• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

What's wrong with discussing "Conspiracy Theories"?

DeletedUser

When you consider that every evil thing accomplished by more than one person first required a "conspiracy", why is discussing "conspiracies" today considered such a horrible thing to do?

DeletedUser

Yes, a conspiracy is when two or more people get together and come up with a plan to do something evil or unlawful.

A conspiracy theory, however, is slightly different. That is when people try to attribute the conspiracy to a group with a hidden agenda, usually political. An example would be the theory that the Newtown shooting was a hoax perpetrated by the Obama administration to gain support for gun control measures.

It's the theories that we're not meant to discuss as they are generally completely hare-brained and usually volatile.

DeletedUser

Oh.. I see. So, as long as an evil conspiracy has already been proven (as in decades after the 3rd Reich was destroyed) then it's okay to discuss it. After all, what harm does it do to know about a conspiracy that took place decades ago? But theories about conspiracies that may be in the making, regardless of how how much evidence there is supporting them are not allowed to be discussed? I agree that some discussions about these matter may become volatile, because evil deeds tend to draw on the emotions. But, I totally disagree that they are "generally completely hare-brained". I do understand though why that's considered a legitimate argument against such discussions. Hitler tried to label those who refuse to comply with his plans as crazy too.

DeletedUser3364

1) Hanlon's Razor

2) Godwin's Law

That having Been Said:

3) Grey's Law

So Have At It....

DeletedUser

1. In this case I think it would better stated "“Never attribute to stupidity that which is owned by the evil in the hearts of men.”

2. Perhaps the reference is so often made because there are still men who think they can succeed where he failed.

DeletedUser3

Just to state, I have been participating in, and moderating, debate forums for decades (yes, decades), so I'm communicating from a point of experience. Conspiracy theories rarely produce anything other than a degradation of dedicated debate forums and encourages tin-foil hats to propagate in what would have otherwise been a logical, rational discussion forum. Conspiracy theories are invariably loaded with fallacious arguments and paltry research efforts. They are easily countered by people who use firm logic and valid facts, but the effort required is imbalanced and a waste of time. To argue a conspiracy theory, you merely need to pull something out of your butt. To invalidate such a theory, you must research the data and point to facts and evidence. This process results in "legitimate" debaters getting tired. Worse, no matter how much evidence is presented, the means to argue against a conspiracy theory is to prove a negative, which most reasoned persons know to be a fruitless endeavor.

Finally, conspiracy theories aren't really theories at all. They're just the grabbing of mostly unrelated issues and attempting to draw lines to connect those unrelated issues. And since we all know that cats rule the world, what's the point in debating?

DeletedUser

Just to state, I have been participating in, and moderating, debate forums for decades (yes, decades), so I'm communicating from a point of experience. Conspiracy theories rarely produce anything other than a degradation of dedicated debate forums and encourages tin-foil hats to propagate in what would have otherwise been a logical, rational discussion forum. Conspiracy theories are invariably loaded with fallacious arguments and paltry research efforts. They are easily countered by people who use firm logic and valid facts, but the effort required is imbalanced and a waste of time. To argue a conspiracy theory, you merely need to pull something out of your butt. To invalidate such a theory, you must research the data and point to facts and evidence. This process results in "legitimate" debaters getting tired. Worse, no matter how much evidence is presented, the means to argue against a conspiracy theory is to prove a negative, which most reasoned persons know to be a fruitless endeavor.

Finally, conspiracy theories aren't really theories at all. They're just the grabbing of mostly unrelated issues and attempting to draw lines to connect those unrelated issues. And since we all know that cats rule the world, what's the point in debating?

So much to agree with here, but the bolded part is what i agree with the most. In my years, (yes years!), lol, :p, of debunking these conspiracy theories, most people no matter what evidence or piece of empiricism that presented to them to either refute or cast a high degree of improbability, it will not allow the pushers of these theories to change their minds or positions. They don't handle logic very well, and they won't for the most part accept any logical argument that counters their 'evidence' or assertions.

The thread ultimately becomes entrenched warfare, where one side lobs bombs of mockery and facts against those defending their particular 'Alamo', who won't concede to anyone or anything, because they've invested too much at that point and come hell or logical high water, they're going down with their ship.....which was probably sunk due to a conspiracy. :)

DeletedUser

As a former Law Enforcement Officer/Investigator and veteran of the armed forces, all I have to say to this is so much for Rule #7 You must be more knowledgeable about all potential conspiracies than I could ever hope to be, so I bow to your expertise.

DeletedUser

so I bow to your expertise.

I would advocate never to bow to expertise in any field. Always question, research reputable published papers and if it's too difficult (which it is if they are experts in their field), keep an open mind unless it is a proven beyond all reasonable doubt and even then keep an open mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34

My only thing is we say that it is a load of poop, and yet so many things are in fact the product of Conspiracies, but not put out in the open, and the only way to figure them out is to have a conspiracy theory. There is irony in the fact that conspiracies are perfectly accepted, but the conspiracy theories are not.

DeletedUser

I just find it particularly odd that the very people that claim "most" conspiracy theorists use "fallacious arguments and paltry research efforts" and "rarely produce anything other than a degradation of dedicated debate forums" are the same people that have used those very same concepts to degrade this thread into nothing more than a forum for showing utter disrespect and contempt for anyone they may or may not agree with on any given issue regarding a conspiracy. And I didn't pull that outta my butt.:p

Now, with all this said.. since this is a "game" site, I guess it would be best to keep the discussions here at a level more suited for the "gaming community". Of course, that makes the whole idea of a "debate hall" worthless.. but, it's not my site. So, I will digress.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure what a level more suited to the gaming community would be, however, purely as an example, my contribution to the Debate Hall does lend me to the conclusion that there is a preponderance of butt reference in various forms and colloquial sayings and I could conclude, statistically, that the US server gamers have a butt fixation but that would be a fallacious argument and disrespectful.

DeletedUser2785

Could it be that the banning of the discussion of conspiracy theories, is in fact, it self a part of a cover-up by the Global gaming communities, to prevent their activities from coming to light. After all large conspiracies require that the bulk of the pop remain ignorant and distracted. ( nod, nod, nudge nudge, wink wink)

DeletedUser

Could it be that the banning of the discussion of conspiracy theories, is in fact, it self a part of a cover-up by the Global gaming communities, to prevent their activities from coming to light. After all large conspiracies require that the bulk of the pop remain ignorant and distracted. ( nod, nod, nudge nudge, wink wink)

I think we all know that the Global gaming community itself is a pawn in the greater effort of the New World Order to subject all of society to their whim by tracking their every movement and thought process. It is obvious that these strategy games are a way of determining how we would react in the real world and to follow our online usage and patterns. "( nod, nod, nudge nudge, wink wink)"