• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When to move from Bronze Age to Iron Age?

ErDrRon

Hello!

Newbie player here...

Anyone have any sage words of wisdom for when to move from the Bronze Age to the Iron Age? I think I'm close but don't want to move prematurely.

Thanks!
Ron

Gypsy Grace

EDIT: just realized that you are going from Bronze to Iron. The advice below is geared for going from Iron to Early Middle Ages. You'll have to adjust some on the various military and houses mentioned to the best that you have available to you now. You won't be able to attack or plunder or be attacked/plunder.

Take it from someone that advanced from Iron to EMA to soon:
- place in the top 10% of your neighborhood (it changes every 2 weeks on Monday - next change is 1/3)
- Zues and Babel GBs planted and leveled up a few times
- progress on the campaign map to where you're dealing with EMA fighters and goods for negotiations - priority on provinces that award expansion plots
- have 3 goods buildings of whatever you are boosted in
- trade up for EMA goods, 90 to 100 of each in your inventory
- 2 or 3 Butchers for goods
- Tavern: 8-10 seats as well as at least 2 upgrades on tray, tablecloth, and floor
- At least 1 Rogue Hideout, 2 is preferred
- 2 Mercenaries
- Be able to fight all the way through level one of GE, fight or negotiate through level 2 (use Tavern boost for negotiations)
- only Multi-story houses and your Long House that you bought in the tutorial (costs diamonds) - the higher your Babel, the less houses you need)
- convert any little 'happiness' items to 1 or 2 large ones - IF they are needed
- get your Winter Canal levelled up completely, most likely Jolie will be best for you
- purge your friend list of anyone that hasn't been active in the last 7 days
- send friend requests to all the neighbors above you and maybe the 3-4 below you
- attack and plunder the lowest 5 (or more) in your neighborhood at least once a week (keep track of who has what you need)
- get all your goods and production buildings set where you ALWAYS collect on time
- set your defense team as best you can, but know that they will get defeated. COLLECT ON TIME and plundering isn't a problem
- make sure you're in a guild that ranks gold or higher in GE, has swap or 1.9 threads that move quickly, is responsive to your questions
- aid everyone every day (guild first, then neighbors, last neighbors), check for empty tavern seats a couple of times a day, keep your tavern emptied - better to collect with one chair empty than have several people pass by because you're full

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure others will add to this. Remember, have fun - it isn't a race!

Last edited:

Ironrooster

Basically, there is no reason to stay in the Bronze Age.
The Stone Age is the tutorial
The Bronze Age is the practical exercise.
The Iron Age is where the game begins.
There is very little you can do in the Bronze Age. While you can participate in events, you will have difficulty with the event quests and probably will not be able to do them all.
I suggest you move up to Iron Age as soon as you complete the Bronze Age technology tree.

Once you are in Iron Age you may want to stay a while, do some events, get some Great Buildings started. Note do not do the Colosseum Great Building.
I recommend you do the Statue of Zeus. Temple of Relics, and the Lighthouse of Alexandria first. The others can be useful depending on how you play the game and what building(s) you get from the first few events you do.
Join or start a solo guild so you can do the Guild Expedition and Guild Battleground.

Good luck

Emberguard

The only reason I'd stay in Bronze is to Guild Hop in quick succession Aiding everyone in each Guild and doing the Gather X Coins Recurring Quest. But I wouldn't recommend spending anymore than a day doing that. Anything you can do in Bronze you can do in Iron Age and honestly you're more likely to stunt your growth prolonging it than you are to benefit staying.

The Lady Redneck

I agree with most of the advice above. It is good to see you are willing to be cautious about moving up. Patience is the best thing you can bring to the game. So do not be in a hurry to get through Iron age. I would suggest you do not complete the military tactics Tech until you are ready to move out of Iron age. As you cannot be attacked or plundered by other players until you have done that Tech. The GBs you will need are Zeus, Lighthouse of Alexandria, Temple of Relics, Tower of Babel. NEVER build the Colosseum. If you have your Oracle of Delphi keep it for now but do not wast FPs on leveling it as you will not keep it. but it is only 3X3 so does not take up much room and will give you supplies which you will need. Keep it until you have all the Blue Prints for your Observatory. . then Delete Delphi and build the Observatory in its place. The Observatory produces goods for the guild treasury so having that will help you get into a decent guild. Look through the top 100 guilds on your world, read their profiles to see their requirements for membership. If there are any in particular you thing would suit how you want to play the game Get in touch with them. they usually have the name of the guild recruiter in the guild profile. A good guild with experienced Founders and leaders is very important as it is there that you will really learn the game and gain experience. They will also help you to get your Great buildings leveled up and help you get higher age GBs. But please do not sit in silence waiting on them to help you. Introduce yourself when you join and never be afraid to ask any questions you have. Or join in guild conversations. If for some reason you do find the first guild you join does not suit you, then leave and try another. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the one where you feel you fit in and feel at home.

