• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What is wrong with my city?

DeletedUser35976

Here is my city (the bushes and stone mason/ dye works are just holding space/ collecting some additional goods until I advance to HMA):
https://i.imgur.com/qjn9TAn.png

If you look at my supplies to coins ratio, you can see they are way of wack. What is wrong with my city?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Without seeing your city, I can still tell you that unless you really pay attention to supplies, they will not grow nearly as fast as coins. This is based on having started over 2 dozen cities over 3 years of playing. Coins always build up almost without effort, but supplies usually take some attention to keep anywhere close to coins.

What world do you play on?

DeletedUser35976

Without seeing your city, I can still tell you that unless you really pay attention to supplies, they will not grow nearly as fast as coins. This is based on having started over 2 dozen cities over 3 years of playing. Coins always build up almost without effort, but supplies usually take some attention to keep anywhere close to coins.

What world do you play on?

Houndsmoor

DeletedUser

Darn, I was hoping it was a world I had a city on so I could look at your city. :(

Looking at your link, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. For one thing, your Pirate Ship gives way more coins than supplies, so that's part of it. What production cycles are you using for your supply buildings?

DeletedUser35976

Darn, I was hoping it was a world I had a city on so I could look at your city. :(

Looking at your link, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. For one thing, your Pirate Ship gives way more coins than supplies, so that's part of it. What production cycles are you using for your supply buildings?
24 hour, and there is constant there is a constant risk of plundering in my neighborhood.

DeletedUser

24 hour, and there is constant there is a constant risk of plundering in my neighborhood.
I understand about the plundering, but the 24 hour production is the least efficient for production buildings. I realize your real life schedule might not work for this, but I usually use an 8 hour cycle overnight, and then a 4 and an 8 hour cycle during the day. One thing that will help would be to level up your Lighthouse of Alexandria, as every level it is raised increases the boost to your supply productions. Another thing is that when you first move up to a new age and upgrade your buildings, your supply numbers are always going to take a hit, so it's natural to have a dip then. And coins are always going to be ahead of supplies, usually way ahead. For example, in one of my cities that is in Contemporary Era I have over 400 million coins but only about 55 million supplies.

Agent327

You have tannery's and shoemakers. Same size, but shoemakers produce more, so use those.

With a 24hr production cycle you hardly profit from your Lighthouse. Do short productions when you are online to take max profit from the Lighthouse. After that move to an 8 hr production when you are offline. The few times your production buildings will be plundered hardly hurts you.

Anotger thing is that you have to many roads and you have decorations. Get rid of those.

DeletedUser3882

What is wrong with my city?
Is that what you are trying to spell with all those extra winding roads??

The extra roads..
are just holding space

Yes. You know this already evidently , although your sentences above are as out of order as your roads are. Minimize roads as much as possible by keeping like sized buildings together in columns/rows. Saves more space to add in more things even if they...
are just holding space
for now.

DeletedUser35712

Here is my city (the bushes and stone mason/ dye works are just holding space/ collecting some additional goods until I advance to HMA):
https://i.imgur.com/qjn9TAn.png
If you look at my supplies to coins ratio, you can see they are way of wack. What is wrong with my city?
I would never recommend building a bunch of decorations because they eat up valuable aid. If you want placemarkers, I would just replace them with supply buildings. You can try to design your city around HQ'ing.
You also have a bunch of roads running along the edge of your city, which is inefficient.

DeletedUser30791

That's really not out of whack. I think my closest city is 2 to 1 coins to supplies. On my main city, I have 100M coins and only 6M supplies.

DeletedUser37282

Something I do to get my supplies up is.....
When I have time to kill I will buy the best supply boost in the tavern and for as long as I can I will do 5 min productions.
I have over 23 million just sitting in my account.

RazorbackPirate

I agree about the roads, you always want to minimize them as much as possible, and keep them off the edge of the map, especially the edges of the map you cannot add expansions to.

If you're looking to increase supplies relative to coins, you want to eliminate all of your Shoemakers and replace them with Tanneries. The advantage of Tanneries is they require less population, 54 vs. 77. This means you can eliminate more houses and build more Tanneries offsetting the slightly lower supply production.

