• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When is the best time to move up to the next era?

DeletedUser38613

I have 3 GB in World E and 2 in world B yet NONE Of them are at level 10 yet. I Only got up to level 5 my Arc GB per world. Yet despite that, I've been camping and hit millions on my supplies and gold and am honestly bored with my current era (EMA). But generally across every era, when do you know it's good time to upgrade to the next Era?

Lannister the Rich

If you can fight you’re way through GE level 4 (or at least finish without it breaking you), that’s usually my tell. Try to be in the top 15 of your neighborhood also.

When you have determined you’re okay to move up, the best way I’ve seen is to wait until the neighborhoods change, then start unlocking the next tech.

Super Catanian

If your goal is not to power level your GBs, I like to do the following... This is obviously my own personal way of doing things, so feel free to modify my list at your discretion.

1. Research all the techs in an age, but leave some unlocked just in case a quest wants you to research one.
  2. Wait until an event comes and goes.
  3. Remain in that age just to be careful.
  4. Wait for another event to roll by.
  5. When the event ends, don't use your last upgrade kit for that cool new Building just yet! Age up, and then use it. That new Event Building will be of your new current age, providing Goods that you might need later on (especially helpful in the Modern Era).

Last edited:

Algona

I have 3 GB in World E and 2 in world B yet NONE Of them are at level 10 yet. I Only got up to level 5 my Arc GB per world. Yet despite that, I've been camping and hit millions on my supplies and gold and am honestly bored with my current era (EMA). But generally across every era, when do you know it's good time to upgrade to the next Era?

Algona's Rule For Advancement: Given the ease of procuring high quality SBs from GE, DCs, Settlements, and Events and the relative ease of acquiring and leveling GBs, the only reason to move up in Era is to get more Expansions to place all the cool stuff you get.

One corollary of this as lannister mentions: If you can't easily complete GEs, DCs, and Events you are not ready to move up in Era.

DeletedUser40495

My cheap advice:

Aging up gives no real benefit except more expansions, so only move up if you need those expansions. If you don’t have anything good in inventory to fill the new land you get, there really is no point in moving up. Why make GE harder on yourself simply to get a few more expansions to fill with residentials and supply production buildings?

But if getting that extra land will allow you to increase your FP production, I would definitely tell you to move up.

DeletedUser30312

If you can easily handle the GE, DC and events with your current setup and you want to move on, especially if you need the added space from expansions, then do so. You generally want to wait until just after a hood change so you have nearly the full two weeks to work on your research in a hood that is now an age behind you. Do it on a Tuesday or no later than a Wednesday so that you'll have a nice easy GE for the week from the previous age too. We just got a new hood this week, so you should wait to level up until the 27th if you want to level now. That will be the new GE after the next hood change.

HMA is a good age to camp. The Alchemists are good for RQs, it's still a relatively early and easy age, and most of the players are still going to be pretty inexperienced. You might run into an occasional aggressive camper, but if you camp enough, you'll be able to deal with them.

DeletedUser40191

I'm new and haven't read other people's advice, but here is what I found going from the Bronze Era to the Progressive Era. Make sure you have at the very least a good supply of goods from your current age coming in. This is because you will still need many of your goods even in the next age (negotiating in GE or on the campaign map and for the side quests and even the research). You should also have tried to trade up to get around 100 of each of the goods from the next era (if you want to hit the ground running). My last move I went from Colonial to Industrial to Progressive in about one week and that was a bad move. I couldn't make it through the GE by fighting or negotiating and spent a lot of diamonds just to catch up. If your a fighter like me, I've noticed that it's your points that determine your neighbourhood enemies and how difficult they are, not your era. That means you can still win some fights in the higher era with the previous eras troops/armies.

I don't understand players who have like 8,000,000 points and are playing in an early age yet they have all the Great Buildings from the final eras. I don't get the draw of staying with the same buildings and rewards for years on end.

DeletedUser40191

If your goal is not to power level your GBs, I like to do the following... This is obviously my own personal way of doing things, so feel free to modify my list at your discretion.

1. Research all the techs in an age, but leave some unlocked just in case a quest wants you to research one.
  2. Wait until an event comes and goes.
  3. Remain in that age just to be careful.
  4. Wait for another event to roll by.
  5. When the event ends, don't use your last upgrade kit for that cool new Building just yet! Age up, and then use it. That new Event Building will be of your new current age, providing Goods that you might need later on (especially helpful in the Modern Era).
So I levelled up prematurely during this latest event because I wanted better prizes from the wheel. I got stung a little at the beginning, but then won a bunch of tanks/troops that let me catch up. I think that sometimes (if you're thinking about levelling) to do it before or during a major event to capitalize on the rewards.

