• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What music are you listening to right now?

Super Catanian

@Super Catanian, that visualization is very interesting. Very "Guitar Hero"-ish, neat to see. It reminded me of a visualization of the brilliant James Jamerson bass line for "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". I tell people this is pretty close to what bass players see in our heads when we're jamming:

That's neat-o! The visualization above is really popular when learning piano. They are commonly known as Synthesia tutorials, since Synthesia is the name of the application that makes visuals like that from MIDI files. It was how I've been learning piano since I started over 5 years ago, and I still use it today, since it's slightly easier than reading sheet music.

I would also say that's kinda what pianists see, but obviously not exactly like that. Heck, I don't even know what I see; I just practice until I memorize, and then it kinda comes out naturally, as long as I keep looking at the keys every so often to get the spacings right.

Unrelated but not really...
1586387426608.png

Super Catanian

I find this mesmerizing. I've watched it countless times and am always a little sad when it ends.
Hey I love that piece! I only know how to play the first minute of it by memory (its H E C C I N G difficult), and I hope to be able to play it someday. To do that I'll need to take actual lessons, though (I'm almost completely self-taught; I took violin in middle school, a public middle school, at that).

Always brings back memories of Tom and Jerry, my favorite show as a kid, and part of the inspiration that caused me to become a pianist today. Classical music is the best!

This is my favorite version of the piece, with the Guitar Hero-ish graphics Graviton mentioned. It does contain the Hamelin Cadenza, which isn't always pleasing to hear the first time, but it still has that furious ending that we all love.

Super Catanian

Cello=Big violin viola.

Musicians will understand (perhaps even non-musicians, but most likely not). And, yes, I know the full name of the instrument is violoncello for a reason...