• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Answered] Which GB's NOT to build and why?

DeletedUser30312

No: Colosseum is not useful. But I've built it before just for looks.

I wouldn't even do that. Just imagine how many players would snicker at a city that built a Col! How embarrassing! :D

DeletedUser13838

I built a colisseum before I knew what I was doing. In my defense it was my only source of medals.

DeletedUser25483

How do I post a new question? There is no option to do so. Where is the "ignore button"? Someone put me on ignore, but I don't see that option either

DeletedUser27184

How do I post a new question?
Be in the Forum Page (not inside a thread like here).
You will have a small + sign within a larger yellow circle on the right button side. Press it, and you can add a new thread.
You can choose (left side of the subject line) if you want to post a "Question".

DeletedUser

Honest tale..., my first day of playing a few years ago I went into global as a newb and asked for advice, first response was "dont build colloseum" I never did as I was learning. I think the Inno gods or kharma are messing with me though as I just got another print on GE4.

DeletedUser28970

I seriously WANT to know how you can trade FPs for goods as stated while you all were arguing about Gaea?????
That is a new one on me. I'd be as happy as a pig in slop if I could do that!

But just to get in the spirit of things in this thread: LofA, St Basils, St. Marks, and Deal are the absolute must-haves (followed by Gaea later of course). Only morons one step above slugs on the evolutionary scale would even consider building any other GBs!!!

(There, that should get some panties in a wad! :p )

DeletedUser

I seriously WANT to know how you can trade FPs for goods as stated while you all were arguing about Gaea?????
That is a new one on me. I'd be as happy as a pig in slop if I could do that!

But just to get in the spirit of things in this thread: LofA, St Basils, St. Marks, and Deal are the absolute must-haves (followed by Gaea later of course). Only morons one step above slugs on the evolutionary scale would even consider building any other GBs!!!

It's not a direct trade. In other words, you would donate the FP to one or more of their GBs, and in return they would accept unfair trades for the goods. Takes trust on both parts. For example, I donate x number of FPs to a player's Arc. In return, he accepts a trade I post offering low era goods for high era goods in some multiple of x. FP/goods ratio could be as low as 1:1, or as high as 1:5. At least those are the extremes I've seen.

DeletedUser27184

I don't like to build the Deal.
I don't like to build the St Basil.

While it is possible to defend your ground, and those GB's help with that - the problem is that you need to put up a lot of stuff to get the needed defense up to work. You need both buildings and lots of watchfires and so on. It takes a lot of space. And quite a lot of FP's to up those two buildings to relevant level of effectiveness.
This is of course possible, but it is very costly.
This space can be used for better uses (like attack buildings), and you can base your whole defense around HARVEST YOUR GOODS IN TIME.
If no one manage to take anything from you, why waste hundreds of space/FP on useless defense?

DeletedUser28970

.... "there goes another one, Ethel!"

Blatant satire is just beyond some folk. LOL Now THAT'S funny! ;)

DeletedUser27184

.... "there goes another one, Ethel!"

Blatant satire is just beyond some folk. LOL Now THAT'S funny! ;)
:)
Hmmmf

I do like the St. Marks, so if you don't like those buildings you put in your previous message, I would have to disagree with you about building this one. Same with LoA.

I like to build St. Marks :)
I like to build LoA.
Both buffs (coins/supplies) are awesome. And even more goods....

So your satire is a bit lost on me, as I agree with 2 GB's, and disagree on two others.

DeletedUser28970

"... whoosh ..."

That whole part of my post was meant to mean absolutely nothing. On purpose. 4 GBs plucked from the ether of abstract thought with neither rhyme nor reason to blame their existence on. A flight of pure fantasy. Poking a hibernating bear in the ribs. And then ... are slugs even capable of coherent thought?

But I seriously did want to know about trading FPs for Goods! :) And I got that question answered. Thanks Stephen

DeletedUser27848

"... whoosh ..."

That whole part of my post was meant to mean absolutely nothing. On purpose. 4 GBs plucked from the ether of abstract thought with neither rhyme nor reason to blame their existence on. A flight of pure fantasy. Poking a hibernating bear in the ribs. And then ... are slugs even capable of coherent thought?

But I seriously did want to know about trading FPs for Goods! :) And I got that question answered. Thanks Stephen

So basic'trolling'...

DeletedUser28970

So basic'trolling'...

hmmm? Let's see ........

"1.
informal, make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them." or

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

"Being a pri** on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can."

"2a : to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content"

": a dwarf or giant in Scandinavian folklore inhabiting caves or hills"

"1a : to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat"

So let's see? Nope: I just see humor ... satire ... fun ...

Now your post might be nearer to "trolling" :) but you would never do that! Right? :)

Darth Mole

hmmm? Let's see ........

"1a : to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat"

So let's see? Nope: I just see humor ... satire ... fun ...

Now your post might be nearer to "trolling" :) but you would never do that! Right? :)
1a is more likely to refer to Trawling? Although trawling usually involves a net or drag net.

Yet to see any evidence of satire. You might want to look that up too.

DeletedUser

I think the question in the original post goes at it from the wrong direction. There are more than a few GBs that players disagree on as to their worth. However, for me the starting point is which are the basic GBs to start with, and which ones should you definitely pursue as you advance. After that, the others you can evaluate based on your needs and the difficulty in obtaining them.

It seems to me that there is general agreement that the basic GBs for fighters to start with are the Zeus, CoA and CdM. After that would be the Alcatraz. For farmers/traders, the basic 2 would be the LoA and St Mark's, then the RAH. For quest looping, the Chateau Frontenac would be very high on the list of desirable GBs. Eventually, everyone would benefit from GBs like the Inno Tower, Dynamic Tower, Arc and so on.

There are varied opinions on the Babel. The Colosseum and Notre Dame are almost universally condemned. Voyager V1 only benefits those who plunder their neighbors. I hear very little negative about the Dresden, but a lot of negative about the Deal Castle and St Basil, although I like them both. I like the Hagia for the FPs and Happiness, but there are those who think it is too big for what it provides.

Most people who do GE a lot are in favor of the ToR, although there is much discussion about whether it performs up to expectations. Observatory is a must for anyone in a guild that does either GvG or GE, as is the Atomium later. Cape Canaveral is good for the FPs, but that's all it gives, so there are a few detractors. Lotus Temple and Space Needle give coins and Happiness, but not enough of either to justify the space, in my book. I recently deleted them on the one world where I had built them. The Capitol and Habitat are 2 others that I have built in one of my cities, but I am debating whether to sell them or not. They both provide population, which I don't need right now, and either coins or supplies, but not enough of either to justify the space.

There are other, later GBs that I haven't had experience with, but have some BPs for; Arctic Orangery, Rain Forest Project, Seed Vault and Atlantis Museum. They look like they would be beneficial. And there is the Gaea Statue (I think) that I don't even have a BP for yet, that looks like a smaller, better version of the Colosseum.

Rhyyss

Just because it's an in game goal of mine, I am building *every* great building in one of my cities.
This is the only reason I can think of to build a Colosseum.