Houston Don

If you can easily handle the GE, DC and events with your current setup and you want to move on, especially if you need the added space from expansions, then do so. You generally want to wait until just after a hood change so you have nearly the full two weeks to work on your research in a hood that is now an age behind you. Do it on a Tuesday or no later than a Wednesday so that you'll have a nice easy GE for the week from the previous age too. We just got a new hood this week, so you should wait to level up until the 27th if you want to level now. That will be the new GE after the next hood change.

HMA is a good age to camp. The Alchemists are good for RQs, it's still a relatively early and easy age, and most of the players are still going to be pretty inexperienced. You might run into an occasional aggressive camper, but if you camp enough, you'll be able to deal with them.
Maybe it's just in L-world but most of my neighbors are woefully weak, dropping out of the top ten at any given time results in players that just can't compete. The problem is that the stuff they have to plunder is also worthless much of the time, and leveling up has shown that there is no difference. Some say that you should just level up faster but then you find players who are juggernauts by comparison, ready to attack and plunder daily. It'd be nice to have same level neighborhoods where the disparities between the lowest level players and the highest wasn't so vast but Inno measures strictly from points and most who have played for awhile understand how limited that metric can be (some players obtain points by donating a lot of goods, playing an economic game instead of a fighting game, or attack a lot of low end players for points-boosting their player score artificially much like the way Inno ranks guilds largely based on GVG).

Shy Pete, if you level up an Arc and a CF to decent levels, your economic game will be very easy but unless you spend some effort on military stuff, you're going to be at the whim of otherwise mediocre players who focused on that instead. I've had PME players with ~45 million points in my hood but most come in with less than 2 or 2.5 million, as I mentioned above, the top tends to be solid but it drops fast (I am always in the top 10).

DeletedUser40527

Maybe it's just in L-world but most of my neighbors are woefully weak, dropping out of the top ten at any given time results in players that just can't compete. The problem is that the stuff they have to plunder is also worthless much of the time, and leveling up has shown that there is no difference. Some say that you should just level up faster but then you find players who are juggernauts by comparison, ready to attack and plunder daily. It'd be nice to have same level neighborhoods where the disparities between the lowest level players and the highest wasn't so vast but Inno measures strictly from points and most who have played for awhile understand how limited that metric can be (some players obtain points by donating a lot of goods, playing an economic game instead of a fighting game, or attack a lot of low end players for points-boosting their player score artificially much like the way Inno ranks guilds largely based on GVG).

Shy Pete, if you level up an Arc and a CF to decent levels, your economic game will be very easy but unless you spend some effort on military stuff, you're going to be at the whim of otherwise mediocre players who focused on that instead. I've had PME players with ~45 million points in my hood but most come in with less than 2 or 2.5 million, as I mentioned above, the top tends to be solid but it drops fast (I am always in the top 10).
Been playing only a few months. Currently hanging out in HMA, and not moving on any time soon. Waiting on increasing my stock of goods, FP (from doing RQ), and GB leveling. My focus has been doing RQs for the most part. I find that I am "comfortable" here. I'm ranked 16th in my current hood with 200k points. The top 10 are all over a million (13 mill for the top person), and the bottom 50 are all below 100k, bottom 25 below 30k. I have yet to be attacked by anyone in the current hood, although I did have one of them spam a message saying "if you have anything other than 2 spearfighters defending your city, please leave this thread". LOL. Thought it was quite original. I have no standard military buildings from my age. I only have champion retreat and a few rogue hideouts. I have many standard units, however, acquired from GE. I do have a small attack bonus from buildings of 25%. I will move up to LMA when I have my GBs leveled up to 10 (CF, Arc, StMarks, LoA).

Jern2017

If you've been camping in the EMA and have millions of supplies and coins, you should have your GBs at higher levels as well, assuming you obtained a decent number of FP producing buildings. I don't see much sense in camping in an age only to stock up on supplies and coins.

Replies to your question varied, because players told you what a good time to move up is for THEM. It makes great sense, because we each have different goals and enjoy different things in the game.

My no. 1 priority is to get my offensive and defensive boosts as high as possible. My no. 2 priority is working on my FP production in order to fuel priority no. 1.

I move up when I feel my offensive boost is adequate to be able to continue to fight in the GE.

