about everything.

Graviton

First of all, nobody promises free stuff. Nobody.

They all peddle "free" stuff, whether it's a sense of security or goodies from the national treasury. Of course, none of it is really free and a lot of it is absurd, but they conveniently leave those parts out, and they count on the blind patronage of their constituents. Both parties enjoy unthinking tribal loyalty in spades.

Both sides are wrong on some things, and both sides are right on some things.

That's pretty accurate. I'd also argue that both sides are just two sides of the same coin; they really aren't that different. The federal government is their answer to everything. When you have a hammer, and all that.

First, the choice is never that stark. The candidate who tells you he's saving babies is lying just as much as the one promising free stuff.

My conscience would tell me, as it has in the past, to abstain from voting for candidates I don't like, even when that means I leave that part of the ballot blank.

DeletedUser36572

Your conscience doesn’t have sides ... It is not necessary to pick a side in politics in order to follow your principles ... Unless you are intent on pursuing a never ending cycle of choosing the “lesser of evils”.

The government stands between you and your freedoms as well as the ability to pursue your conscience with respect to higher principles than the lowest common denominator.

Freshmeboy

I would support gun consfication as long as ALL the guns go the same route..that means police without guns, no National Guard with weapons and no military allowed to proclaim martial law in any sector of the US...

RazorbackPirate

I would support gun consfication as long as ALL the guns go the same route..that means police without guns, no National Guard with weapons and no military allowed to proclaim martial law in any sector of the US...
Right, because there's a universe where that makes any kind of sense.

DeletedUser36572

That's one way of looking at it. I look at it as the government standing between me and those (both foreign and domestic) who would take away my freedoms.

How exactly can anyone other than the government limit your freedoms under protection of the law?

Government, by definition (to govern), can only limit freedoms. Freedom does not originate in government. Unless of course you care to have the freedom to do as you are told ... :)

Last edited by a moderator: