• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What Do You Hate Most About FoE?

mamboking053

* By most, I mean choose the ONE thing you hate, disagree with, or find unappealing about the game. If you do answer, give a good argument about why you believe that way, and how you feel it impacts you and the game.

* I'd also prefer well thought-out answers. Don't respond instinctively, but think on it a little and be sure that the thing you mention is the thing that you disagree with the most. Play a little more so that you may run into the situation that really peeves you.

For me, I dislike the lack of variety in combat. I don't the fact that there is no combat in Cultural Settlements- which makes that part of the game a cycling SIM game. I realize that many of FoE's functions are the same elements rearranged. For instance, Daily Challenges, events, Quests are basically a scattering of the same things. You're not really doing anything different, you are just getting different things. The only difference with combat is the bonuses. (I've suggested throwing in unique abilities for the enemy troops to spice things up. Another less interesting way would be to throw next age units into the line-up every once in a while). I would also MUCH, MUCH rather have to skillfully navigate my way through ten difficult battles than to auto 80 battles. I feel like the engagement in the fight- the risk and the uncertainty- are far more rewarding. I would also suggest reactive enemies- meaning that on some difficulties the enemies will scale with your own ability so that you cannot auto throw them. This might be achieved by a unique battle scenario - CIVIL WAR- where you fight an enemy that has your buffs.

DeletedUser29726

My biggest dislike could be summed up as "mindless clicking". I tend to look for mental stimulation over time spent clicking in games. Planning out strategies to overcome challenges and whatnot.

This encompasses settlements that by the time you're doing it the 3rd time you're not really planning anything even - shove some stuff around, start the timers, collect the timers. And there's so many still to go. Finished my 15th now and I don't think I've ever hated this game so much (especially with next one now on beta). Especially the part where you're best served buying and selling diplomacy to unlock the next tech.

This encompasses taverns which while they have nice buffs are an extra button to click on every friend.

This encompasses aid which once upon a time when it was the only chore in the game was barely tolerable - now 'ugh, i guess i should aid. maybe i could go find some idiot to argue with on the forums instead.'

This encompasses battles so trivial they may as well be autoed. a.k.a. almost every battle in the game now. They gave us too much power and yet balance most content for people who don't have it or have left old content (GvG) to become dated and mind-numbingly trivial.

This encompasses dropping thousands of FP on buildings requiring hundreds of clicks - sorta takes the place of what Aid use to be now where it's the chore "worth" doing.

Effectively they've turned what was once a strategy game into a god damn clicker.

DreadfulCadillac

Inno messed up the game economy because they did no planning ahead.
And they did a good job at messing it up
BUT i mean there is such a majorly more amount of everything these days..
not trying to get rid of my own strategy, but i shouldnt be able to EASILY trade 10 sam good to dozens of thousands of low age goods.
Edit one:also good hoarders who ARE NOT ME.i mean, all ya other people hoard goods that you could fair trade to me!

Last edited:

Super Catanian

Something that I don't like is the large number of Event Buildings that produce a huge amount of Coins. A lot of them are smaller than the Town Hall, and they produce a lot more Coins. This causes me to have a huge imbalance of Coins compared to Supplies. For example, I have more than 14.000.000 Coins, yet about 2.300.000 Supplies.

These Event Buildings also imbalance the game when it comes to Goods. For instance, back then, your strategy was to build the 2 Goods Buildings of each age corresponding to your Deposits. Now, with so many GBs, but mostly these Event Buildings, many players are in no need of Good Buildings, rendering these Deposits useless until the Modern Era. Most players (including myself) already have a lot of Event Buildings before then.

Oh, and of course, a player being able to obtain later era Goods in order to build GBs such as The Arc. I mean, how incredibely unrealistic is that? A city that doesn't even have access to clean water, technologically speaking, and yet using Goods like Purified Water in order to build The Arc.

Godly Luke

The one thing that drives me up the wall is the complexity of the arc. It is mostly me not having a clue what all the math and such is about. I know what the arc does, but it is so confusing half the time!