You already have an excess of population, which will increase more when you start replacing the Shoemakers. This will allow you to both eliminate houses and build more Tanneries. You're looking to balance your population between the two. Keep removing houses and building Tanneries until your excess pop is less than 54. Keeping excess pop to a minimum also keeps your Happy demands to a minimum so you don't use up excess space with culture or decos.

When you sell houses, sell all of the Frame Houses first, then replace any leftover with Clapboard Houses. Population density is also the reason it's time to sell your remaining Cottage and Villas. Pop / Number of Tiles = Pop per Tile. This will free up the maximum space (111 vs 67) so you can build more Tanneries, less houses will produce less coins, but one of the biggest impact will be to free up motivations that can then hit your Tanneries.

Do not underestimate the power of motivations. That's the biggest reason why you want to eliminate all of your decorations and build only the highest producing cultural building you can build. Happy / Number of tiles = Happy per Tile. When you do the math, you'll also see the Theater has run it's course.

Each Deco and Culture building eats 2 Aid button clicks per day. It appears you have about 25 culture/decos, which means 50 Aid button clicks that are not available to motivate your production buildings. That's another reason you want to sell your Frame Houses first. With a one hour collection time and 13 Frame Houses, collecting them just 8x per day will suck down 104 motivations, collecting 12x per day will suck down 156. So right out of the gate, you've got 150-200 aid button clicks that will never motivate your production buildings.

Why are motivations so important? Because it doubles the production of a building after all the other boosts have been applied. (Base + (Base * (Boost %s + Boost %s)) * 2 if motivated) For example using LoA level 5:

(Tannery 24 hour production base + (Tannery 24 hour production base * (Happy Boost % + LoA Boost %) * 2 if motivated) = (810 +(810 * (0.2 + 0.95)) * 2) = 4,552. Without motivation, just 2,276.

That's why I also disagree with the advice to run short little production times. Not only will you burn through your motivations, you'll also burn through your LoA boosts. Without them, running 5 minute productions, you'd have to collect each Tannery 82 times to equal the production of a single motivated 24 hour collection. Plus you can't run the 'Produce 2 pairs of fine boots' RQ, which makes no sense either. Plus motivated buildings can't be plundered, so it even helps with that.

Which also means you need to stay on top of your Friends list to dump the players that do not aid and visit your Tavern, and replace them and solicit friend requests from active players who aid and visit.

Why is visiting your Tavern as important as aid? So you can afford to buy a 60% Tavern Supply Boots every day. As has been mentioned, you'll always make tons of coins almost by accident, the above suggestions will help you maximize your Supplies as well. If you RQ, this will increase the number of daily UBQs you'll be able to afford.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DeletedUser36624

Shoemakers have 30% more production than tanneries in the same space. Are you sure you don't have that backwards?

I have four shoemakers and 31 clapboard houses that produce coins. The shoemakers outproduce the clapboard houses.

1. I have a LoA.
2. I built all the shoemakers *after* the bulk of my clapboard houses. Any clapboard houses I built after the shoemakers are disconnected from the road (5 of these). I did this after I noticed that after the "priority list", the things that were getting motivated were the most recently built. Now my shoemakers get motivated before the houses. Motivated buildings can't be plundered. I run them 8 hours overnight, and a mix of 1 or 4 hour during the day, depending on my schedule, and the rate of motivations coming in. This maximizes the utility of the LoA.
3. I killed all decorations, and have only a few cultural buildings. This minimizes the mopos they take up. Happiness need is met almost entirely by GB's, which don't need mopo.

RazorbackPirate

Shoemakers have 30% more production than tanneries in the same space. Are you sure you don't have that backwards?
I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I've fixed it to say what I meant in the first place.

I've been parked in HMA for a while so it's hard to remember exactly, but I recall selling my Shoemakers and going back to all Tanners after getting the RQ diamonds, because I could eliminate more houses and build more production with Tanners. Maximizing RQs was a part of the math, so that might have been the tipping point to go back.

DeletedUser36624

I think that's an edge case when you're purely going to 24hr production for the RQ's. If the OP is doing 24hr purely for the sake of avoiding plundering, then arranging things so that production gets motivated first nearly eliminates the problem. Shoemakers instead of tanneries lowers the number of mopos and LoA uses needed for the same production, so if you can run shorter productions while getting them all mopo'd and LoA'd, then shoemakers win on a pure production basis.