• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Which special buildings are worth keeping?

DeletedUser26579

Given that I have more special buildings than can fit in my city, which are worth keeping?

I prefer ones that give goods and FP, by the way.

DeletedUser31440

Given that I have more special buildings than can fit in my city, which are worth keeping?

I prefer ones that give goods and FP, by the way.

You should give people a bit more to work with if you actually want help. What buildings do you have? How much space? Is there a reason you don't want to use that space for a GB? What age are you in? Those might be good things to start with.

DeletedUser26579

You should give people a bit more to work with if you actually want help. What buildings do you have? How much space? Is there a reason you don't want to use that space for a GB? What age are you in? Those might be good things to start with.

Honestly, I'm looking more for a general discussion than help or advice.

I have a large variety of event buildings from the past year or so -- see the event buildings list.
I don't have free space -- that's the point.
I find most GBs not particularly useful -- I don't need supplies or coins or 3 age old goods or happiness or defensive bonuses.
I am in the tail end of Contemporary Era.

How about approaching this from a different angle -- which special buildings have you appreciated and why? Which ones do you ignore?

DeletedUser32389

It's pretty simple when you think about it. Sounds like you want FP, so compute how many FP a building produces per square every 24 hours and that defines its usefulness. Sok = .25, Lords manor =.125, Sundial spire = .16667 (same as a terrace farm) and a bazaar is only .1. This measurement of efficiency applies to goods as well, but remember special buildings don’t require goods to make refined goods, and they're not effected by possession of a raw material deposit. Actual goods producing buildings at CE also require two lane, special buildings don't. This can improve efficiency as well. In the end real goods buildings will always produce more, but you put more into them as well.

DeletedUser

My favorite special buildings are the Tribal Squares and Shrines of Knowledge. TS for the goods, and SoK for the FP. For the guild, I love the Hall of Fame. In one city I have 8 of them. After those 3, I would probably go with the Oasis, Wishing Well/Fountain of Youth, and then the Terrace Farm and Bazaar. For one-of-a-kind special buildings, I love the Black Tower and Mad Scientist's Lab.

DeletedUser26579

It's pretty simple when you think about it. Sounds like you want FP, so compute how many FP a building produces per square every 24 hours and that defines its usefulness. Sok = .25, Lords manor =.125, Sundial spire = .16667 (same as a terrace farm) and a bazaar is only .1. This measurement of efficiency applies to goods as well, but remember special buildings don’t require goods to make refined goods, and they're not effected by possession of a raw material deposit. Actual goods producing buildings at CE also require two lane, special buildings don't. This can improve efficiency as well. In the end real goods buildings will always produce more, but you put more into them as well.

Is a real goods building better than the terrace farm?

Both produce the same amount of goods in 8 hours. However, a terrace farm requires fewer people (and the corresponding happiness), as well as no resources to start production, and only a single lane road. A real goods building has flexibility, in that you can also set it to 4 hour productions at the same efficiency.

Some of that may be era scaling in that goods buildings have requirements that grow faster (compared to previous ages) than terrace farms scale in required population? (Not certain, so don't quote me on it.)

In general, I figured someone would have crunched the numbers and figured out which buildings were best, so why reinvent the wheel?

DeletedUser34480

I'm not sure how that's relevant. I've got a grand bridge and 6 upgrades in my inventory -- just not placed.

I also feel like the randomizer has been about average
What do you mean, about average? Like you have it and another guy don't? 50%, basically saying?
Try to find out how many of your neighbors have a full bridge -- then you'd realize it is anything but average.

DeletedUser26579

What do you mean, about average? Like you have it and another guy don't? 50%, basically saying?
Try to find out how many of your neighbors have a full bridge -- then you'd realize it is anything but average.

You get a bridge and 2 upgrades for free, so you only need to win 4 from the chests.

If you play efficiently and only spend florins on chests with the bridge upgrades, you will have a whole lot of chances to win. With a 20% chance for 680 coins, it takes an expected 13,600 florins to complete the set. 2,750 come from quests, so you need to win an expected 10,850 florins. Given that you get 100 tickets for free and 24 tickets / day for 21 or so days, you need to win about 18 florins / ticket to match expectation values.

18 florins/ticket is a bit high, but not unreasonable if you play carefully.

I avoid doubling my chances unless the middle game is 140+ or the third game is 400+. (Otherwise, you will spend more than you win. This is possibly what is causing a lot of problems for people.)

I mostly play the middle game, and I check to see if the pot is larger than minimum before starting, if I can.
I play the first game (with a guaranteed win) if I want to use up a small number of tickets left and the other prizes are minimum -- I only do this when I know I won't be on, so it doesn't happen too often. I've spent maybe 6 tickets this way.
I play the third game (with the larger prize) only if the prize is already large. There is too much chance of spending all your tickets and getting nothing.

