• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When does the fun actually start coming out of the game.

• Thread starter DeletedUser40546
  • Start date

Is this Overkill

• Total voters

DeletedUser40434

i see this community is as toxic as the next, if not more so. in the 5 days i've been playing, i visited hundreds of taverns. i'm running 2 of each goods building that i have bonuses for, and i was running non bonus buildings but was condescendingly told that's not good. pun not intended. i'm doing my part and then some. being stuck waiting for no one to trade is just not fun. new guild helps greatly. and as usual, non helpful forum jerks are non helpful.
You've been playing 5 whole days and you've got every single player pegged, huh? If that's going to be your attitude then please leave but if you want to see what this is all about then listen. I mean please humble yourself just a little bit and listen. You have been given numerous tips and advice. Yes there are plenty of crappy folks and guilds out there but I bet there is a guild who will be right for you. This games takes some thinking but it also takes patience. If you really want to give it a shot, then explore every opportunity, check out YouTube videos, look in the forums for any guilds that may be recruiting in your world. There's a reason a lot of us have been playing for years.

RazorbackPirate

well excuse me for not knowing about the tower of babel, the lighthouse of alexandria and the temple of zeus. also for not knowing how to get the blueprints for them. i have a couple of each already. been playing for 5 days here. i still say this community is toxic af. all i get is snark from older players.
Actually, it's you who are toxic. Not once have you asked a question. All you've done is complain. Yet through your complaints, overlooking your snark and generally 'screw this' and 'screw you' attitude, player after 'toxic' player has given you advice you've benefited from. Not a single shred of thanks or appreciation. Nope, just pissing all over the game and everyone who tries to help.

When I first started, I quickly realized that effective trading was essential to the game. I quickly became a trading expert with hundreds of trades taken per week. I've developed a trading style that works, leaves me wanting for nothing, never a FP spent. Too bad I'll never share that with you. You don't deserve the help, or the time I'd spend giving it to you.

FoE is a social game and requires a high level of social interaction to be successful. Based on the social interaction I've seen from you thus far, I'm thinking that FoE might not be your kind of game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

well excuse me for not knowing about the tower of babel, the lighthouse of alexandria and the temple of zeus.
Did I criticize you for not knowing? No, I merely pointed them out as items that could help alleviate your situation. And if you would have responded to that with asking how to get BluePrints for them, I would have explained that, too. If you want to see snark, I/we can certainly do that, but if you want helpful information you should be willing to accept it without interpreting it all as condescension/insults/snark.

DeletedUser36572

well excuse me for not knowing about the tower of babel, the lighthouse of alexandria and the temple of zeus. also for not knowing how to get the blueprints for them. i have a couple of each already. been playing for 5 days here. i still say this community is toxic . all i get is snark from older players.

If you would like a daisy chain, all I have is dandelions.

But never fear, with a little more time in the game, and the outstanding advice and help the players here are most often willing to provide at the drop of a hat, you’ll be cooking with hot grease in no time.

Baking Soda

AAA12AAA

well excuse me for not knowing about the tower of babel, the lighthouse of alexandria and the temple of zeus. also for not knowing how to get the blueprints for them. i have a couple of each already. been playing for 5 days here. i still say this community is toxic . all i get is snark from older players.

We can find a safe space and cry about those horrific events together)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser40061

Entertaining back and forth arguing. IMHO, despite this game having alot of ups and downs - some good and some bad, this is the most fun filled game ever. I play daily. I really give the app a good workout. Never a dull moment. Always something to do. I dont play any other online game. Iam loyal to foe. Met so many interesting people. The social aspect is the highlight of this game. The grey areas are attack and plundering of my cities that have tactics unlocked, which is a burden we must bear..and yes, its just part of the game. Anyway i still see myself doing another year of this game -2021. Dare i still do it when i turn 80? We shall see if foe is still around in year 3000

