• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When can we stop pretending GBG is balanced?

Agent327

Well...let me put it to you another way. I see 40 man guilds and 20 man guilds in the same GBG season. All other things equal, If only 10 people from each guild competes, then it is even. BUT if 25% of each guild participates, then the smaller guild is effectively eliminated. Competing is impossible, again assuming all other factors are equal. And I want to stress that point. B/c we are talking about specifics on what is a problem for even competition.

What you fail to take into account is that both guilds made it there based on their achievements. So regardless of their size, they basically achieved the same.

DeletedUser

I help run GbG in my guild , 7 members dedicated during a season, Threads set up for the management of GbG , a battle thread , a bridge thread to any allied guild(s). Recruitment drives , 24/7 support for our members during the season , thousands of goods pouring into the treasury per day to feed the sieges, leaders putting thousands of their own personal goods in the treasury to keep it running , Arc programs to get the juniors up to speed , Traz give aways , rewards programs for GbG efforts of the junior players , strategy meetings with the GbG leaders. Constant streams of advice posted to help people succeed in growing their attack strength , Inno pouring out attack buildings event after event. How about you just get off your butt and work as hard as the larger guilds or just stay in gold and quit your bellyaching. Inno loves seeing real work going into making a guild's experience better and done by the guilds themselves , it's called engaged game play.

Solution: Guild attrition. The longer a guild is in diamond the more guild attrition it has. Guild attrition would be something that applies to the entire guild and is unavoidable. Possibilities could be an advantage to their sectors being taken by other guilds, or a disadvantage to taking other guilds’ sectors. Or something else like a chance that an attacked sector gets locked instead of taken over. Or that a guild with high guild attrition gets has to wait longer for a lockout timer to expire. Something. Anything.

They just need to change the addition of the seiges / traps to be multiplicative instead of additive. A lot should improve then. Small changes not some massive overhaul needed. Rest seems to be in line what Inno wants and a lot of active players want.

Wildelk68

In my opinion GBG was a flawed concept to start with and in typical INNO fashion rushed into play! Its not a feature many wanted to beini with but was forced upon us. As a guild leader I talk with many other leaders and most are not happy with the concept but play simply for the individual rewards! Now I understand INNO wants to force the new PVP concept on us a concept that has already been overwhelmingly rejected by players! All of the so called "im[rovements have made this game much too busy and gotten away from its original concept! Instead of new settlements, new PVP, new message systems. etc, How about working on the new ERA Space Age Venus which has been promised for months now! GvG still remains the only real competition between guilds rather than a player versus AI!

Agent327

How about working on the new ERA Space Age Venus which has been promised for months now!

Where has it been promissed for months????

Only thing mentioned is that it will be the next era. Time between SAM and SAAB was 11 months. SAAB has been around now for 7 months.

Kranyar the Mysterious

They just need to change the addition of the seiges / traps to be multiplicative instead of additive. A lot should improve then. Small changes not some massive overhaul needed. Rest seems to be in line what Inno wants and a lot of active players want.
Or they can reduce the number of slots for building like they just recently did. Now it is much harder to get 5 camps affecting a given sector, more often only 3 or 4 are possible now.

Of course this doesn't really affect the top players who have over 1500 attack too much, just those who tend to attrition out quicker at a lower value because of lower attack/attk def values or a glass ceiling.

Tony 85 the Generous

Is anyone else noticing a lot of guilds trying NOT to advance? I have met several guilds fighting to be in the middle ot bottom of the finishing order. Why? Because of the alliance of bullying that is happening within those guilds that have achieved and stay at 1000LP. I would love for Inno to figure out a way to break up or prevent alliances as it totally discourages trying to do well and advance to the top of GBG.

Savvy187

They need a league between plat and diamond. The difference between the 2 now is like going from a peewee league to the pros, makes NO sense. Unless Inno is actively trying to disenfranchise it's player base, then it makes a lot of sense.

Kranyar the Mysterious

They need a league between plat and diamond. The difference between the 2 now is like going from a peewee league to the pros, makes NO sense. Unless Inno is actively trying to disenfranchise it's player base, then it makes a lot of sense.
Another league layer would just push the issue forward a small bit, and wouldn't change anything. Eventually every guild that actively participates will find themselves either in Diamond league permanently or bouncing between Platinum and Diamond.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Honestly, I think if any change is done that Diamond league should require a flat 1000 points to be in, and if you lose any points you are out. Wouldn't solve everything, but would make things a bit tighter at the top.

