• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why are Guild Members NOT Automatic "Friends"?

ChirpyBobcat654

I'm new to FoE and find it peculiar that members of your "Guild"...
are NOT automatically "Friends" [i.e. for the purpose of Getting and Giving Points for "Visiting" "Friends Taverns" ]...
so that Guild Members can "Help" other Guild Members by "Visiting" their "Friends Tavern". ‍:rolleyes:

NOTE...
The PURPOSE of my Question was "focused" on WHY??? are Guild Members NOT able to "GET and GIVE POINTS" for "Visiting" their Guild Members "Friends Tavern" WITHOUT BEING ON the "Friends List" and NOT focused on giving "AID"... BECAUSE, you will notice, that EVERY Member of the "Three Lists" [i.e. Neighbors, Guild, Friends] HAS an AID "Button". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Many players actually prefer that guild members are not also on their friends list. The reason for this is to maximize the number of people you can aid (motivate/polish) and who can aid you. You can have a maximum of 140 friends and 79 guild mates. That's 219 potential aids per day. For every guild mate that is also a friend, that number of potential aids decreases by one.

Ebeondi Asi

I'm new to FoE ‍:rolleyes:
You don't understand the dynamics in play yet. Same thing of the advice never have any decorations. why: aiding the important bits. decorations do nothing but suck up valuable aid from important things. All longer time player realize that. same thng with Guild and Friends.
I usually ask Guildies to drop Friend if both. Definitely do not want Guildies to also be Friends. Though when good players leave the Guild I will ask them to be Friends. Never enough players to aid.. So separate Friends and Guild players.

Ironrooster

There is no real game reason why you can't visit guild members taverns other than the developers didn't program it that way.

As others have noted guild members can be on your friends list, but it reduces the number of people you can aid and receive aid from.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Of course if all your buildings get aided every day without fail, and the coins aren't of any concern, then just do you and add the guild members you want as friends so long as they don't have a problem with guildies as friends either.

Of more concern for most players should be to regularly cull your friends list of players who don't aid back. You can do that by aiding from the social tab in your town hall then going into your friends list to see who still needs aiding. Anyone needing aid hasn't aided you in at least a week. Also if you see a red dot in their info indicating they haven't played in over a week, you might consider them for removal.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Of course if all your buildings get aided every day without fail, and the coins aren't of any concern, then just do you and add the guild members you want as friends so long as they don't have a problem with guildies as friends either.

Of more concern for most players should be to regularly cull your friends list of players who don't aid back. You can do that by aiding from the social tab in your town hall then going into your friends list to see who still needs aiding. Anyone needing aid hasn't aided you in at least a week. Also if you see a red dot in their info indicating they haven't played in over a week, you might consider them for removal.
I should have specified in my earlier post that I was relating the most common attitude of guilds I have been in and players who have stated their preference on the matter. For myself, I always freely friended any guild member who wanted to when I was in a guild with other players. My thought is that if you're that dependent on aid, you're doing something wrong.

Now to clarify my last statement there, that refers to how the game is now. In my first few years of playing, it wasn't like that. The game was more heavily dependent on motivating and polishing your friends/guild mates and even neighbors. That was before the hyper leveled Arcs made BPs so abundant, and aiding was the slow, steady way to bring them in. Also, the game was much more dependent on Build menu coin, production and goods buildings, and that meant that the motivations doubling your coin/supply buildings' production was very important. Nowadays, Tavern sitting is more important (IMO) because of the chance for FPs. I personally do not currently seek out friends in any of my cities. I accept any friend request, and I also boot anyone who is inactive over 7 days. And during events I usually only aid or Tavern sit if an event quest or DC requires it. As a result I have no friends list in any of my 9 cities that is over 40. A couple are right around 20-25. Of course, I am in solo guilds and rely mostly on WWs, GBs and event buildings for my resources, so a relatively few aids takes care of my needs.

Wulfrythe

I don’t know, Chripy, but it’s a good suggestion; in addition to others I’ve seen about having a massive mopo/visit button rather than individual clicking. The developers probably view such a change as pointless and most likely won’t change anything in that regard at this point though. Convenience for the user/player has to amount to dollars on their end.

wolfhoundtoo

Originally they wanted to encourage players to get friends from new players (well that's my interpretation anyway) as you could only invite friends till you have 80 (plus yourself) so you had to get players to send you a friend request. This mostly equated to newer players since the longer you've played the more people you have had the chance to friend. They certainly made a design choice to limit the tavern to friends only and I don't see the value to them to redesign it to allow your guild to do so as you have the option to friend your guildmates (I'll leave the debate as to whether or not that's a good idea to others). I don't think changing this would equate to more money either but i'm curious to know what you think about this would encourage players to spend money?

As for the one click mo/po there's lots of threads on that and simply put there are issues that arise with mo/po in one click which would require significant revisions to the game. I also believe that Inno believes (yes my opinion if that's somehow not clear) that the more time you spend in the game and the more time you spend interacting with others the more you'll enjoy the game and stay around longer which may very well lead to more money being spent by a player so the old one click aid option isn't going to happen.

UBERhelp1

There's not much of a reason for having guildies as friends for the tavern. You'll eventually rack up so much tavern silver that you don't really need people to sit in your tavern.

Emberguard

Yeah it’s really not necessary to friend guild members and doesn’t make strategic sense to do so when you can enlarge your network outside the guild.

If there were a specific benefit exclusive to adding guild members as friends then it might be different