• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When can we stop pretending GBG is balanced?

doggonebad

I love the idea of HQ on 3rd row. It would twist up gbg. I dont worry that a major change in how GBG is done would ruin gbg for all. GVG has changed a lot since FOE started. I remember no auto battle. Major change yet the game lives on.

King DoGz

Its time to change the upper level of Battlegrounds. When a guild can come in and take over a whole map before most guilds even get one sector done, there is a gigantic gap in fairness of play. There are many guilds that are between diamond and the level below. They are to strong to stay down and not strong enough to stay up against guilds that have multiple high level players. The upper guilds then deem who wins and who looses and that just isn't right. They need to be in competition against high end guilds from other worlds rather than just the world they are in. There should be a Titanium level for those top 5 guilds in each world that they all go at each other.
Additionally, while there is a 4 hour lock window once you take a sector in diamond, there should be a 1 hour timer once the sector unlocks again that it gets taken. If not taken again by the time the hour ends, the sector diverts back to an untaken sector. To many of these big teams are just crushing everyone on the map by setting up sectors to pin guilds and then swapping those sectors to trap them with another guild while they take their time taking and utilizing the rest of the map. This way sectors will open up to more guilds and not make it an all 2 guild map.. and offer options for guilds to take advantage of holes that show up. It adds a challenge that makes it so all guilds can fight and battle.
The only other option is to set sector limits. The larger guilds will have to fight for the most expensive sectors. The way to win on points is to find the more expensive sectors and find ways to maintain. This makes it so that 1 or 2 guilds can't run a whole map.

None the less, my 2 cents, but changes need to happen so that it allows for less consolidation of power on a Battle grounds map.

Thank You for Your Time and Attention

Xenosaur

Note: This (and a few other posts..) were moved here, so this was ( in the original topic...) and still is a reply to KING DOGZ post, directly above.

It wouldn't be called BATTLEGROUNDS if some or all of your ideas were implemented. It would be called Guild Fairgrounds. The design is... the design. Strategic friction is a part of it's DNA from day 1 (the day Battlegrounds was born in November 2019). That can be alleviated, or exacerbated and exploited. There are smart people here, and a guild team of accomplished game players can easily design, then plan, then execute a season that starts and winds up as you called out.

Like sharpening a knife, these same strategies are honed over and over again; by guild, that every season, want to dominate the season as such. This attracts more interest for people that want to play as a part of this juggernaut design.

GbG is all about the Benjamins (personal rewards). There are tons of strategies to participate, as an individual, or as part of a guild strategy. Find a guild that plays like you want, and join them.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

It's clear the OP does not know what's really going on in Diamond League. That weak guilds get trapped is a consequence of the game at play, not the goal. Laughable how his suggestions would impact the game at play, while having no impact on the game he thinks is being played.

Sharmon the Impaler

Extra hour after the lock ? I don’t think so. What happens if the two controlling the board open those up to 1 other friendly guild and then they take it ? What will be next, giving the weaker guilds the sectors while we sit and wait for a 12 hour timer to expire. Learn how to play the game and work your way into a strong guild or stop complaining like the grasshopper in the grasshopper and the ant story.

Tony 85 the Generous

Additionally, while there is a 4 hour lock window once you take a sector in diamond, there should be a 1 hour timer once the sector unlocks again that it gets taken. If not taken again by the time the hour ends, the sector diverts back to an untaken sector.
You want to force every sector to be locked 80% of the time (4 hours out of 5)? I'm not sure what issue this is trying to address? The top diamond guilds would be happy to swap and lock sectors within an hour after they unlock (most already do). I only see this as further disadvantaging the platinum-diamond ping-pong guilds and the guilds in lower diamond. It in no way provides a more even match up between guilds on the map.

Ebeondi Asi

All these notions are to stop strong Guilds and hand weak Guilds an advantage. The way I see it though, the strong Guilds will quickly figure out how to game it again and they will dominate the map anyway. Period. That is because they are smart, strong, and can figure stuff out. where the weak guilds only know how to one thing well: whine. I actually think 99% if the weak Guilds understand this so they don't whine all day in day out here. Only the players who think whining is the key to victory come here and whine.
And then a few players who want to improve GbG for all players..

The Lady Redneck

I actually think 99% if the weak Guilds understand this so they don't whine all day in day out
That is spot on. What the weaker guilds with decent founders and leaders do is get in touch with the stronger guilds and ask if they can work with them. As they are looking to up their game so want to see how the big guys do it. The decent big guilds will welcome that. Those guilds are to busy enjoying the game to come to the Forum and complain about the obvious problems GBG has. They are learning to work round them with the help of the big guys. It is the weak inexperienced founders who will not taken the time to learn the game and should not be running a guild that come here to whine. Or their members do as they are not getting the right directions.

Lord Pest

The problem with GBG in diamond is the strong guilds ally with each other and farm the map. Sometimes it’s 2 guilds, sometimes 3 guilds and sometimes 4 guilds. How do we get the strong guilds to compete and not swap?

1. Take an 8 guild diamond league season. Inno assigns your guild to 1 of 2 4 guild teams Based on the # of VPs your guild generated last season. The 2 teams should end up with the total VP count as = as possible.

