• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is the highest population you can get?

DeletedUser4844

The highest possible population currently is hard to say exactly, but I could estimate it. First of all, understand that as you play the game, the spae you have to build stuff in your city grows. Eventually it can grow from the initial 16 4x4 city squares you have to as many as 92 city squares (possibly more, but the amont of city squares you can gain for medals currently is unclear). With the next technological age for the game (Modern Era) there will probably be additional city squares available). However, going by 92, that is 92 x 4x4 = 1472 city spaces.

Also, the amount of population per square grows depending on the type of buildings you build, which depend upon the technological age you are in. The highest technological age currently is the progressive era, and the highest population per square buildings in the game are of that era, and called high rises. They require 9 squares (3x3), and they also need to have a connection to your city hall via a 2-lane highway, but they provide 1087 population each.

In addition, there is two great buildings (The Capitol and Tower of Babel) that can provide population. The tower of Babel is not as efficient as high rises in terms of population per square, even at level 10, but the Capital is better. So we will include The Capitol in our hypothetical city.

Note that in order to maximize population we need to ignore any other buildings and ignore happiness considerations, neither of which you would ever do in actual play, but this is a thought experiment. City hall takes up 42 space, so that leaves us with 1430. Since all the high rises will require two lane roads our whole city will use them, including for the Capitol building. That means we will build such a road along it's shortest side (it is 7x5, so we build it along the 5 side) and assume there will be high-rises on the side of the road opposite it. This means effectively the Capitol, and each other building then city hall, will take up one lane of a 2-lane road along their shortest side, so we will lengthen the longest dimension by 1 for space calculation purposes. That means the Capitol effectively takes up 8 x 5 = 40 spaces, leaving us with 1390 spaces.

Each High rise takes up 3x3, lengthened into 4x3 or 12 including the connecting road, spaces. This gives us 1390 / 12 = 115 (rounded down) high rises in our city. However, keep in mind that you can never get things quite this efficient because the road layout has to all connect up to city hall and thing will never quite fit this perfectly. Let's just knock off a theoretical 10% of those high-rises to account for that, leaving us with 103 high rises.

Each high rise provides 1,087 population, so 103 of them gives us 111,961 population. A level 10 Capital building gives us an additional 10530 population, so the total would come to about 122,491 as a maximum population in your city, given current restrictions on city space and residential buildings.

DeletedUser

The highest possible population currently is hard to say exactly, but I could estimate it. First of all, understand that as you play the game, the spae you have to build stuff in your city grows. Eventually it can grow from the initial 16 4x4 city squares you have to as many as 92 city squares (possibly more, but the amont of city squares you can gain for medals currently is unclear). With the next technological age for the game (Modern Era) there will probably be additional city squares available). However, going by 92, that is 92 x 4x4 = 1472 city spaces.

Also, the amount of population per square grows depending on the type of buildings you build, which depend upon the technological age you are in. The highest technological age currently is the progressive era, and the highest population per square buildings in the game are of that era, and called high rises. They require 9 squares (3x3), and they also need to have a connection to your city hall via a 2-lane highway, but they provide 1087 population each.

In addition, there is two great buildings (The Capitol and Tower of Babel) that can provide population. The tower of Babel is not as efficient as high rises in terms of population per square, even at level 10, but the Capital is better. So we will include The Capitol in our hypothetical city.

Note that in order to maximize population we need to ignore any other buildings and ignore happiness considerations, neither of which you would ever do in actual play, but this is a thought experiment. City hall takes up 42 space, so that leaves us with 1430. Since all the high rises will require two lane roads our whole city will use them, including for the Capitol building. That means we will build such a road along it's shortest side (it is 7x5, so we build it along the 5 side) and assume there will be high-rises on the side of the road opposite it. This means effectively the Capitol, and each other building then city hall, will take up one lane of a 2-lane road along their shortest side, so we will lengthen the longest dimension by 1 for space calculation purposes. That means the Capitol effectively takes up 8 x 5 = 40 spaces, leaving us with 1390 spaces.

Each High rise takes up 3x3, lengthened into 4x3 or 12 including the connecting road, spaces. This gives us 1390 / 12 = 115 (rounded down) high rises in our city. However, keep in mind that you can never get things quite this efficient because the road layout has to all connect up to city hall and thing will never quite fit this perfectly. Let's just knock off a theoretical 10% of those high-rises to account for that, leaving us with 103 high rises.

