• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

whats the most painful thing that ever happened to you?

• Thread starter DeletedUser40473
  • Start date

saknika

Lets see though...

Physically, it'd be when my tendinitis decided to show itself. My body has a strange way of reacting to pain (and I don't know why), and instead of just localizing to my left elbow, at first I was in full-body please-let-me-die kind of pain. I don't know how much ibuprofen I took to deal with it (I did eventually go to urgent care and the ER, who did nothing), but it was a lot. Enough to make my teeth numb. When it was finally narrowed down and I saw an orthopedic doc, he got me fixed right up with physical therapy and such but yikes. It was so bad. The only other thing that has ever come close to that is the ulceration in my eye from sleeping with contacts in (and almost going blind in that eye) when I was a senior in high school, or the pain of severe tooth decay from a wisdom tooth gone waaaaaaay south. Eye pain and tooth pain are their own special breed of beasts though, for sure.

Emotionally it was losing my mom last year to cancer very suddenly. She had been going downhill for a few years, but it just got rapid all at once from May 2018 until she passed in August 2018 just a week before she was supposed to start treatment. Worse yet was it came only eight months after my aunt, her older sister, passed away from cancer as well. Both lung cancer, but different kinds. Same thing that too their mother (my grandmother), and their aunt (my great aunt). To give you reference (and because I don't mind sharing this), I just turned 30 this year so I lost my mother at 29. She was 59 years old, she would have turned 60 in 2018. It was a really hard year on the whole family. I'm the oldest of three, so I tried to be strong for my siblings, but on top of that I had to be strong for my Dad who was so lost without Mom. He still is.

DeletedUser

Physically, a kidney stone ties with a hernia for the worst pain. Emotionally, going through a divorce was the worst. Anyone telling you their divorce wasn't that bad is lying to themselves...or they weren't invested in the marriage in the first place.

UBERhelp1

Physically: hand foot and mouth disease. Imagine everything being intensely itchy for days so that you can't concentrate, sleep, or do anything.

Also physically: stepping on a lego. Nuf said.

Mentally: working in a store where the playlist just keeps repeating... and repeating... and repeating

Super Catanian

Physically: hand foot and mouth disease. Imagine everything being intensely itchy for days so that you can't concentrate, sleep, or do anything.
Reminds me of the time I was placed under anesthesia while getting my teeth clean. My face was numb and I counldn't speak; also I was drooling everywhere.

Also physically: stepping on a lego. Nuf said.
My equivalent was when I was trying to go down the stairs while it was dark (barefoot, BTW). When I was almost finished, my foot slips, and as I toppled down trying not to wake anyone up (or die, but that's not important), the central part of my foot steps on the corner of the last step. Tile stairs.

Mentally: working in a store where the playlist just keeps repeating... and repeating... and repeating
Mine is having to hear my older sister put the same country songs over and over every single day...

Another thing I went through...
Perhaps two years ago, I was mowing the front lawn of my old house. I have to take a sharp 90 degree turn to cut the grass in one of the corners. On one of the sides is the wooden gate that lead to our back yard. What I didn't see was the nail that was sticking out of that gate, and my right arm runs past that nail, leaving a deep gash the size of my thumb. The scar is still there.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

i jumped off a 17 foot tall building and then lifted motor heads for 4 hours, i was fine till the next day.

i will think of something else later
Wow, this appears like accelerated learning, making terrible things the main example. I'll put my most painful thing on earth, I had to use by true necessity, a mobile phone to get
each thing done for years and years like an evolution arrow of a person pointing < way. For pain ratio, I'll put prolonged, instead of shock and get to work healing later on. I have at least an Alacatel swipey by now, in radioactive studies. My painful terror is the thought of the dumber the better in life for a mindset too.

The Lady Redneck

Worst Emotional one was losing my younger son (Derek) at 3 months of age to SIDS. People can explain that it is not anything I did or did not do all they like. And I know that is true. It is years ago now, but there is no real closure. It is not something that rules my life or that I think about every day. But at times, for a few moments, something will trigger off a "Why?" and the pain and grief returns.

