• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When building, prompt to build from Building Menu or Inventory

Prompt to construct from Building Menu or Inventory when item exists in both

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony 85 the Generous

Idea:
When selecting to build an item from the Building Menu and the item exists in the Inventory, provide a prompt to notify the player they have one in inventory and allow the player to select if they wish to build from the Building Menu or from Inventory.

Not on DNS. No similar ideas previously proposed noted.

Reason:
First. To notify the player they are constructing an item from the Building Menu and have one in inventory.

Second. Mistakes happen. It is possible to miss the item when looking (scrolling) through your inventory, or make a spelling error during the search resulting in not seeing/finding the item.

Details:
When selecting an item from the building menu, such as Arcade House or Country House (seen below)
1617114333402.png

and the same item exists in Inventory
1617114548243.png

provide a prompt that asking from where to construct the building. The prompt to have two buttons: Inventory and Building Menu.

This is not only a confirmation prompt but also provides the ability for the player to change the "source" of the building. Meaning that instead of just a warning which the player would close and then be required to access their Inventory, the "source" of the item is changed from the Building Menu to Inventory and their inventory count reduced appropriately.

The prompt would not appear for items in Inventory that do not appear on the Building Menu, nor for items on the Building Menu when there is none in the player's inventory.
The prompt would not appear when selecting items from Inventory that also exist in the Building Menu.

Visual Aids:
Prompt asking from which store would to construct 'item'; Inventory, Building Menu.

Balance:
Will not affect any other features.

Abuse Prevention:
No possibility for abuse.

Summary:
This idea would provide notification the item being constructed exists in both the Building Menu and in the player's Inventory, additionally providing the option from where to construct the building.

Edit: Removed prompting the player when constructing items from Inventory that are on the Building Menu. This idea contains only one condition for the one prompt.

Last edited:

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
You do know that if you search, that part of the word is already enough, so it is easy to prevent spelling mistakes?

I can not speak for other players, but all buildings in my inventory that are in the building menu as well go to the AD first chance.

Last thing I need is yet another prompt. There are already to many in the game.

Tony 85 the Generous

You do know that if you search, that part of the word is already enough, so it is easy to prevent spelling mistakes?
'Arcde house' did not return any results for me. Mistakes are called mistakes for a reason. If you don't realize you made a mistake and just see a blank screen then you think you have none of what you (think you) searched for.

I can not speak for other players, but all buildings in my inventory that are in the building menu as well go to the AD first chance.
Not for me. But I have been know to be thrifty. If the item is useful to complete a quest (daily, story, event or otherwise). The inventory items I got them for nothing so their use to complete a quest costs nothing, opposed to the building menu which costs coins and supplies. Past age items also on the building menu already went to the AD. (filtering inventory by age wouldn't be a half bad idea to add)

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
'Arcde house' did not return any results for me. Mistakes are called mistakes for a reason. If you don't realize you made a mistake and just see a blank screen then you think you have none of what you (think you) searched for.
House will return the results you need. Mistakes can be prevented by paying attention to what you do and or check what you did. We are already having way to many prompts and ways to help players that basically do not pay attention to what they do and just blindly click. Just look at the latest update.

Not for me. But I have been know to be thrifty. If the item is useful to complete a quest (daily, story, event or otherwise). The inventory items I got them for nothing so their use to complete a quest costs nothing, opposed to the building menu which costs coins and supplies. Past age items also on the building menu already went to the AD. (filtering inventory by age wouldn't be a half bad idea to add)
Item is more useful to sell in the AD. Plenty of coins and supplies. Easier to get than trade coins.

Tony 85 the Generous

House will return the results you need. Mistakes can be prevented by paying attention to what you do and or check what you did. We are already having way to many prompts and ways to help players that basically do not pay attention to what they do and just blindly click. Just look at the latest update.
That's why they are called mistakes. The prompt only applies to if the item is in both the Building Menu and Inventory. I would be open to only prompting if constructing from the Building Menu if the item exists in inventory (not prompting if constructing a Building Menu item from Inventory).
Item is more useful to sell in the AD. Plenty of coins and supplies. Easier to get than trade coins.
Agree it is easier to get coins and supplies than trade coins. As for having plenty of coins and supplies (especially coins), the number of coins required to buy fp for event quests is getting really high (for me; and I only buy them during events), and based on the number required per event is only going to keep climbing.

Graviton

Gotta agree with @Agent327, I don't think this issue is pervasive enough to warrant yet another confirmation popup, which is pretty much what this amounts to.

As for having plenty of coins and supplies (especially coins), the number of coins required to buy fp for event quests is getting really high (for me; and I only buy them during events), and based on the number required per event is only going to keep climbing.
That's a separate problem, remedied by not buying FPs outside of Events and Quests that can't be aborted.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
Agree it is easier to get coins and supplies than trade coins. As for having plenty of coins and supplies (especially coins), the number of coins required to buy fp for event quests is getting really high (for me; and I only buy them during events), and based on the number required per event is only going to keep climbing.
In that case your goal should be to get more coins. Not fix your problem with yet another prompt for everyone. Nobody is rushing you to take those quests. It does not hurt to double check your typing, or double check what is in your inventory.