Figure out what you want to do in the game (fight, stock on huge amounts of goods to sell them and negotiate in the GE, build the prettiest city we've ever seen...) and move up an age accordingly.

DeletedUser28147

Started a new world on H, my strategy this go around is to get every great building from every age to level 10 before moving on, the benefits so far have been awesome and I forsee them to be even better as I go.

Mustapha00

There is no "perfect" time to advance an Age because there are so many different ways to play this game.

Just one example: if you want to go the fighting route, then you need to find an Age in which you understand what the various units are capable of and what combination of units works best for various circumstances. You'll want to level up all of the "basic" Attack GBs (Zeus, Aachen, CdM) and maybe a few of the not-so-basic ones (AO, TA, Kraken, HC, etc.). And then there's the Arc to consider. Depending on your FP production, that can take quite a while, so it had better be an Age which doesn't bore the stew out of you.

And even then, given all that time and effort, you still might not be the "big dog" in your Neighborhood because chances are excellent that at least a couple of folks followed the same path you did, only they started weeks, months or even years before you did and so, until they Age up, they're going to be well advanced of you, even though you're both in the same Age.

The "best" time to advance is when you feel you've accomplished all that you wish to do in a certain Age.

DeletedUser38613

My cheap advice:

Aging up gives no real benefit except more expansions, so only move up if you need those expansions. If you don’t have anything good in inventory to fill the new land you get, there really is no point in moving up. Why make GE harder on yourself simply to get a few more expansions to fill with residentials and supply production buildings?

But if getting that extra land will allow you to increase your FP production, I would definitely tell you to move up.
Kind of makes even playing the game redundant with that point. If there's no point in moving up for anything other than expansion, then your literally repeating the same tasks over and over just for cooler looking toys....kinda depressing

DeletedUser40495

Kind of makes even playing the game redundant with that point. If there's no point in moving up for anything other than expansion, then your literally repeating the same tasks over and over just for cooler looking toys....kinda depressing
I’m not saying that camping is the most fun method for everyone (although I love it), I’m just saying that you will get the best results ranking point wise if you don’t rush through, and you take time to level the GBs that make your city more powerful.

Agent327

I’m not saying that camping is the most fun method for everyone (although I love it), I’m just saying that you will get the best results ranking point wise if you don’t rush through, and you take time to level the GBs that make your city more powerful.

I do not agree with you. I think it really does not make that much of a difference. When I started playing last era was Contemporary, so I had some catching up to do. Never camped in any era and just kept moving forward. You can say I started camping when I reached the last era available. Every new era after that I rushed to get through. I think being at the end of the last era gives you way more potential to grow. Ranking points will come much easier and your GB's grow faster.

DeletedUser37581

I think being at the end of the last era gives you way more potential to grow. Ranking points will come much easier and your GB's grow faster.
I personally don't give a hoot about ranking points. In what way do GBs grow faster from being in a higher age? Is it just from having more space to place more Terrace Farms (or whatever)?

DeletedUser40495

I think being at the end of the last era gives you way more potential to grow. Ranking points will come much easier and your GB's grow faster.
Being in a higher era gives you much more ranking points from battles and it also gives you more ranking points for spending goods.

But in terms of leveling your GBs, the era you are in has hardly any effect. Your FP production is what determines that. Now obviously in higher ages, players will have more land and then this should lead to more FP. But I personally am choosing to camp until I need that land for buildings that will give me more FP. Until I have FP producing buildings to put in the land I would get from moving up, I’m staying put. At least in my situation the fastest way to more FP (and therefore more growth) is to level my FP producing GBs.

Freshmeboy

There is no 'best time' for the gaming population...there is only a best time for you. Many players rush through the ages in search of goods for GBs and land.. It really depends on your gaming style. Are you building a trading city and need land for goods production..? An empire based on war with a focus on Attack and defense GBs and event buildings....? Are you like me, building forge point cities only moving up in age when land is required to place more event buildings...? The beauty of FoE is the variance in playing style, time and goals. There is no right or wrong way to play....

Agent327

But in terms of leveling your GBs, the era you are in has hardly any effect. Your FP production is what determines that. Now obviously in higher ages, players will have more land and then this should lead to more FP. But I personally am choosing to camp until I need that land for buildings that will give me more FP. Until I have FP producing buildings to put in the land I would get from moving up, I’m staying put. At least in my situation the fastest way to more FP (and therefore more growth) is to level my FP producing GBs.

You can already have the buildings so you need more land. You are only limiting yourself. You will get more and more behind the top players so your main goal will be limited to camping.