• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What are the benefits of being in a small guild

DeletedUser31499

This came from over in forge hall where someone was questioning the fairness of GBG when small guilds go up against large guilds.
I see a lot of disadvantages. But there must be some benefits or why would players stay in a small guild?

Algona

This came from over in forge hall where someone was questioning the fairness of GBG when small guilds go up against large guilds.
I see a lot of disadvantages. But there must be some benefits or why would players stay in a small guild?

Assuming the Guilds are trying to excel:

Much easier management and lot less likelihood of serious personality problems and much easier to maintain high esprit d' corps since all the players are familiar with each other. One manager can take care of most Guild Administration.

Management of a large Guild entails recruiting, training, coordination, all soaking up a lot of overhead. typically requiring multiple managers and some form of management organization. It's also very difficult to track player status and which players do what especially meeting Guild Requirements and other obligations.

Note that it's typically the large Guilds that have problems in GBG with players taking unwanted actions.

It only takes a handful of quality players to do well in GvG. There was a two player Guild in Rugnir that did really well in GvG, before GBG they were a top 20 Guild.

GEC matches Guilds in size.

Guild Treasury is much easier to manage in smaller Guilds.

generalwoo

I'm in a small guild in my second world. I like it very much. We all know each other, it's easy to keep track of how everyone's doing, and there isn't much drama. There's also the feeling that we're the underdogs going against larger guilds, which really motivates us to give it our all.

The Lady Redneck

All the above is true. I am in big guilds and small guilds. The big guilds are fun, but a lot more work, and require a lot more thought. Even for an ordinary member.
For instance when real life kicks in and it stops a member from being able to complete GE that can be enough to stop the guild from getting the gold if competition is fierce. But in one 3 member guild I am in If a member leaves for a week we are out of active GE competition so our gold trophy line is safe. That also give us a time when we can sit and chill. Or if one of us wants to, can go off to visit friends in another guild to trade, fight along with them, build our GBs faster, get more BP's etc. So it helps build friends and allies. Everyone benefits.

DeletedUser37713

Over a year ago I moved from a small--6 members--to a more active one who has grown from 30 to 67 members in that time. Our answer to the issue of maintaining high esprit d' corps, and good participation in GE, GBG, and leveling GBs are recruitment policy.

We look for and only accept great players who are friendly and helpful. Membership is by invitation only. And even though I could invite someone, I will not do it without talking it over with our founder. In evidence of the quality of our recruitment is plain. We look for the best even when they are of a higher rink that our founder. He is not always in the top 5 as to rank. I see that as a good thing.

The next most important thing is management structure. Our founder delegates specific tasks. So that he does not do everything. We have competent Guild Battleground generals who keep us in line day and night. We "hold" or "cap" as we are instructed. No one gets out of line. Moreover we have nearly complete GE participation due to our esprit d' corps and incentives when someone completes his or her 64.

jsc29

On our server there are some smaller guilds that are Diamond League. Pretty amazing how they can fight against the big guilds.

The only real advantage of being in a small guild is that you might get more attention and favors from the top players. For example, I had a friend in a small guild and the leader was feeding him hundreds of FP constantly.

However, in the long run a big guild is way better than a small guild (assuming equally advanced players) for several reasons:

(1) your GBs will level a lot faster
(2) trading is better, the more people are in the trading pool
(3) it's more likely more people will be online at any given time
(4) bigger guilds do better at PVP on average

That being said, a good small guild is a lot better than a large guild full of mediocre players. When I first started playing I was in an open invitation 80-member guild that had a lot of weak players and freeloaders in it and they did not open level 3 or 4 of GE, so I could only do GE 1 and 2. That was a total bummer. Later I joined a small guild of about 16 players, but all of them were heavy hitters 10M points and up and one 330M points. They were all really smart and helped me enormously, much more than the weakies in the open invitation guild. The open invitation guild was just way too casual for a serious player like me. Of course, if you are just logging on once a week, you may want to be in a large casual guild. Normally small, hardcore guilds will not tolerate an inactive or casual player.

Aggressor

From what I've seen people are less likely to ditch a small guild of people they know more personally than a big guild that's just like all the other big guilds

Farfle the smelly

So far I have had both. I think smaller guilds are great if you’re seeking advice and personal daily attention from guild-mates/leaders. I don’t think it’s a detriment to GB leveling because in general it’s a concerted effort to help level. EVERYONE dumps FPS on the building, not just a few higher players. Ive seen this increase cultural responsiveness since the guild is all for one, etc. That said, I can imagine GBG being more difficult with less players, depending on the league/world. And trading might take longer...