You are making your problem Inno's problem.

Tony 85 the Generous

That's a separate problem, remedied by not buying FPs outside of Events and Quests that can't be aborted.
As for having plenty of coins and supplies (especially coins), the number of coins required to buy fp for event quests is getting really high (for me; and I only buy them during events), and based on the number required per event is only going to keep climbing.

Tony 85 the Generous

In that case your goal should be to get more coins. Not fix your problem with yet another prompt for everyone. Nobody is rushing you to take those quests. It does not hurt to double check your typing, or double check what is in your inventory.

You are making your problem Inno's problem.
We are getting off topic. The cost of the fp and use of AD is not a driver, effect, nor result of this idea. It is not my problem. It is not Inno's problem.

I will edit the idea to reduce to have the prompt only appear when constructing from the building menu also exists in inventory.

This is an idea to help everyone.

If a player does not like the idea, they can vote no.

If a player would like to be notified they are constructing an item from the building menu and have one (or more) in inventory, and in the same prompt the ability to select change it to be built from inventory instead of the building menu, they can vote yes.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Gotta join the chorus of naysayers here.
The cost of the fp and use of AD is not a driver, effect, nor result of this idea.
Actually, it is by your own admission:
But I have been know to be thrifty. If the item is useful to complete a quest (daily, story, event or otherwise). The inventory items I got them for nothing so their use to complete a quest costs nothing, opposed to the building menu which costs coins and supplies.
Your reason for wanting to use inventory items rather than from the Build menu is cost. Your justification for that reason is the cost of FP for event quests, which should not be an issue unless you have an underlying problem with coin production, especially if (as you say) you only buy FP for event quests. I have 27 cities ranging from Iron Age to SAM, and none of them have any issues buying the FP to fulfill the event quests. So the cost of FP is a driver for this idea, and use of the AD (or more precisely the non-use, since using the item from inventory means it can't be sold) is an effect.

Tony 85 the Generous

No it isn't. First and formost it is an idea to help you.
You are partially correct in that it would benefit me, why else would I have thought of the idea and posted it. Every idea ever listed has a benefit for its creator. But I am not the only one it would benefit.

It certainly is not an idea to help EVERYONE!
You are correct. It won't help everyone.

It will help some (most?) of the players, but not everyone (as in 100.00% of the players).

It will not help you (you don't have any building items in inventory and apparently don't make typos).

It will not help (hurt or bother) an player that does not have Building Menu items in their inventory.

It will help all of those that do have Building Menu items in their inventory, may have missed seeing an item list in the inventory, and make the occassional typo, which includes myself.

If players choose to play by selling off all the buildings items and using the Building Menu during quests, that is how they choose to play the game. I do not have access to statistics on how many players with access to the AD have building menu items in their inventory. These are the players that are impacted by this idea.

If a player would like to be notified they are constructing an item from the building menu and have one (or more) in inventory, and in the same prompt the ability to select change it to be built from inventory instead of the building menu, they can vote yes.

Agent327

FOE Team
Forum Moderator
Every idea ever listed has a benefit for its creator.
Really good ideas have a benefit for everyone, not just the creator.

It will not help you (you don't have any building items in inventory and apparently don't make typos).
Bit of a sad comment. Ofcourse I have plenty of items in my building inventory and I do make typos. I just do not mind to check again and I do not need Inno to help me with this. I am not a kid that needs to have his hand held on every part of the game. I take my own responsibilities. If I buy a building when I also have one in my inventory, my mistake. Need to pay better attention next time.

Yes they can, except when they do you seem to have a big problem with it.

I voted no and gave my reasons for it. Beats me why you want to discuss this to death with me.

Graviton

It will help all of those that do have Building Menu items in their inventory, may have missed seeing an item list in the inventory, and make the occassional typo, which includes myself.
Always look for the root cause. The problem isn't that one constructs a bldg that's already in one's inventory, that's a symptom of a bigger problem. The true issue that this would address is not having sufficient coins and/or supplies. For most every player who is no longer in, say, Iron Age, and who isn't rushing the tech tree, coins and supplies are more than plentiful enough to absorb a mistake like this.

So the questions become:
1) How many players are in that situation?
2) Is that a significant enough number to warrant the expenditure of time and programming resources to add another confirmation popup to everyone's game, which will only help those who have run themselves so short of coins and supplies they can't afford to build an 'extra' building?
3) How many players do it repeatedly?

I can't answer those questions, only Inno knows. My guess is that it's not a big enough deal to worry about, especially considering the remedy is already in a player's hands.

Last edited:

Tony 85 the Generous

Gotta join the chorus of naysayers here.
That's what the poll if for. Thank you for voting.

Your reason for wanting to use inventory items rather than from the Build menu is cost.
True. Why not? Inventory items cost nothing to build (they likely cost something to obtain and be placed in your inventory) unlike items from the Building Menu which cost coins and supplies at the time they are constructed.

The cost of the fp and use of AD is not a driver, effect, nor result of this idea.
Actually, it is by your own admission:
But I have been know to be thrifty. If the item is useful to complete a quest (daily, story, event or otherwise). The inventory items I got them for nothing so their use to complete a quest costs nothing, opposed to the building menu which costs coins and supplies.
Your justification for that reason is the cost of FP for event quests, which should not be an issue unless you have an underlying problem with coin production, especially if (as you say) you only buy FP for event quests.
There is context missing in your response, but I do see the points you have connected (albeit some incorrectly) and some assumptions that have been made.

The reasons posted are the reasons I initially noted when drafting the idea; (1) notify the player they are constructing a building from the Building Menu when they have one in inventory because (2) mistakes happen when browsing the inventory list. I did not see any other reasons or benefits at the time.

Your response @Johnny B. Goode have led to the development of the secondary benefit of the prompt, which would help a player to save their coins for the purchase of fp to complete quests as required. Although this is not a reason I had not originally realized, I can see how "you have added it" and I can agree with it.

Tony 85 the Generous

Always look for the root cause.
The root cause and source of the idea was a typo. It is that simple.
The problem isn't that one constructs a bldg that's already in one's inventory, that's a symptom of a bigger problem. The true issue that this would address is not having sufficient coins and/or supplies. For most every player who is no longer in, say, Iron Age, and who isn't rushing the tech tree, coins and supplies are more than plentiful enough to absorb a mistake like this.
The genesis for the idea has (had) nothing to do with expending or saving coins. The goal of the idea is simply to alert a player they missed the fact they are constructing an item from the Building Menu. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Would it help conserve a player's coins and supplies? Yes. The responses have brought this to light...after the fact.

Algona

Tony, kudos for an original Proposa, err, I mean, Idea. Always nice to see folk thinking fresh thoughts.

Reading the discussion I had a flashback to a very old Simpsons where someone kept yelling, "Won't someone please think of the children."

New cities and players who can;t have AD might find this a useful addition.

Really good ideas have a benefit for everyone, not just the creator.
Agreed 100%.

This idea exactly meets that definition.

I reckon if this Idea had been around since the start of the game it could have helped everyone.

When they were just starting out.

Especially those of us who started playing when Coin and Supply Management were problems that took weeks and months to resolve.

Fishercat.

I like the idea.

Suggested modification: add the ability to opt out of receiving the notification, as you can opt out of confirmations for diamond use, GB donations, etc. That might assuage the folks who dislike the idea because they wouldn't find it helpful, and don't want to have to deal with repeated useless reminders.

Johnny B. Goode

There is context missing in your response, but I do see the points you have connected (albeit some incorrectly) and some assumptions that have been made.
Nothing I connected was done so incorrectly, and if you think so be specific. I made no assumptions. You stated yourself that cost was the determining factor because you spent most of your coins on FPs to fulfill event quests. That is a you problem, not a game problem. I have 21 Iron Age cities, and in every one of them I have bought the FPs to fulfill the 5 and 7 FP event quests. I have also built and deleted buildings to fulfill the residential, production, and cultural buildings plus the decorations building quests. All from the build menu. All of these cities moved up from Bronze Age during the St Patrick's Day Event, so they are pretty new to Iron Age. In buying the FPs and in building (and then immediately selling) the buildings, I have not even considered using inventory items, as I am saving them to sell when I get to EMA and the AD. I have also not concerned myself with considering the coin/supply cost for these buildings, because I have plenty of both for whatever I need. I also build and delete a military building every time I get a quest to add to total population. If I can do that in 21 cities, surely you should be able to do it in one or two. (Unless you've listened to the idiots who tell you not to build the ToB and/or not to level the Oracle to 10. The ToB along with a couple of event buildings allows you to forgo goods buildings and the attendant coin/supply cost of goods, and the Oracle along with a couple of event buildings whose byproduct is a bit of Happiness allows you to avoid having to use cultural buildings or decos.)
The genesis for the idea has (had) nothing to do with expending or saving coins.
That directly contradicts what you've said.
Your response @Johnny B. Goode have led to the development of the secondary benefit of the prompt, which would help a player to save their coins for the purchase of fp to complete quests as required. Although this is not a reason I had not originally realized, I can see how "you have added it" and I can agree with it.
I did not "add it", you were the one who stated that your reason was because you had used up your coins buying FPs for event quests. Nice try, though.
Agreed 100%.

This idea exactly meets that definition.

I reckon if this Idea had been around since the start of the game it could have helped everyone.

When they were just starting out.

Especially those of us who started playing when Coin and Supply Management were problems that took weeks and months to resolve.
Disagree 100%. How long has it been since you started a new city? I have started new cities at least every few months since I started playing 6 years ago. The days of worrying about coins or supplies past the first week are long gone unless someone completely and totally doesn't understand the game. I can see how you would not realize that if you haven't started a city in a while, but the game at the beginning is miles away from what it was when we first started playing. Not to mention that we did not have the AD back then, which means that this idea's time was actually back then and not now. Meaning that back then the only use for Build menu buildings in your inventory was to build for use or build to sell, there was no other option. Now there is a better option. You barter them in the AD to enable you to buy buildings and items that are more useful for your city. That is so much a better option than building them to sell in order to save a few coins and/or supplies that I can't believe someone as well versed in this game as you would think this was a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.