2. You cannot attack or cap a tile that another team member holds. You can only attack and cap tiles of the other team. This prevents farming between team members.

3. One team will win the other team will lose. The 4 guilds of the winning team stay in diamond. The losing team goes to Platinum. The winning team gets the same number of awards that are given at the end of the season. The losing team gets a much smaller reward.

4. There are only 2 flags… 1 for each team. Its team vs team. Not 4 guilds vs 4 guilds. So several guilds in your team could attack the same tile at the same time and contribute to its capture. Captured tiles are not owned by a guild, they are owned by 1 of the 2 teams.

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

The problem with GBG in diamond is the strong guilds ally with each other and farm the map. Sometimes it’s 2 guilds, sometimes 3 guilds and sometimes 4 guilds. How do we get the strong guilds to compete and not swap?
IMO, you have this backwards. The question should be "how do we get the weaker guilds to become more competitive so that they will be invited to participate in the swaps". If you want to stop farming then suggest that INNO nerf the rewards. They'll lose a lot of players but what the heck.

Sharmon the Impaler

IMO, you have this backwards. The question should be "how do we get the weaker guilds to become more competitive so that they will be invited to participate in the swaps". If you want to stop farming then suggest that INNO nerf the rewards. They'll lose a lot of players but what the heck.

The idea is to get people to stay logged in not to get them to log out. If the rewards are nerfed then they get less players logged in not more.

ots3

Here is the thing for me. I am a GBG leader and am struggling to encourage participation so we can be more competitive. I don't expect to remain in diamond this round based on how we are performing (I'm still hoping that we do remain in diamond if we can get more people to participate). We are a active casual guild and don't have really high level players. We have had been in diamond for over 5 seasons so it will be sad if we break our streak. Only a few of us truly participate in GBG.
I understand people wanting to stay in diamond for the rewards but you can't assume other guilds will slow down their game for you. No one has to play nice if you can't keep up then obviously you will end up dropping down to a more appropriate league.
My only problem with GBG is people can move up to diamond too easily. We end up getting egos once we get there and when we face an aggressive guild or the big guys we think it is unfair that they won't take it easy on us. Yes we try to coordinate with the guilds and I have even asked to let us have more time to swap for my guild many times.
I want to be more positive and am definitely not giving up but realistically guilds who can't keep up will drop down. The ranking system exists because it is a competition, even if people farming/swapping sectors.
I don't know if it makes me a bad GBG leader to recognize our weak points and let people know where we need to adjust and I always appreciate those who are active.
Like I said before, the part of GBG that is imbalanced is people can move up too easily in my opinion. One thing though that might also help will be to create another League for the highest guilds perhaps they can face guilds that are from different worlds like in GE. It will make GBG more interesting for those guilds as well.

Last edited:

Lord Pest

In my opinion the announced changes coming to GBG is nothing more than lipstick on a pig. It won‘t change a thing. It won’t stop farming and it won’t stop the power guilds from teaming up and locking the other 6 guilds into home base.

MJ Artisan of War

After over 1,100 entries in this thread it is pretty obvious that Inno knows GBG isn't "balanced" (whatever that would mean) and either cannot fix it or doesn't care to fix it.
Get better at the game and join a dominating guild or shut up and color... If You started playing in the last three months and aged up way too far too fast to be competitive that is on You, not the game...

Pericles the Lion

I second what @MJ Artisan of War wrote. The solution to an "unbalanced" GBG is within the grasp of every player that is inclined to improve his/her condition. I'm in one of the top guilds on my main world but was not born into this position. Instead, it took work to build my city to the point where I would be welcomed into a top 20 guild. It did not require the purchase of diamonds, just making a plan and executing it. Every top guild has a bottom 10% that are subject to getting cut which means aspiring players in weak guilds always have an opportunity to move up. Levelling the playing field is not the solution. Instead, getting stronger so that you can manage the climb is.

Ebeondi Asi

IMO the reason Inno has not listened to the grips over GbG is the game is about winning. not about giving out participation trophies. And what Pericles wrote is 100%spot on. You want to win in GbG? then make yourself a winner. (or join a winning Guild*) Not demand GbG be dumbed down for you.
*usually to be able to join a winning Guild you need to have built up enough to be competitive. But even having good possibilities may be enough to get in a top Guild if you are the right stuff..

Last edited:

wolfhoundtoo

No the game is about making Inno money not about who in the game gets what. So long as Inno believes that their revenues will continue to grow from the game as a whole they won't tend to change something that brings them in money. They have introduced a few tweaks on beta from what I read but it won't address anyone's concerns here.

That being said it is certainly clear Inno isn't overly concerned with revising GBG so unless this is someone's 'vent' thread it is time to decide how to proceed: adapt (try and get in those top guilds), take what you can get when you can (still adapting :p), don't participate in GBG and ignore it, or let it drive you insane enough that you decide FOE isn't worth it and move on.

ots3

I know this is a thread for venting against the supposed unfairness of GBG but I wanted to update I had posted on Nov 12, 2021 that we possibly might drop down but guess what our guild pulled it off :) We are still in diamond. I am really proud of everyone :)

Last edited: