• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Answered] Which GB's NOT to build and why?

DeletedUser13838

The game evolves, looking back certain GB's helped me for a while but became obsolete. If you are sitting at the end of OF3 it's easy to say certain GB's are of no value. It just comes down to how you want to progress. I like that I can look at cities of all ages and no two are the same.
Some enjoy certain elements of the game I don't and that's cool, it's your city/game. Just have fun!
Yes. It's OK to delete GBs after they've outilived their usefulness. It's hard though. I really should delete my RAH but I'm not sure I have it in me.

ITown

Anyone who plays longer than a few weeks should have that figured out. If you are lower age and don't have a sugar daddy supplying you the goods for Gaea then these are valid options.
You can easily find a trade of 1000 FPs for 2000 Arctic goods. Then 80 FPs to get it to level 1.

Then you have a GB which is actually useful. ND/Colo/Needle are not.

Let's look at what 1080 FPs gets you:
Level 6.5 Colosseum (2200 happiness, 17 medals). GB uses 42 tiles.
Level 6 Notre Dame (2300 happiness, 3680 supplies). GB uses 24 tiles.
Level 5 Space Needle (2000 Happiness, 24,000 coins). GB uses 30 tiles.
Level 1 Gaea Statue (4000 Happiness, 127 medals). GB uses 24 tiles.

This, of course, is the best case scenario, where you have a sugar daddy who just hands you 1750 free ME goods (or 750 HMA, or 300 IA).

In fact, Gaea statue is so much better that a level 10 Colosseum (2720 FP) is still worse than a level 1 Gaea. As is a level 10 Notre Dame (3180 FP) or a level 9 space needle (3430 FP).

Last edited:

DeletedUser29295

Please quit misleading new players.

Yet again, you are only including PART of what I was responding to.
If I ever decide to advance to the latest age (I'm in CE in my most advanced city), I will probably build every GB that I have room for. At that point, coins, supplies and medals will become pointless, given that there is a limit to the medal expansions, and event/special buildings can provide current age goods. And I will be able to sell high age goods very cheaply to lower era players, since I don't do GvG.

THIS ^^^^^^

I am of the mind that every GB can be useful. My own city is being developed so I will not have any production/supply/population building. Right now I am pretty well set for GB's, but I will add specific ones as I need them until I get to where I want to be.

Is why I said THIS ^^^^^^

If you read my posts, you would see I NEVER advocate building those GB's. I was answeriing Stephen, agreeing with what he was saying when he said he would build every GB he had room for. IN THIS SITUATION, I feel that every GB can be useful. THAT was the context, Algona. I was not advocating for building the Col or any other of the GB's that are deemed worthless.

Maybe next time you can read the entire exchange, or you can ask for clairfication instead of jumping to conclusions.

Algona

I dont remember having 1000 FPs laying around in early eras.

My EMA city is buying Arc Goods now. 1/3 paid in 3 days, I still have 300 FP in Inventory, I'll be padi odd max 15 more days, and I', betting on 10 with an average couple of GEs.

Yet again, you are only including PART of what I was responding to.

Yes. Yes I did. And you responded the same as well with irrelevant dooky. Wanna go for another loop? Here's the lob:

In this thread as long as whatever follows "I am of the mind that every GB can be useful. " is anything but an explicit statement that new players should never build Col or ND then you are misleading new players.

So on 1 of the 23 (soon to be 24) US servers, "you can easily".

Sorry Stephen, make it 3 of soon to be 24. Add MK and Rugnir. It took me a half day to find a 900 FP seller in Rugnir In MK my Guildies are putting up an Arc every 2 weeks, and not one of us is a supplier of Future Goods. Last Summer it took me three tries to get Arc Goods in MK, my first two dealers wonked out. Not cheating, just bad luck: they both left the game before the deal was done.

ITown really does do a good job of analyzing the situation.

Whereas folk like snake and alkay are misleading new players.

Last edited:

DeletedUser29295

In this thread as long as whatever follows "I am of the mind that every GB can be useful. " is anything but an explicit statement that new players should never build Col or ND then you are misleading new players.

OK, Mr. King of this thread. An answer to another player about a specific statement is misleading new players. Your as wonked as you are accusing me of. But I shall bow to you, oh great one who sees and knows all, and can read minds as well as read into simple posts without the regard of anything else the poster has stated about specific GB's in this thread.

You can blather all you want to about this: however my answer to Stephen still stands for what we were discussing. When you take words or statements out of context to make yourself feel like you know everything, it is a sad day.

Algona

OK, Mr. King of this thread.

Touche! I am mortally skewered by your rapier like savage wit.

Which is fine.

You've helped new posters know what an ass I am: a public service I think. I 'll bet helping new players is a lot more satisfying then misleading them, huh?

Meanwhile, on topic. ND and Col should never be built no matter what alkay says. Or implies.

Last edited:

ITown

Just to be clear, my posts about GBs are tailored towards players who care about efficiency. If you only care about your city's aesthetics, then this is not the thread for you.

No: Colosseum is not useful. But I've built it before just for looks.

DeletedUser

My EMA city is buying Arc Goods now. 1/3 paid in 3 days, I still have 300 FP in Inventory,
With all due respect Algona, your EMA city has the wisdom and experience of your previous cities. If I started out again I know I'd do things different as the game keeps changing and introducing new resources, buildings and units.
Just saying at the time and with not many options a few of the so called "not useful" GB had a little value.
Go in your garage and pull out that CB radio or 8 track cassette player that was a must have back in the day:)
images

Algona

With all due respect Algona, your EMA city has the wisdom and experience of your previous cities.

Wasn't my wisdom; blame Glarg. I used his fast start technique on this city combined with extended time Guild Hopping to garner a lot of Inv FPs and BPs, including I think 4 or 5 Traz BPs in the first two weeks.

Glarg's technique works to the point where new players who use it can be faced with their first GB decision in days. If you get the full set of Babel BPs first do you build it even though a lot opf good players don't like Babel? Or wait for the Zeus? I could argue either way, there's good reasons to do either. Iit;s a no brainer for me, build the Babel, not only because I like it as a GB but mainly it gives you that much needed FP dump to extend time in BA.

I think that is a valid case to illustrate your point: that there is a place for most GBs (never Col or ND!) even if you know it's gonna be temporary.

I also think that an experienced player should take the time to explain to newer players that there are much more efficient options then just throwing up random.GBs as fast as possible.

DeletedUser

The way the game works before Colonial Age, and after Colonial Age, are different.

View attachment 5883

One doesn't notice until they cross the thresh hold.
The same could be said of before/after Progressive Era with 2 lane roads, before/after Modern Era with its unrefined goods requirement, and before/after PME with its military units that return fire when hit. And of a lot of other eras.