• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When building, prompt to build from Building Menu or Inventory

Prompt to construct from Building Menu or Inventory when item exists in both

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony 85 the Generous

Nothing I connected was done so incorrectly, and if you think so be specific. I made no assumptions. You stated yourself that cost was the determining factor because you spent most of your coins on FPs to fulfill event quests. That is a you problem, not a game problem.
Made no assumptions? Then what do you call
you were the one who stated that your reason was because you had used up your coins buying FPs for event quests.
This must be an assumption, because I do not see where I said "I had used up my coins buying fp".
Nice try, though.
What I did say was
Agree it is easier to get coins and supplies than trade coins. As for having plenty of coins and supplies (especially coins), the number of coins required to buy fp for event quests is getting really high (for me; and I only buy them during events), and based on the number required per event is only going to keep climbing.
which was a regards to the statement
Item is more useful to sell in the AD. Plenty of coins and supplies. Easier to get than trade coins.
That directly contradicts what you've said.
because you have made assumptions and taken the replies out of context. The reasons are though stated in the original post. Though I do agree that saving coins and supplies could be considered a benefit of this idea, it was not realized during the conception of the idea. Notice the first time coins was in the third post (a reply to the second post) and not in the idea. Furthermore there is no mention of me not having enough coins in any city I have or have started.
Disagree 100%. How long has it been since you started a new city? I have started new cities at least every few months since I started playing 6 years ago. The days of worrying about coins or supplies past the first week are long gone unless someone completely and totally doesn't understand the game. I can see how you would not realize that if you haven't started a city in a while, but the game at the beginning is miles away from what it was when we first started playing. Not to mention that we did not have the AD back then, which means that this idea's time was actually back then and not now. Meaning that back then the only use for Build menu buildings in your inventory was to build for use or build to sell, there was no other option. Now there is a better option. You barter them in the AD to enable you to buy buildings and items that are more useful for your city. That is so much a better option than building them to sell in order to save a few coins and/or supplies that I can't believe someone as well versed in this game as you would think this was a good idea.
I have started an abandoned many cities over the past 4 years. It is only in the past 2 years that I have decided to keep a city. I still start and abandon cities to try actually put the rubber on the road on different strategies and variations of strategies. Talk is cheap and ideas on paper are just that. Trying and testing an idea is where you see how it really affects the game. Just recently I started a city just to see what it took build an arc as the first (technical third, after Oracle and Zeus) great building and bring it to level 80.

I will now state for the first time in this thread, I do not and have never had a problem with coins or supplies in any city.

Tony 85 the Generous

I like the idea.

Suggested modification: add the ability to opt out of receiving the notification, as you can opt out of confirmations for diamond use, GB donations, etc. That might assuage the folks who dislike the idea because they wouldn't find it helpful, and don't want to have to deal with repeated useless reminders.
Keep in mind this prompt only appears when selecting an item to construct from the Building Menu when you have that item in inventory. It should appear fairly infrequently. Should we wait an see if they add the ability to control (turn back on) the reminders for the items you mention from the in-game settings panel first (previously posted idea)?

Johnny B. Goode

The reasons are though stated in the original post. Though I do agree that saving coins and supplies could be considered a benefit of this idea, it was not realized during the conception of the idea. Notice the first time coins was in the third post (a reply to the second post) and not in the idea.
Yeah, well your OP has been edited, so impossible to know what was originally in it. Reading it now there are a few things that seem to have changed about it. Never a good idea to edit an Idea (Proposal) after people have already started voting on it and discussing it. Speaking of the OP, I notice it now says that the prompt will not only notify you that you have the building in Inventory, but it will switch to using that building from Inventory. That is an awful idea. If you want to prioritize using Inventory buildings instead of buildings from the Build menu, that's up to you, but don't force it on the rest of us. Why should we then be forced to find a workaround to the solution to your problem?

Emberguard

This is an idea to help everyone.
Ok. In that case I'd like to point out this way of implementing building from inventory would never help me. When I first started playing I already didn't like the amount of popups in the game. If one appeared every time I try to build anything I would have never stuck around past the tutorial

If the game made it so only Locked items were automatically used instead of resources -AND- there was no popup, then I'd find it useful. This would need to be reflected in the building costs when you click on a building on the menu (game already adjusts the costs displayed based on boosts active). That way you could control whether a item was used via the Lock button in inventory

Fishercat.

