• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Answered] Which GB's NOT to build and why?

Algona

The Question is whether you will have 570 FPs available in the short time a level 15 ARC is leveled. As in, do you have 100+ 5 FPs packs stored up?

I did say for a short while. The happiness is okay, the medals also okay up to maybe 200. But the problem is that they are both non-age-scaling bonuses.

I think the more important question is why are you trying to convince anyone that there is ever a good reason to build Colosseum?

Of course 570 InvFP is somewhat unrealistic. I was at 210 Inv FP after 2 weeks and producing 100+ Inv FP per week I suppose if I could have handled the grind for another 3 weeks? Nah. Too boring. I asked thisabout my 500 Medal Expansion at week 4:

Do you think trading 70 inventory FP for a Medals Expansion I'll earn in a few weeks is a mistake?

You talk of 'short' time and the 200 Medal Expansion. You're going to use 20 days, 40 FPs, 300 Goods, and 2.5 Expansions worth of space to get a 200 Medal Expansion?

I'll spell it out for new players who are considering the Colosseum.

You can Build the Colosseum. And in 20 days gain 1 Expansion. And be ahead 60 FP compared to what I recommend:

Put 5 FP per day for 20 days into somone's Traz and garner some Medals and Traz BPs. This is exactly how I just earned 351 Medals, 30 FP, and 3 BPs. Except it took me 4 days and cost 22 FP.

Put up 2 Taverns to get more Happiness then Col gives. Use the other half of the space in any of three (or invent you;re own, orrleave the space empty, you;ll still be ahead!) profitable ways:

1) Put up 2 Goods buildings and make 800 Goods over that 20 days.

2) Put up 2 Barracks and plunder your neighbors and make a bundle of random loot and have a great shot at PvP Medals.

3) Put up 2 Butchers and do the 24 Hour RQ 20 times netting a bunch of random goodies and a lot of Supplies.

Best part? You won't have to feel the pain of tearing down a GB.

EDIT: After I hit Ebter for this post I flipped over to my EMA city, where I had been putting 10 FP.per day into an Arc. Added 265 InvFP to the 80 I already had in to lock First. 150 FP, 4 BPs, and 3795 Medals. That'll pay the last 900 on my 4K Expansion and over half the 5K.

I activated 'Spend 25 FP RQ' while doing this. Scored 20 Goods, Coins, Supploes, 20 Diamonds, and funny! 15 Medals.

You wanna tell me more about why anyone should consider building Colosseum?

Last edited:

DeletedUser27184

Temple of Relics sort of sucks, unless you want a couple of dozen 2x2 Face of the Ancients and 10 or 12 Tribal Squares!

ToR is amazing building, IF you do GE.

If you don't do GE, ToR is pure wasteland.

If you DO GE, lets say up to GE3, and your ToR is level 10, you will earn, on average, 7 FP, 13 goods *every day*. This is higher FP production then most buildings but the cape. Awesome.
But the real honey with the building is that you can get Terrace from it. around 2 every year. Which gives you another 10 FP per day. And its accumulative each year (you get more and more terraces). True, it take space. But you get more FP's.

Being a FP hog myself, I found out that ToR is the 2nd highest FP producer after the Arc. And much like the arc, the more you use it, the more your earn back. But if you don't use it, its don't give nothing.

DeletedUser28670

I think the more important question is why are you trying to convince anyone that there is ever a good reason to build Colosseum
You're right, my tone was slightly like I was trying to get people to build Colo. I was just trying to show that all GBs have a use.

DeletedUser30312

On the issue of the Habitat, one factor that mitigates against my building it is that the Innovation Tower become available what 2 Ages later, and it has a higher population per level and gives Forge Points. On the other hand, building a Habitat and an Inno Tower might mean that you can do away with residences altogether (augmented by reward and Event buildings I mean).