If you have the patience. Stay in Iron Age until you also have CoA and CdM and have all your GBs leveled up to at least level 10. Some you will want to have even higher. A good guild should also help you get other higher age GBs when you are still in Iron age as well. And never move up an age until you are in the top 5 of your neighborhood, can auto battle the first 2 levels of GE and have built up enough Forge point packs and enough good for that ages to be able to complete all the techs. And also make sure you have at least 500 0f each of the goods for your old age as you will still need those if you need to negotiate in GE. But do not try to auto battle with your troops right away. Battle manually until you find which troops are good and which are a waste of time having. If you can auto battle the first 2 levels in GE when you leave Iron age. Then get your EMA troops and work with them, you should be able to auto battle all 4 levels before moving up to HMA. Taking time to plan ahead and build your forward strength in each age will serve you well as you grow.

ErDrRon

Sooo... I just moved into the Iron Age, built the Tower of Babel, already have the Statue of Zeus and upgraded all of the residences to Iron Age buildings. What should I focus on now??

wolfhoundtoo

Are you in a guild? You'll want to develop your ability to produce goods (either by quest, GB, or regular building) and if you haven't already you will want to work a few sectors on the Continental map for the benefits you get from owning the sectors.

You'll want to consider what kind of city you want - are you going to be primarily a fighter, or do you want to concentrate on goods building or a bit if both?

Emberguard

Sooo... I just moved into the Iron Age, built the Tower of Babel, already have the Statue of Zeus and upgraded all of the residences to Iron Age buildings. What should I focus on now??
Focus on levelling the Zeus up and the general development of your city through Iron Age

Gypsy Grace

Now you can use my list posted above as a checklist...have fune!

The Lady Redneck

You will have fun in this game if you explore every aspect of it. Find out for yourself what each button does. But you must find a good knowledgeable guild first. Before you can really get going.

SRTmaxw1007

I am very close to being finished with all of my research from bronze age, is there any information I need to know before advancing to iron age?

Gypsy Grace

Just a few posts up...here you go:

Basically, there is no reason to stay in the Bronze Age.
The Stone Age is the tutorial
The Bronze Age is the practical exercise.
The Iron Age is where the game begins.
There is very little you can do in the Bronze Age. While you can participate in events, you will have difficulty with the event quests and probably will not be able to do them all.
I suggest you move up to Iron Age as soon as you complete the Bronze Age technology tree.

Once you are in Iron Age you may want to stay a while, do some events, get some Great Buildings started. Note do not do the Colosseum Great Building.
I recommend you do the Statue of Zeus. Temple of Relics, and the Lighthouse of Alexandria first. The others can be useful depending on how you play the game and what building(s) you get from the first few events you do.
Join or start a solo guild so you can do the Guild Expedition and Guild Battleground.

ErDrRon

Are there any good guides or apps to optimize the set-up of your city to maximize usage and roads?

Gypsy Grace

Well, it's most efficient to place the short side of a building on the road if it's a rectangle. I keep my Town Hall in the northwest corner, so things don't get hidden behind it. And I like all my tall stuff on west and north side for the same reason.

Place large buildings at the end of a road (either vertical or horizontal) as the building only needs 1 square of road to be active. Otherwise, you'd have to place road the whole way to get to other buildings. Make sense?

Your layout is going to vary because your boosted goods are probably different. And your supply buildings will be different depending on how you proceed through the Research Tree. To many variables to make a guide, I think.

You will eventually unlock 'Reconstruction Mode' (one of my fave things) and it will make laying out your city much easier.

More experienced players probably have additional tips and ideas. Have fun!

ErDrRon

This is what it looks like now. [Sheilding head...] How bad is it? There are two "plots" that have nothing on them yet as well.

FOE_pic.gif

RazorbackPirate

This is what it looks like now. [Sheilding head...] How bad is it? There are two "plots" that have nothing on them yet as well.
I would start by eliminating extra roads, especially the ones on the edge of the map. Whenver you can, try to use both sides of every road.

ErDrRon

I see that I purchased too many roads. Was going to try to save them for when I got more expansions. Does that make sense or should I sell them now?

wolfhoundtoo

Razor's suggestion of eliminating extra roads was meant to utilized to free up space by reorganizing your roads. If you aren't going to do anything with the space you open up by removing extra roads then leaving them, the way they are currently is fine. Depending on how you are getting the expansions (tech, map or victory expansions) the length of time needed to get new expansions generally isn't worth building your city to allow for expansion later on. You should rebuild your city on a regular basis as you should be reevaluating what is in your city at least semiregularly. If you don't really like to change your city that much, then it might sense for you to build for your future expansions but that really isn't the way to get the most benefits out of your city.