CherryButterfly

I just started recently as well, and totally agree with Sheherezade and Longshanks. You can read the questions in Forum, or go to Wiki and educate yourself on how to play, and how to get more out of the game. What in the world are you sitting around stuck waiting to trade, anyway? Why not figure a way to produce whatever it is? There is much to learn by reading the Guides provided, Nobody is going to come to your couch and hold your hand and tell you what to do. That would be no fun. Part of the fun is figuring out how things work, and how to get around something you think is a roadblock. Whining never solves anything. If others have figured it out, and you can't, maybe the problem is you? You've probably given up by now, anyway.

i see this community is as toxic as the next, if not more so. in the 5 days i've been playing, i visited hundreds of taverns. i'm running 2 of each goods building that i have bonuses for, and i was running non bonus buildings but was condescendingly told that's not good. pun not intended. i'm doing my part and then some. being stuck waiting for no one to trade is just not fun. new guild helps greatly. and as usual, non helpful forum jerks are non helpful.

I appreciate this comment (and others that are similar) a lot. I played this game years ago when it first came out. Came back recently and back to the forums where I used to hang out. There seems to be a lot of rudeness to new members. Especially the ones that suggest ideas and get a lot of flack. I get that the veterans here feel like they have earned the right to be snarky when the same question has been asked a million times, but to that newbie, it was their first experience. Don’t ruin it for them.

Graviton

There seems to be a lot of rudeness to new members. Especially the ones that suggest ideas and get a lot of flack.

This is somewhat of a mischaracterization. Check the Questions thread and you'll find a ton of helpful, polite replies to honest questions. There is rudeness to new players when they propose nonsense because they haven't played long enough to understand the game. There is rudeness to players who become immediately defensive and claim victimhood when they've met simple disagreement. There is rudeness to players who ignore basic forum etiquette by refusing to read the stickied threads before posting. With few exceptions, new posters are not just set-upon out of the blue.

Not to say that all of the rudeness from forum regulars is earned, but recent posts about this subject paint a skewed picture. This can't possibly be the first internet forum these people have seen, and certain things like learning the game before you propose rules changes; posting questions about how to handle certain parts of the game instead of ranting about how crappy it is; reading past proposals before posting your own; and familiarizing one's self with forum rules aren't unique to this one. And yet we see those things happen on a regular basis. Were we better people we might just remain silent (and then be characterized as unhelpful because we don't respond), but some days are better than others. Just as players ignore all of the above forum rules, we sometimes ignore our better nature. Humans, amirite?

Kranyar the Mysterious

Plus often staying silent when someone is wrong or misguided, or just totally nieve would send an incorrect message that they are correct. Too often these types of posts also start off with a (not) so off hand insult, and when called on it they just double down.

CherryButterfly

Again,
I am new, and have found nothing but helpful answers here. Little things like Please and Thank You go a long way in "Real Life" and Forums. Just because you hide behind a "Player's Name" is no reason to use a rude tone, and will reap the same.
Some people act the same everywhere, though. This is the same guy that complains loudly at the back of the line at the grocery store because the line is too long, and waves his water glass at his waiter for a refill. Ever wonder why the Bartender just looks over your head, and helps the polite guy behind you???

CDmark

Anytime I have had a new player, it takes time to get a good friends list where they play regularly and aid/tavern. Send out friend requests, I recommend the top 20 of your neighbors. Some will reject, it is nothing personal, there are limits as to the number of friends you can have. Also, there are recurring quests for FP and coin where you can get goods too. There is a lot to the game, a lot to read too, here and wikia. Joining a guild will help with trades too, I think it was mentioned above. Start with a low level guild, one where they will help answer questions. The Great Buildings will play a key role in your player too.

This is somewhat of a mischaracterization. Check the Questions thread and you'll find a ton of helpful, polite replies to honest questions. There is rudeness to new players when they propose nonsense because they haven't played long enough to understand the game. There is rudeness to players who become immediately defensive and claim victimhood when they've met simple disagreement. There is rudeness to players who ignore basic forum etiquette by refusing to read the stickied threads before posting. With few exceptions, new posters are not just set-upon out of the blue.