Keep in mind this prompt only appears when selecting an item to construct from the Building Menu when you have that item in inventory. It should appear fairly infrequently. Should we wait an see if they add the ability to control (turn back on) the reminders for the items you mention from the in-game settings panel first (previously posted idea)?
Yup. I know that as you envisioned it, the prompt should appear infrequently. I don't have a problem with the expected frequency. Others do, apparently. The in-game settings panel already allows players to control those reminders. At least, it does in the browser. Does it not for the app?

Emberguard

I will now state for the first time in this thread, I do not and have never had a problem with coins or supplies in any city.
Ok, curious that your replies to the thread state the coins cost was getting really high for you. If it's not a problem, then surely it's not actually that high?
As for having plenty of coins and supplies (especially coins), the number of coins required to buy fp for event quests is getting really high (for me; and I only buy them during events), and based on the number required per event is only going to keep climbing.

Fishercat.

No, it'd appear every time I do Guild Expedition or an Event and then need to build something. In other words, sometimes it'd be appearing on a daily basis because I'd be topping up my inventory with new buildings constantly. At a bare minimum the majority would be replacing their inventory on a weekly basis
Genuine question, not rhetorical challenge: Do you really sometimes get and need to build current age buildings on a daily basis? I ask because I both seem to get far more special buildings (Face of the Ancient, etc.) than ordinary ones in GE, and typically only need to build current age buildings a few times during each event. I don't think I've ever seen an event require me to plant one of the buildings I get more of.

Graviton

The in-game settings panel already allows players to control those reminders. At least, it does in the browser. Does it not for the app?
I've said before that if one needs to propose an off switch, that tends to undermine the efficacy of one's idea. Popups, at least initially, were for truly impactful things like spending diamonds. Forgetting you have a building in your inventory ain't impactful, unless...see below.

The reasons are though stated in the original post. Though I do agree that saving coins and supplies could be considered a benefit of this idea, it was not realized during the conception of the idea. Notice the first time coins was in the third post (a reply to the second post) and not in the idea. Furthermore there is no mention of me not having enough coins in any city I have or have started.
Okay, I was not going to reply again but you keep repeating this. You're now essentially saying there is no reason for this. The only consequence of paying to construct a building that's already in your inventory is that you're spending coins and supplies you wouldn't have to spend. If you can afford to lose some coins and supplies, this proposal is useless.

Emberguard

Genuine question, not rhetorical challenge: Do you really sometimes get and need to build current age buildings on a daily basis?
Sometimes yes, particularly when there's a event going on and I'm not doing the quests in a single day as there's "Build X building" quests. Then there's Story, Side, and Bonus quests that require building a certain building. There's also Recurring Quests for collecting supplies/coins and Daily Challenges that sometimes result in me building current age buildings.

Others do, apparently. The in-game settings panel already allows players to control those reminders. At least, it does in the browser. Does it not for the app?
I'm basing the discussion on the assumption of how it'd effect my gameplay if I kept the popup up. There's no point in implementing it if no one's going to use it. It also takes you out of the immersion of a game to have to go through a bunch of popups to turn them off, which would impact new players the most

Last edited:

Tony 85 the Generous

Yeah, well your OP has been edited, so impossible to know what was originally in it. Reading it now there are a few things that seem to have changed about it.
I suppose one could read the comment added at the bottom of the idea to see what was changed. I included the statement for this specific reason, additionally there is reply referencing the edit based on the feedback received to that point.
Speaking of the OP, I notice it now says that the prompt will not only notify you that you have the building in Inventory, but it will switch to using that building from Inventory. That is an awful idea. If you want to prioritize using Inventory buildings instead of buildings from the Build menu, that's up to you, but don't force it on the rest of us. Why should we then be forced to find a workaround to the solution to your problem?
I would like to highlight the following from the details section:
When selecting an item from the building menu ... and the same item exists in Inventory provide a prompt that asking from where to construct the building. The prompt to have two buttons: Inventory and Building Menu.
This is not only a confirmation prompt but also provides the ability for the player to change the "source" of the building. Meaning that instead of just a warning which the player would close and then be required to access their Inventory, the "source" of the item is changed from the Building Menu to Inventory and their inventory count reduced appropriately.
The prompt would not appear for items in Inventory that do not appear on the Building Menu, nor for items on the Building Menu when there is none in the player's inventory.
The prompt would not appear when selecting items from Inventory that also exist in the Building Menu.
The change is NOT automatic. The player is provided notification and the option to select from inventory or to continue from the building menu.

