• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why aren't Behemoths more popular?

wiserpenny

Just moved to AF over the weekend and am looking at the mess of units there. Still working my Hovertanks for now by trying to decide if something up here should be better. I know everyone says "just keep using hovers", but just because everyone says it doesn't mean it is right. So why not behemoths? They look like a beefed up version of hovers with only downside being a slightly smaller range. both have force field. Behemoth even gets better terrain bonuses. What am i missing here?

I've also heard FOE hints dude say he uses battle fortresses. These have reactive armor. Not sure i've really understood why this is better than force field. I understand hovers used to have this and people said it was overkill. but battle fortresses don't have the ability to hide anywhere like behemoths do.

So those of you who have blazed the trail before me... why keep rocking hovers? why not one of these two units?

wiserpenny

Guess some of the terrain they are on isn't as favorable as that of hovers... also behemoth tech is at the very end of the tech tree. Anyway, still curious for thoughts anyone has

Agent327

Behemoths hide (have stealth) on hills, hovers on plains. Plains are common terrain, hills are not.

Battle Fortresses have reactive armor. They take max 3 damage all. It is stronger than absorbing damage that Hovers do.

wiserpenny

Behemoths hide (have stealth) on hills, hovers on plains. Plains are common terrain, hills are not.

Battle Fortresses have reactive armor. They take max 3 damage all. It is stronger than absorbing damage that Hovers do.
Makes sense on hills vs plains.

Do you think the hovers stealth outweighs the battle fortress reactive armor?

Agent327

Do you think the hovers stealth outweighs the battle fortress reactive armor?

That really depends on the situation. Because there are units that ignore stealth, like the Plasma Artillery, Battle Fortresses are slightly better. However, in the next two era's there are no units that ignore stealth, so then the Hover really comes to life.

Lord Pest

What a timely question. I’m in AF and have been using battle fortress plus rogues in GBG and GE. I’m 3 days away from unlocking the behemoth barracks. I’m going to give them a good audition and see if they are better than the battle fortress for autofighting in GBG. Using the battle fortress I can get to attrition level 80 but after that the loses mount.

In my opinion the plasma cannon is the best except for 1 terminal weakness. They lose if the enemy has even 1 flying unit in their army.

wiserpenny

I’m in AF and have been using battle fortress plus rogues in GBG and GE.
You've been using that to autobattle? i haven't even transitioned units yet. still using hovers. used it for almost all of GE this week. only have AF units from GE and GBG rewards. curious what can auto battle higher.. Hover or Battlefortress.. maybe i'll have to switch over and give them a shot

wolfhoundtoo

You might want to ask how high his att/def is and how high up his AO is so you can have some idea of what he's utilizing to auto battle.

Johnny B. Goode

You've been using that to autobattle? i haven't even transitioned units yet. still using hovers. used it for almost all of GE this week. only have AF units from GE and GBG rewards. curious what can auto battle higher.. Hover or Battlefortress.. maybe i'll have to switch over and give them a shot
As has been noted, Hover's stealth is active on plains and BattleFortress' stealth is active on hills which are less plentiful. They have the same defense rating. BattleFortress has a higher attack rating. Both have Force Field ability, which absorbs x amount of damage. To me the deciding factor is the stealth issue. And in the one city where I've gone past FE, I've almost exclusively used Hovers through both AF and OF.

Agent327

As has been noted, Hover's stealth is active on plains and BattleFortress' stealth is active on hills which are less plentiful. They have the same defense rating. BattleFortress has a higher attack rating. Both have Force Field ability, which absorbs x amount of damage. To me the deciding factor is the stealth issue. And in the one city where I've gone past FE, I've almost exclusively used Hovers through both AF and OF.

Battle Fortresses don't have stealth, so how is that a deciding issue?

Johnny B. Goode

Battle Fortresses don't have stealth, so how is that a deciding issue?
You are correct. It is Behemoths that have stealth. Which only strengthens the case for continuing to use Hovers. Behemoths don't have much more attack than Hovers, and their defense rating advantage is negated by the fact that their stealth is only valid on hills. And then Battle Fortresses' advantage in attack rating is totally negated by the fact that they don't have stealth or force field. And reactive armor is only a minor annoyance against stealth and the use of rogues.

Lord Pest

yes, I switched from hovers to battle fortress. When entering a new age I always audition all the new troops to see which ones are worth using to me. I can get to attrition level 84 in GBG before losing significant troops using 2 battle fortresses and 6 rogues. Plasma cannons ignore stealth and will kill hovers every time. I switch to plasma cannons those last 5 or 6 GE encounters as long as the enemy has no flying units in their army.

wolfhoundtoo

For surrogate soldiers (ranged units) and behemoths. They can be useful for a mix of enemy units (so long as they aren't flying) if you have a mix of enemy units. Mind you I use them alone (no rogues).

Lord Pest

I only use plasma cannons in GBG when my attrition is extremely high and there are no flying units in the enemy army.

I gave the behemoth an honest tryout in GBG. as far as autofighting GBG is concerned they are not as good as battle fortresses. The battle fortress is better at surviving fights than the behemoth in autofighting. Just my opinion based on my fights in GBG. So I deleted the behemoth barracks and put back the battle fortress barracks. I would encourage anyone in AF to try out the different AF units and reach their own conclusion Which may be different than mine based on the way they fight and their units offensive and defensive bonuses.