Physical pain one is recent and ongoing. I am waiting to get gallbladder removed. I have a high pain threshold but first bout of pain with this had me on the floor begging for ANYTHING to stop it. Morphine shot did the trick. but my immune system threw a hissy fit and started attacking everything so I ended up with Sepsis and severe panceatitis plus liver and kidney problems. Have been into hospital 4 further times with flare ups of my gallbladder last was just before Christmas. So am home with painkillers plus morphine when needed. As they will not operate until they are sure the Sepsis is really gone. Luckily though the hospital I go to does have great patient WiFi. So I can take my laptop in with me and lie in bed playing this game to keep my mind off yet more drips, bloodwork, ultrasounds and MRIs. And it is priceless when a consultant is trying to use his best bedside manner and asks if I am on Facebook with my family and I say " No I do NOT do Facebook, that is for soap lovers. I am playing FoE" ..... "FoE??" ...... "Yes (smiles back) It is an online strategy and war game". Said eminent consultant looks blank whilst young student doctors looking on fail to hide the grins.

Super Catanian

At about the age of four or five, playing on top of a large steel plow pulled by a tractor. I fell off and hit my head one of of its blades hard enough that I had to get stitches. Everyone in my family says I was already underneath one of the beams and while getting up, it had happened. I remember falling, though, and I don't think I could have stood up fast enough to hit my head that hard. Surprised I didn't crack my skull and die.

Almost a decade later, something similar happened. Diving off a short cliff in Turner Falls, Oklahoma without checking how shallow the water was first.

History really does repeat itself.

The Lady Redneck

Edit: I meant electrified. That would be creepy if I was electrocuted and was still talking to y'all.

I had an uncle back in the UK who was electrocuted. They were working on the farm building a big haystack. This old guy was carrying a long metal ladder and my uncle said he would carry it for him. They walked round this corner not realizing there was a low slung high voltage electricity cable (4000 volts). My uncle had work boots with iron studs in the soles. So when the ladder hit the cable ZAP!! He did not even lose consciousness. He just kept saying he could not lie there, his wife was working and he had to go pick up the kids from school. When he got to hospital his hands and feet were badly burned, all his hair was gone (it never grew back) and his boots and clothes just disintegrated. The doctors told him that if he ever went to the USA and murdered anyone he would not get the Electric chair as he had just survived a more powerful shock than they used for that. He got over it and lived until he was 86.

Super Catanian

I had an uncle back in the UK who was electrocuted. They were working on the farm building a big haystack. This old guy was carrying a long metal ladder and my uncle said he would carry it for him. They walked round this corner not realizing there was a low slung high voltage electricity cable (4000 volts). My uncle had work boots with iron studs in the soles. So when the ladder hit the cable ZAP!! He did not even lose consciousness. He just kept saying he could not lie there, his wife was working and he had to go pick up the kids from school. When he got to hospital his hands and feet were badly burned, all his hair was gone (it never grew back) and his boots and clothes just disintegrated. The doctors told him that if he ever went to the USA and murdered anyone he would not get the Electric chair as he had just survived a more powerful shock than they used for that. He got over it and lived until he was 86.
*(Stammering to find the words)*

Just... *(Stammers again)*

H O W ? !

The Lady Redneck

@Super Catanian .... The doctors reacted just as you did. He had no after effect at all, no scarring and was back at work as soon as the burns healed enough to let him walk and use his hands again. And he worked until he was 70. Every now and again his wife used to give him a poke and say "Aye you're doing not so bad for a dead man". LOL

Flavius Belisarius

I've been there! I got kicked off of subs because I might have more kidney stones and the sub couldn't always surface because I had a health problem. Ironically I haven't had any more kidney stone since after the submarine.
For me it was dehydration; (long periods in places with limited water. Also, living North Carolina didn't help. NC has highest percentage of Kidney Stones in the USA. Cheese, vanilla Ice cream, and ice tea didn't help either.

Captain Christian

Yeah, dehydration and soda. I was never a big soda drinker, maybe 1 soda a week if even that much, but they said the stuff in soda was one of the worst things that formed my kidney stones. I pretty much stopped drinking soda after the kidney stone.