Yeah, that's usually the biggest argument against the Hab. And if a player's got enough coin production, then skipping it for the Inno is fine. But that usually means having a lot of SoKs or something from an event. I suppose there's a free-to-play vs. pay-to-play factor here: someone who hasn't spent money on the game or just a casual amount and doesn't have a big SoK form or something may get more use out of the Hab than a big diamond spender.

Of course, with both and a decent set of special buildings that produce coins, a player may be able to skip normal houses altogether, or use less of them, especially since some of the special residential buildings have extra effects (the SoK, the Oasis, the Ziggurat, even the Caravansary, and similar buildings). Regular houses are a basic building, but they get to the point where they start taking up more and more space, the less a player needs, the more space can be devoted to GBs and the good special buildings.

DeletedUser13838

I built the capitol and deleted it around the time I built the inno tower. I never built the habitat. IMO habitat is only useful for GVG players who build tons of military buildings. I'd also expect farmers/traders who want goods buildings would just build the housing and spend fps on their CF.

Once you hit AF there's no need to keep goods buildings. I suppose if I wanted to build another 10 STCs for GE I would need a habitat but there's just no advantage in it.

DeletedUser26120

On the issue of the Habitat, one factor that mitigates against my building it is that the Innovation Tower become available what 2 Ages later, and it has a higher population per level and gives Forge Points.
One age later, but Habitat does indeed give out higher pop. At level one it has 800 more than Innovation Tower and the larger size isn't mattering either - Habitat is still more efficient for population per tile used.

However, I agree with you. One should not waste the 7x6 space when Inno Tower is available one age later, is smaller, and provides almost as much population while giving forge points on top.

I have seen people delete level 5, 6, even level 7 habitats once they realize it's not worth it compared to Inno Tower.

As for Hagia, I used to be really against it but I'm not sure now. The happiness is useful and it takes low amounts of fps to level up compared to other GBs. It gives out plenty of fps once it gets a high enough level too. I might build it someday and see for myself.

Mustapha00

Of course, with both and a decent set of special buildings that produce coins, a player may be able to skip normal houses altogether, or use less of them, especially since some of the special residential buildings have extra effects (the SoK, the Oasis, the Ziggurat, even the Caravansary, and similar buildings). Regular houses are a basic building, but they get to the point where they start taking up more and more space, the less a player needs, the more space can be devoted to GBs and the good special buildings.

Don't tell anyone, but I just might be about to give this a shot.

DeletedUser29766

so I am in EMA and the only side quest I have now is to log on mobile for 50 medals. I assume Ragu Silvertongue does not affect this?
If I abort that can I come back later to collect by logging on mobile and will that open RQs for me?

DeletedUser26120

If you abort the quest offering the medals then it may not come back. You should complete the quest if you want the medals.

DeletedUser29766

If you abort the quest offering the medals then it may not come back. You should complete the quest if you want the medals.
ok, but that is what is keeping me from seeing any RQs?

edit: aborted and my quests are back in action. thx

Last edited by a moderator:

qaccy

Opinion time!

Tier 1: Lighthouse, St. Mark's, Chateau, Arc
Tier 2: Albert Hall, Dynamic Tower, Orangery, Seed Vault
Tier 3: Zeus, Aachen, Hagia, Castel del Monte, Alcatraz, Cape Canaveral, Innovation Tower, Temple of Relics
Tier 4: The other 15 GBs
Tier 5: Colosseum, Notre Dame

I always work to build GBs from tiers 1-3 as soon as possible. Tier 4 I'll build if able, but I don't try to acquire them. Tier 5 is never worth building.

DeletedUser27848

New

@mingmen, go into the Guides forum and read Cosmic Ravens Heavy Questing Guide.

No. Go read Glarg's How To Build Your First Great Buildings in Under a Month, mingmen.

Read both.

Fwiw, I'm actually following Glarg's approach. I built both Zeus and ToB before leaving Bronze Age, and only left BA when I had LoA blueprints complete and foundation laid.
Yes I'm following Glarg's guide, but you would be crazy not to read Cosmic Raven's guide. It is the Ultimate Truth. Maybe a little too intense for some (like myself).