P.S. I would never suggest it be automatic. *shivers*

Tony 85 the Generous

If the game made it so only Locked items were automatically used instead of resources -AND- there was no popup, then I'd find it useful. That way you could control whether a item was used via the Lock button in inventory
Can you expand on this suggestion? It was my understanding that locking items prevented you from selling them in the AD. Are you suggesting that locked inventory items that also exist in the building menu should be automatically selected from inventory when selecting one from the building menu?

If that is correct, I could agree with the locked item as the trigger but I see two problems. (1) I would not want it to automatically change it for me, and (2) I would not want to have to lock all building menu items in my inventory for them to be automically selected (which kind of goes against the whole locking thing in a way).

Tony 85 the Generous

I'd like to explore this statement further:
This would need to be reflected in the building costs when you click on a building on the menu (game already adjusts the costs displayed based on boosts active).
What if the building info popup from the building menu
1617233835896.png

Included a banner at the bottom that noted in red letters "Item also in Inventory"

What would you all think of this? No popup but you receive (see) a notification while browsing the Building Menu that you have one or more of those in inventory.

Johnny B. Goode

What if the building info popup from the building menu
1617233835896.png

Included a banner at the bottom that noted in red letters "Item also in Inventory"

What would you all think of this? No popup but you receive (see) a notification while browsing the Building Menu that you have one or more of those in inventory.
I would not have a problem with that. That I could ignore.

Emberguard

That as an idea on its own would be fine. You'd have my vote for that if posted as its own thing.

Also it's simple. Which makes it far more likely to be implemented then if we went with any other variation of the idea because the other versions are more complicated

Emberguard

Can you expand on this suggestion? It was my understanding that locking items prevented you from selling them in the AD. Are you suggesting that locked inventory items that also exist in the building menu should be automatically selected from inventory when selecting one from the building menu?
Well yes.

The lock is there to prevent it from being sold to the Antiques Dealer. The only reason to lock an item is if you intend to use it. Therefore I think it'd make sense for it to be:
Locked = Build menu automatically takes building from inventory if available (cannot be sold to Antiques if locked)
Unlocked = Antiques Dealer can sell the item (cannot be taken from build menu if unlocked)

I would advise against putting that forward as an idea though if you intend to go with the banner at the bottom of the construction costs stating "X in inventory" or whatever, as text added at the bottom of the construction costs is far more likely to be looked upon favourably by the developers due to its simplicity

Tony 85 the Generous

Well yes.

The lock is there to prevent it from being sold to the Antiques Dealer. The only reason to lock an item is if you intend to use it. Therefore I think it'd make sense for it to be:
Locked = Build menu automatically takes building from inventory if available (cannot be sold to Antiques if locked)
Unlocked = Antiques Dealer can sell the item (cannot be taken from build menu if unlocked)
Unfortunately, I would not propose (or vote) the idea with 'automatically' as part of the concept.

DevaCat

Voted no. I do not want another notification which I must dismiss. Try again. A rewrite for a simple (passive) notification might pass muster.

Edit: by rewrite I mean drop this idea completely and introduce a new one. Trying to edit this one carries too much baggage imo.

Tony 85 the Generous

Voted no. I do not want another notification which I must dismiss. Try again. A rewrite for a simple (passive) notification might pass muster.
Honest question for you. How often do you build something from the Building Menu when you have that item in your inventory?

DevaCat

Honest question for you. How often do you build something from the Building Menu when you have that item in your inventory?
Honest answer: I don't care or worry about it. If an event quest requires build x buildings I usually just build them -- faster for me than rooting around in inventory. Eventually I get around to selling or otherwise using inventory items. It's a non issue. I have not been concerned with the costs since early-mid Bronze Age in any of my cities.

When I was concerned with costs, you can be sure I was quite aware of what I had in inventory that I could use to defray costs. I'm not special; I'm sure young players today can do the same -- without any nanny prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.