DeletedUser3882

@ekarat you didn’t read that thread fully did you? In theory yes, sure.... But reality says otherwise. I would argue that *I* play quite “efficiently” and carefully myself, but facts remain that simply due to their programming of “chance”, some players like yourself get quite lucky whereas other players like myself do not. You *cannot* argue without being objective and considering your experience may/can/will be vastly different than others based on the probability metrics found in various aspects of the game.

Across 4 worlds plus early testing on BETA, doing same/similar actions as you, playing *only* the upgrade chests, one canal, 2 SOKs, and rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, rogue, ....
I’m tired of typing... and my keys are getting worn out :/ This isn’t worth a new “R” key.

DeletedUser31592

^ If you got 1 canal and 2 SoKs, you are better off than me!
I opened 6 chests last night in one city. 4 rogues and 2 canals. That is in addition to the 7 additional canals I've gotten previously. Another city was all rogues. I don't know how many chests I opened (at least 3 in each city, 7 cities, so at least 21 chests) and I got 1 SoK and 0 upgrades. Yay.:rolleyes:

7 cities and as of now, I will only end up with 2 level 7 bridges. Only opened chests with the upgrade as an option. Compare to the Forge Bowl, and I ended up with 8 level 7 pillars (I ended up with TWO in one of my cities- without diamonds). Actually, I have a few spare pillars and upgrades- I think I can go up to level 3 in a couple more cities. And I didn't even participate in the questline after like #13 in one city and still got the level 7 pillar. The Carnival event has been AWFUL.

DeletedUser29623

To be honest, how a special building looks affects whether I decide to build it or not, so graveyards never get out of my inventory unless I’m desperate for happiness. And I still keep my Bazaars. But otherwise, it needs to do two things that I need: coins and goods, happiness and a supply boost, etc. I don’t really like the looks of the Forge Bowl event buildings, but I did put up the Athletes Quarters because it gives both coins and a defense boost. Boosts count for a lot with me because they mean I can do more Unbirthday Quests. I don’t really need the attack boost that the Royal Marble Arch gives in the next questline, but am not going to be able to resist that purely cosmetic extra!

DeletedUser34480

You get a bridge and 2 upgrades for free, so you only need to win 4 from the chests.

If you play efficiently ...
I agree about everything you said about game strategy.
Unfortunately, after that, there is a fork on the road :) Most are directed to the road, leading to nowhere :)
I've tried about 15 times for chests with Upgrade -- and got only one upgrade :)

Sorry for off-topic, everyone.

DeletedUser26579

Hey, I'd like to direct people back to the topic of which buildings are worth keeping?

DeletedUser31592

Hey, I'd like to direct people back to the topic of which buildings are worth keeping?

By opposing this question, you pretty much set the thread up to be a disaster.

If I counted correctly, there are 139 special buildings.

So by keeping it broad, this is what you get.

If you ask specific questions, you will get answers.
Examples:
Is Santa's Workshop a good building to have? (Answer- only if you have nothing better to fill the space with)
or
Which is better- a Bazaar or a Soccer Field? (Answer- exact same dimensions. The biggest difference is with the 1 and 4 hour productions. So it would depend on how much you use these options.)

DeletedUser31592

Oh, and be thankful. We hijacked another thread with Frozen songs.

Fixer Upper may be appropriate here... Or maybe keep it simple with "Let it Go"....

Mustapha00

I think I'd go with a fully upgraded Canal Bridge over a Tribal Square, as the CB gives much more goodies for the same size space (think I'm right on the space- correct me, please, if not).

I'm a pack rat, both in games and in real life. I'm not quite to the status of a true "hoarder"- at least not in real life...in game, maybe, but I just hate to get rid of event buildings, especially as how the Daily Challenges offer upgrades to certain ones (Maypole, perhaps others) as well as Set Buildings if you happened to miss out on them the first time they were offered. It's really difficult now to know what to give up on.

DeletedUser27889

I prefer buildings that give FP as well as coin/supply for the gather coin/supply RQs. With DQs I also like having multiple multi production buildings for those quests when I need them and FP when I don't, for those I like the 8 hour/FP when I can get them.

These are what I currently have in my city and decided to keep, at least for now.
HoF for the guild, WW-Because room, SoKs, SSW, Pillar Of Heroes because I got it to 7, Sakura Set, King Queen Garden Set, Palace Sets, Elephant Garden Sets, Cider Mill, Bountiful Cider Mill, Blooming Cider Mill, Lords Manor, Kiosk, Luau, Gondola Dock Market, Rosarium, Terrace Farm, Checkmate Square, Rogue Hideouts, Black Tower.