• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Which GB are the best to have?

FunnyWanderer

I'm reaching a stage where I have several completed prints for GB and I'm struggling to figure out which are the best to build and keep. Right now, I have Oracle, LOA, Zeus, and TOB built and have prints for Colo, ND, and HS. Will soon have TOR and COA prints as well and moving forward with many others as well. I'm at HMA now and focus more on building and production rather than fighting (though I do fight in GE).

I've searched through this forum extensively to learn the relative pros and cons of the different GB, but have not found any good discussions on this. Only comments as part of other threads. In general, people seem to hate Colo and ND among the earlier buildings, as well as the Space Needle. I definitely want TOA as I do GE as much as possible and HS looks like a good choice though its big.

Anyone who can point me to a good thread discussing GB's relative strengths and weaknesses (the tables are just to dense for me to work through, or perhaps I'm too dense). Thanks!

DeletedUser31592

Whether someone searches for a thread where this has been hashed out a million times or people start giving their opinions here, you will find that everyone's opinion is different.
What you will find a consensus on is the Colosseum and Notre Dame. Never build those.

If you are trying to stay true to your era, or don't want to mess with buying later aged goods, the Hagia Sophia can be a solid building. Some people will hate on it and drone on about how terrible it is. Is it large? Yes. But it also solves any happiness problem you could have in the early ages without having to buy goods- plus it gives FPs. For its size, does it give a lot of FPs? No. But it is a building you can get early on, so you will have it a long time. Plus it is 'cheap' to level compared to later era buildings. My HS has been at level 10 for about 3 years. 6 FPs per day x 1,095 days = 6,570 FPs. Hard to say it hasn't been worth the space it takes up ;)

CoA- Are you a fighter? Do you plan to be? If so, you will need/want this. If you don't like the fighting aspect and only fight casually (or like me to fulfill quests), you can skip it. If you change your mind, you can always go back and build it.

ToR- I have a love/hate relationship with the ToR. It gives you a lot of junk. But just when you are about to delete it, it will give up some FPs, goods, or rogues. While I do GE4 in all of my cities from the moment I unlock IA, I've started holding off building this for a few eras. I prefer to wait until I have a little bit more room. It is too inconsistent, so I don't like taking up precious space in an early era city.

Jern2017

Great Buildings offer a wide selection of boosts/bonuses. Some may not fit your play style.

If you do not plan on fighting (attacking your neighbors, fighting in the GE/PVP/campaign map), building the Zeus, Aachen, Castel del Monte, Alcatraz... Would be useless.

Whatever your play style is, I would suggest some Great Buildings.

Lighthouse of Aleksandria (having a supply boost is always good and the goods you get from them are a nice addition)

Temple of Relics (some relics are very nice, like special buildings, 25/100 Forge Points, 25/200 of one good from your current age...)

A defensive Great Building (I would suggest the Saint Basil's Cathedral as it's slightly smaller than Deal Castle).

A Great Building providing population (I don't know what age you're in, but I assume you're at the start, so if you are get the Tower of Babel). You save a lot of space by needing less or even no residential buildings.

The Arc.

You could always "buy" goods from ages above you with Forge Points and skip certain Great Buildings to get the ones that offer a similar boost to the ones from lower ages, just at a better rate.

I would definitely steer clear of the Colloseum, Notre Dame and Space Needle.

Note that these are just my suggestions.

You can visit the FoE Wiki to see all Great Buildings and their info.

DeletedUser31592

There are a couple of ancient threads that give relatively unbiased opinions about most gbs, esp.the ones in the lower ages: https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/great-buildings-encyclopedia.28246/ https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...sing-the-real-value-of-great-buildings.11260/.

I forgot that second one existed. I may hate it more than I hate Cosmic Raven's guide....
Don't read the second one. Just don't. It rates the Notre Dame- the second worst GB in the game- as "very good".
The guide is very old- the game has changed a lot over the years. I once, many years ago, when events were just 3-4 times per year and the Arc did not exist, back when GBs didn't go past level 10, I had a level 10 Colosseum. GBs or PvP towers were pretty much the only way to get medals besides quest rewards- hence the Colo. This guide was written so long ago, that the buildings we think are terrible now were actually just bad (instead of absolutely awful). And if you can't find the happiness to offset a Tower of Babel, you should quit the game. The author advises against the ToB pre-LMA because of happiness issues, lol. Where, for population, the ToB is pretty worthless once you get to Clapboard Houses in EMA. But you keep it around (and leveled to at least 10) because once you need unrefined goods to produce refined goods, that little 4x4 square is fabulous.

DeletedUser27889

My opinion would be: ToR then CoA. After that then possibly Hagia even if you only tear down later. The FP and happy is great as a 'get you by' building if you have the room, though some players do keep it.