I haven't been a fan of the reduced number of building spots since it appears to make it harder for guilds to get off the rim if they get stuck there, making the center even more under the control of the top 2 guilds than it was before. This change only made things harder for lower level players and guilds. It hasn't changed much for all the top players in SAAB with 1500 attack. If every rim sector had more building slots, and the center ones had less as you move in, that might make competition tighter too.

Savvy187

Another league layer would just push the issue forward a small bit, and wouldn't change anything. Eventually every guild that actively participates will find themselves either in Diamond league permanently or bouncing between Platinum and Diamond.
Given the way they have implemented the current system, I have to agree. Every time we get to diamond it s basically 5+ guilds watching 2 guilds dominate, lol. Not sure how that benefits anyone.

Tony 85 the Generous

Honestly, I think if any change is done that Diamond league should require a flat 1000 points to be in, and if you lose any points you are out. Wouldn't solve everything, but would make things a bit tighter at the top.
The past fews seasons I have been watching and doing some math. The rewards per spot are even increments of 25. Diamond league is only 100 points wide and the bottom two spots are -100 and -125. Either the point range for the league is too narrow, or the points per finishing position are to far apart and too high. Reducing to 10 points per position would take a few seasons before a guild could progress from one league to the next. Thus allowing those guilds that do well season after season to advance and not punish a guild that has one bad season (or is allied against and forced into the bottom two finishing positions).

Furthermore, I have noticed, as previously stated, there are guilds that band together and end up staying at 1000LP. My guild is in it's second season at 925LP and the difference in attitude and game play when compared to those (bullies) at 1000LP is huge. The make up of selecting the guilds per battlefield in diamond have some selection process based on LP and has an inherient division in diamond. If we could stay at 925LP GBG would be great.

Emberguard

While that’d visually look like something changed (less diamond guilds) I’m not sure if that’d actually change who goes up against who. All guilds at 1,000 LP are already put on the same islands as other 1,000 LP guilds. It’s only if there’s not enough to fill a island that those below 1,000 are put on the same island as a 1,000 LP guild

Kranyar the Mysterious

Furthermore, I have noticed, as previously stated, there are guilds that band together and end up staying at 1000LP. My guild is in it's second season at 925LP and the difference in attitude and game play when compared to those (bullies) at 1000LP is huge. The make up of selecting the guilds per battlefield in diamond have some selection process based on LP and has an inherient division in diamond. If we could stay at 925LP GBG would be great.
It is that bully mindset that has you seeing things wrong. There isn't near as much banding together as you believe. There are probably cases of it in Diamond league, but not much in the grand scheme of things. Most alliances end up being unspoken informal things based on more than one guild disliking one of the other guilds for whatever reason, and ganging up on them.

On any given world there is usually one guild that is flat out better than all the others, and in most cases they will always prevail.

Then there are a couple of more guilds that can almost match them.

Next there are some guilds that can pretty much destroy anyone that isn't in the two above groups, but will consistently lose to those first two groups.

Then there are all the rest. Some better, some worse, and their performance likely varies greatly from week to week. They don't have the power to compete against the top 3 groups, and are going to find themselves locked out and picking up scraps every time they run up against one of the stronger guilds.

Everyone playing just wants to get in as many battles as they can. Since those top guilds are always gong to dominate, if you get only two of them in a season they are going to end up being the ones trading back and forth, and everyone else is left looking for scraps. There is no alliance needed. The only likely agreement between them is to leave camps up and not trap, and that is simply so everyone doesn't have to spend as many diamonds to build camps all the time, not because of some desire to lock everyone else out. In those seasons, the strong prevail. Since most of the top fighters have ended up migrating to a handful of guilds, it shouldn't surprise anyone that guilds lacking those top fighters are going to come up severely short. Having one or two top fighters might be enough to get you into Diamond league, but it isn't likely enough to keep you there or keep you competitive.