Not to say that all of the rudeness from forum regulars is earned, but recent posts about this subject paint a skewed picture. This can't possibly be the first internet forum these people have seen, and certain things like learning the game before you propose rules changes; posting questions about how to handle certain parts of the game instead of ranting about how crappy it is; reading past proposals before posting your own; and familiarizing one's self with forum rules aren't unique to this one. And yet we see those things happen on a regular basis. Were we better people we might just remain silent (and then be characterized as unhelpful because we don't respond), but some days are better than others. Just as players ignore all of the above forum rules, we sometimes ignore our better nature. Humans, amirite?
Well, I feel like...even if players ignore basic forum etiquette and refuse to read stickies, veterans still shouldn't be rude or hateful to them. I used to be a veteran on a gaming forum, and I used to do the same thing when people would come in with repeated proposals and the same question a thousandth time. It was annoying and obnoxious. I get it, I do. I used to love to use sarcasm and put those noobs in their place.

That was years ago, I don't know, I'm 34 now. I kind of view noobs as children now. Innocent and Uninformed. Maybe they don't know about stickies. Maybe they are lazy, there's no telling. I just came here to join the community and I found the environment here not very welcoming from what I've seen. So far. I'm just glad you were polite about it. I'll keep hanging out here and maybe I'll change my mind.

The Lady Redneck

I do TRY to be polite and easy going with answers and/or comments. I do believe there is a place for diplomacy and a mild mannered answer or comment. In and ideal world that would always be the case.

But we are dealing with human nature so at times a down right straight talking, this is how it is, this is how it will be, and if you have a problem it is your problem, deal with it approach is what is needed when someone comes on crying or ranting because everything is not being handed to them on a plate. Or where they are virtually demanding that everyone who has anything to do with the game at all approves of changes they have decided the game must have, and will brook no other opinion. In those situations someone new coming in to the middle of such a post will be diving for cover and wonder what the heck they have landed in. But I am warped enough to think hey I am going to sit around and enjoy the show. I might end up wanting to join in. ;)

DeletedUser40546

Or at least getting some popcorn and a soda and sitting back and watching the show! LMAO!

I do TRY to be polite and easy going with answers and/or comments. I do believe there is a place for diplomacy and a mild mannered answer or comment. In and ideal world that would always be the case.

But we are dealing with human nature so at times a down right straight talking, this is how it is, this is how it will be, and if you have a problem it is your problem, deal with it approach is what is needed when someone comes on crying or ranting because everything is not being handed to them on a plate. Or where they are virtually demanding that everyone who has anything to do with the game at all approves of changes they have decided the game must have, and will brook no other opinion. In those situations someone new coming in to the middle of such a post will be diving for cover and wonder what the heck they have landed in. But I am warped enough to think hey I am going to sit around and enjoy the show. I might end up wanting to join in. ;)

I find it very irritating when new players coming in crying that game features aren’t easier. I mean, it’s a game, that you don’t really “win” and there’s no real end to the game. (I had someone in global the other day ask how to get coins faster and how to beat the game- my response was I admit, a little snarky) There has to be a challenge. People see these challenges as game flaws.

Here’s an idea, only players that have been on the forums for a few months can make proposals lol

DeletedUser32973

And here I thought FoE was often too easy. I've always held the belief that FoE is about the long term strategy, and how that strategy holds up to other players. On the day to day tactical side of FoE it's really quite a bland game (imho). It takes quite a bit of patience, and if you don't have that, then this game probably isn't for you. There are things you can do to avoid your problems as well as accelerate faster than normal, some of which have been mentioned here, some not. But I think regardless of your strategy patience is a requirement.

FL4KER

hey uhh, everyone stop fighting, oh and titus, you get BP from aiding / helping other people, and a lot more than just that, i mean i did start 2 hours ago, but i remembered some old stuff i had in mah noggin