Graviton

Players who can't figure out how to work swap threads:
No I don't want to level your GB ("OK to level") and then put the other half of the swap on the next level; I get nothing for any of that.
No don't put your GB in a swap thread and then say, "please don't level"; if it's that close it shouldn't be in a swap thread to begin with. It's not my job to monitor your GB.
No, don't post your GB in the main Guild thread. If your guild has no swap threads you're in the wrong guild.

That's still one thing, it just has sub-categories.

DeletedUser

The thing that I dislike most about the game isn't really the game, it's the players who think that the thing they like most about the game is therefore the most important part of the game or the only way to play. GvGers, Arc owners, RQers, Alabaster enthusiasts, etc. There are parts of the game that I really like, but I am aware enough of the totality of what the game offers to know that my preferences don't translate into WHAT THE GAME'S ABOUT. They're my preferences, not everybody's. And what a boring game it would be if the developers listened to only one group or another and narrowed the game's scope instead of expanding it.

DreadfulCadillac

The thing that I dislike most about the game isn't really the game, it's the players who think that the thing they like most about the game is therefore the most important part of the game or the only way to play. GvGers, Arc owners, RQers, Alabaster enthusiasts, etc. There are parts of the game that I really like, but I am aware enough of the totality of what the game offers to know that my preferences don't translate into WHAT THE GAME'S ABOUT. They're my preferences, not everybody's. And what a boring game it would be if the developers listened to only one group or another and narrowed the game's scope instead of expanding it.
the way u threw alabaster enthusiasts
in there had me laughing for 5 min

mamboking053

Players who can't figure out how to work swap threads:
No I don't want to level your GB ("OK to level") and then put the other half of the swap on the next level; I get nothing for any of that.
No don't put your GB in a swap thread and then say, "please don't level"; if it's that close it shouldn't be in a swap thread to begin with. It's not my job to monitor your GB.
No, don't post your GB in the main Guild thread. If your guild has no swap threads you're in the wrong guild.

That's still one thing, it just has sub-categories.

"please don't level"

Oh, I hate that one as well, lol.

DeletedUser30312

Settlements. Definitely settlements. Been sticking in my craw all year.

Yeah, so annoying when players put GBs in swap threads for more FP that it's going to cost to level the GB. Usually grinds the whole thread to a halt when the other players are avoiding spoiling the double dip. The only exception is when someone dumps extra FP in a GB that was "safe".

... Alabaster enthusiasts...

Heh. To be fair, tuck's views on the game are rather...unique to say the least.

Freshmeboy

When on the road, I pirate wi-fi to play or collect...if the signal isn't at full strength, aid takes forever....it's like grinding wheel on my skull DSL....

Emberguard

People thinking that the neighbours shouldn’t interact with their city with plundering and sniping when there’s no diplomatic ties or agreements. This is a war game as much as it is anything else. Or that outsiders owe them a set amount if they put stuff on their GB. Like come on. Why should we play one hand tied behind our back?

DeletedUser40061

dont pounce on me but..when you buy expansion lots with diamonds for example, it should stay at 200 a piece instead of 200. 400 etc. and the app for mobile should be reduced in size. currently it is 812MB...may not seem like much
People thinking that the neighbours shouldn’t interact with their city with plundering and sniping when there’s no diplomatic ties or agreements. This is a war game as much as it is anything else. Or that outsiders owe them a set amount if they put stuff on their GB. Like come on. Why should we play one hand tied behind our back?

yes it is a wargame, but i also beleive in mutaul understanding between rival parties. why cant me and the other rival come together as one. stop the attacking. help each other out by leveling GBs. both parties can reap the rewards. i always try find a resolvement that doesnt involve disputes. just like my views on conflicting countries in the real world. war doesnt do anything except make things worse. those countries rather settle indifferences and do war, kill each other etc. lay down your arms and shake hands..or high fives all around. -*stepping down from my soap box

Emberguard

yes it is a wargame, but i also beleive in mutaul understanding between rival parties. why cant me and the other rival come together as one. stop the attacking. help each other out by leveling GBs. both parties can reap the rewards. i always try find a resolvement that doesnt involve disputes
Ok fine. If we both have a lvl 80 Arc (or just high arcs) we can band together and snipe the neighbourhood. Much cheaper then going it alone