If you get more than two strong guilds from the first 3 groups, then there is either a lot of battling going on, or else 2 still dominate. If you get one strong guild and 7 really weak ones (comparatively), then the strong guild is going to wipe the map, then wait, and wait, and wait hoping that one of the other guilds takes a sector or two so they can get some more battles in. Again, scraps

I guess every weak guild hopes for 7 other weak guilds that they can go up against, but that doesn't often happen, so the weakest guilds get sent back down to Platinum after a season of doing almost nothing. Or, as appears to be the case more often, actually try to lose to get out of diamond.

In the meantime it is always going to be two, maybe 3 guilds at most winning the vast majority of the battles, and hence provinces. Everyone else is just so much background noise. Doesn't mean they are plotting to keep you downtrodden or trying to bully you. You simply don't have what it takes to compete.

Kranyar the Mysterious

While that’d visually look like something changed (less diamond guilds) I’m not sure if that’d actually change who goes up against who. All guilds at 1,000 LP are already put on the same islands as other 1,000 LP guilds. It’s only if there’s not enough to fill a island that those below 1,000 are put on the same island as a 1,000 LP guild
It wouldn't change the match-ups, but would eventually shrink Diamond back down to a handful of the best guilds eventually. The top Platinum guilds would always get promoted for at least a week, and with less Diamond guilds there would be more Platinum guilds and therefore more sets of match-ups in Platinum

Probably not the best method, but it is the easiest one I can think of to limit the exposure of lower guilds that can't compete to the top ones that blow them away, I'm not even sure that there really is a best method that can be implemented that wouldn't end up being simply a rehash of the same guilds matched together over and over, season after season, with changes occurring only as top players move guilds and the balance of power shifts that way.

Limiting Diamond league matchups to less guilds, maybe 4 might also help, I'm not sure. Just thoughts rolling around in my noggin.

Savvy187

It is that bully mindset that has you seeing things wrong. There isn't near as much banding together as you believe. There are probably cases of it in Diamond league, but not much in the grand scheme of things. Most alliances end up being unspoken informal things based on more than one guild disliking one of the other guilds for whatever reason, and ganging up on them.

On any given world there is usually one guild that is flat out better than all the others, and in most cases they will always prevail.

Then there are a couple of more guilds that can almost match them.

Next there are some guilds that can pretty much destroy anyone that isn't in the two above groups, but will consistently lose to those first two groups.

Then there are all the rest. Some better, some worse, and their performance likely varies greatly from week to week. They don't have the power to compete against the top 3 groups, and are going to find themselves locked out and picking up scraps every time they run up against one of the stronger guilds.

Everyone playing just wants to get in as many battles as they can. Since those top guilds are always gong to dominate, if you get only two of them in a season they are going to end up being the ones trading back and forth, and everyone else is left looking for scraps. There is no alliance needed. The only likely agreement between them is to leave camps up and not trap, and that is simply so everyone doesn't have to spend as many diamonds to build camps all the time, not because of some desire to lock everyone else out. In those seasons, the strong prevail. Since most of the top fighters have ended up migrating to a handful of guilds, it shouldn't surprise anyone that guilds lacking those top fighters are going to come up severely short. Having one or two top fighters might be enough to get you into Diamond league, but it isn't likely enough to keep you there or keep you competitive.

If you get more than two strong guilds from the first 3 groups, then there is either a lot of battling going on, or else 2 still dominate. If you get one strong guild and 7 really weak ones (comparatively), then the strong guild is going to wipe the map, then wait, and wait, and wait hoping that one of the other guilds takes a sector or two so they can get some more battles in. Again, scraps

I guess every weak guild hopes for 7 other weak guilds that they can go up against, but that doesn't often happen, so the weakest guilds get sent back down to Platinum after a season of doing almost nothing. Or, as appears to be the case more often, actually try to lose to get out of diamond.

In the meantime it is always going to be two, maybe 3 guilds at most winning the vast majority of the battles, and hence provinces. Everyone else is just so much background noise. Doesn't mean they are plotting to keep you downtrodden or trying to bully you. You simply don't have what it takes to compete.
This is very true, we do not come close to having what it takes to compete in DL, which begs the question, why are we put in a BG we have absolutely 0 chance of competing in? How does having far less powerful guilds stuck in DL with nothing to do for 2 weeks benefit Inno? It's my understanding that game companies want as many people looking at their product as they can get, and a 2 week vacation every month would seem at odds with that. Every time we have been in DL, it is 2 guilds get to play and the other 5 go find something else to do. That is a lot of players with little to do in your game going elsewhere for half of every month.