I would not build ND or Colosseum. I put up Notre Dame early on and I don't regret it as it served it's purpose for the time I needed it but obviously was not going to grow with me. However now with the Oracle ND is even more obsolete than it was then.

For any newer players Oracle was released more recently and added in as a tutorial in the game, it is not one of the original GBs that were available to players which may explain why you don't see it listed on most of the old threads.

FunnyWanderer

Thanks for the inputs and ideas. I know that everyone has a different opinion on this, but I like to hear everyone's thoughts as it helps me to solidify my own ideas. I did get Oracle very early, probably through the tutorial and its definitely helpful at these early stages. I've been reluctant to level them up too much as it consumes a lot of FP, especially if I would be removing them later, but realize it holds back their potential.

The points about old threads not reflecting changes in the game only make these newer discussions more useful, so thanks again and I would love to hear any other thoughts on this topic.

Agent327

The points about old threads not reflecting changes in the game only make these newer discussions more useful, so thanks again and I would love to hear any other thoughts on this topic.

Why?

Go to the game. Next go to the ranking. Have a look at the Great Buildings ranking and see which GB's rank highest. Next go the players ranking and have a look in the cities of the highest ranked players to see what GB's they have.

Now you have your answer.

DeletedUser31882

I'm reaching a stage where I have several completed prints for GB and I'm struggling to figure out which are the best to build and keep. Right now, I have Oracle, LOA, Zeus, and TOB built and have prints for Colo, ND, and HS. Will soon have TOR and COA prints as well and moving forward with many others as well. I'm at HMA now and focus more on building and production rather than fighting (though I do fight in GE).

I've searched through this forum extensively to learn the relative pros and cons of the different GB, but have not found any good discussions on this. Only comments as part of other threads. In general, people seem to hate Colo and ND among the earlier buildings, as well as the Space Needle. I definitely want TOA as I do GE as much as possible and HS looks like a good choice though its big.

Anyone who can point me to a good thread discussing GB's relative strengths and weaknesses (the tables are just to dense for me to work through, or perhaps I'm too dense). Thanks!

As others have stated, it really boils down to what your play style and goals are.

Based on what you've shared I'll do my best to give you some pros and cons.

ToR: If your focus is buildings and productions, ToR will take a lot of space away from you fitting in more buildings. I would only recommend build ToR if you intend to do GE on a regular basis and clear through GE3 every week. GE4 would be optimal to maximize the amount of relics you can pull. Look up the prizes you can get from relics to pinpoint if enough of them look appetizing enough to sacrifice the space.

Pros: Augments GE income & does not require heavy FP investment.

Cons: Big footprint & relies on RNG.

CoA: If you intend to fight regularly in C-map, your hood or GE, then this is a must to build. If your intent is to be a trader, good producer and negotiator, don't bother with the land investment. The secondary benefit of coin production won't help you much in HMA RQs unless you power it up to lvl10. Even then, it may almost knock out one RQ per 24hr period.

Pros: Part of the Trinity of ATK GBs.

Cons: Meh secondary.

HS: Big land investment and FP investment to make it 'good'. It's adequate, but it may behoove you to skip it to focus on a CdM or Alcatraz depending on your goals and resources. Alcatraz is a bigger footprint, but will handle/replace your happiness that HS provides and provide you with free rogues once you obtain a RH. Traz and the CdM are the caps for most GE4 clearing people. Infinite rogues plus big ATK% = ability to full clear GE with military. May not be needed if you stick to GE3. If you can handle your happiness with an event cultural building, OoD and roads, it may be fine to skip HS in regards to happiness. The FP from HS is an okay secondary benefit, but be wary of investing heavily in the HS if you will replace it later. If your focus is goods: Frauenkirche of Dresden has happy & goods and St. Mark's Basilica has goods & Coin boost. Personally: I built an HS, leveled it up to give me 2 FP a day and deleted it later once I got my Traz (Both were not feasible due to footprints and my goals). Just be ready to do the same depending on your GB and land space priorities.

Pros: Happy & okay secondary

Cons: BIG footprint.

Colo = bad because big footprint, poor medal/happy per square ratio and better options to work towards for all play styles. Only build for aesthetics or trolling.

ND = bad because not worth the footprint or the investment. Much better options for happy & supplies for all play styles. Only build for aesthetics.

Space Needle = bad for the same reason as ND. Except for coins instead of supplies.

Apologies that a lot of mine is covering the same ground as others. Hopefully the reiterations help you solidify.

DeletedUser26965

Speaking of ToR, as Titris Thrawns states, the more GE the better of course, here's a chart, hopefully I figured it correctly, of the FP daily(7 day) average over the long term using 64 encounters every week for a year. It goes from 8 to 22. A couple levels missing data but that's not such a big deal for our purposes here. (I'll edit in some more data in a bit)
Data Source: Temple of Relics

FP-Daily-average-Over-the-L.gif