Each high rise provides 1,087 population, so 103 of them gives us 111,961 population. A level 10 Capital building gives us an additional 10530 population, so the total would come to about 122,491 as a maximum population in your city, given current restrictions on city space and residential buildings.

That's it??? That is a small town. I don't want to play this game anymore now(and I have spent quite a bit of money on it). I was wanting a population in the millions.

DeletedUser4844

That's it. If it helps any you can imagine that each 1 population actually represents 100 people.

Chances are good that that number will slightly more then double when we get the next age, which they are working on now.

DeletedUser

That's it. If it helps any you can imagine that each 1 population actually represents 100 people.

Chances are good that that number will slightly more then double when we get the next age, which they are working on now.

I hope so. I was wanting to end up with a city more along the lines of modern day London or Rome's population.

DeletedUser

My opinion is this: What a collection nightmare! Unless the building housed thousands of people, it would take forever to collect and a pain to keep adjusting your city to collect.

DeletedUser4844

Given that it seems the building population roughly doubles every age, and that in the progressive age high rises hold 1087 people, it actually seems likely that in the next age the highest population building will probably hold over 2000, so probably buildings will be able to house thousands of people in the next age (albeit barely).

DeletedUser

I want my city to look more like this....

View attachment 569

I was wondering if they would cover a future era. I am also wondering what the Modern Age will cover? Will it cover today 2013 as well? Or will we get another era that would cover the 1990s or 2000s on? I was thinking that the internet era from like the 1990s to today might be after the Modern era. Maybe like the Early Modern Era and the Late Modern Era.

DeletedUser4844

Totally guessing here, but, well, there is an awful lot of territory still available on the world map. I could easily see them having a modern age from maybe the 30's to the 50's, and then a computer age from the 60's to the 90's, and then an information/internet age from the 2000's to current day. Mind you, they probably won't introduce more then one age every 3 or 4 months. Who knows, they might even introduce future ages eventually.

DeletedUser2145

I too believe the Modern Era will revolve around the 30's and the 50's. Not sure how they plan on doing future eras, but so far I believe the rumors are that will be no "future" eras. If they do anything "future", it will probably be something close to our current days, I think what they want to avoid is a sci-fi world. So, nothing too far ahead.

But then again, anything could happen in months, they might just change their minds.

DeletedUser

Totally guessing here, but, well, there is an awful lot of territory still available on the world map. I could easily see them having a modern age from maybe the 30's to the 50's, and then a computer age from the 60's to the 90's, and then an information/internet age from the 2000's to current day.

Actually the '90s would be the start of the information/internet age as the internet age took off in that decade.

- - - Updated - - -

I too believe the Modern Era will revolve around the 30's and the 50's. Not sure how they plan on doing future eras, but so far I believe the rumors are that will be no "future" eras. If they do anything "future", it will probably be something close to our current days, I think what they want to avoid is a sci-fi world. So, nothing too far ahead.

But then again, anything could happen in months, they might just change their minds.

Actually a mod has confirmed to me that the modern era won't be the last. I am thinking it will be two Modern Eras one being the early Modern Era and the second being the Late Modern Era, kind of like how they have done the Middle Ages. That will give plenty of room to make a city at least to half a million in population, if not more.

DeletedUser2145

Actually a mod has confirmed to me that the modern era won't be the last.

Yes, I too am a mod and know Modern Era won't be the last, that's not my point. By "future" I meant something past our present day, futuristic elements, robots and other shmat. The Modern Era that's coming will not include present day, it will be around the 30's and the 50's. So there will be more ages after it, I was talking about futuristic ages.

And don't assume that the developers would go just for a high peak of an era (90's for information era), they're not following any book or list here, they're adapting the eras/ages for the purpose of the game.

DeletedUser

Yes, I too am a mod and know Modern Era won't be the last, that's not my point. By "future" I meant something past our present day, futuristic elements, robots and other shmat. The Modern Era that's coming will not include present day, it will be around the 30's and the 50's. So there will be more ages after it, I was talking about futuristic ages.

And don't assume that the developers would go just for a high peak of an era (90's for information era), they're not following any book or list here, they're adapting the eras/ages for the purpose of the game.

So will there be an early modern era for the '30s to the '50s and a middle and late Modern Era for the years after that?

DeletedUser2785

IDK, but mebbe Space age, sputnik/apollo/ etc. Then Mistake age, Disco/ Nixon / Carter/ Soviet Russia/OPEC, etc ????????/