• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why Do GB ATT/DEF Bonuses Not Apply To City Defense?

Mustapha00

Why was the decision made for the military bonuses for Zeus, CdM and other GBs not to apply to city defense?

I do understand that the bonus does apply for certain other GBs (Deal, Basil's and probably others), but history shows that those in the defensive almost always held an advantage over their attackers. It would make more sense for all military bonus GBs to apply to defense.

DeletedUser9433

Most likely to encourage attacking, if attackers lost more often than they won then there would be less attacking, less diamonds spent and less income for Inno. That is why the AI isn't so intelligent in PvP as well.

DeletedUser25683

Wait I'm confused. The only reason why I built a zeus in one world and am seeking to in another was to help my troops ALL OVER. I don't PVP... I don't GVG... I only have troops for the defence of my city and for the guild expeditions. I only built the zeus (other then I got all the bps without buying any) to help out in thouse two areas. Please tell me it at least boosts my troops in the guild Expeditions!

Also Someone in one of my guilds just built a Cit of A (forget full name) for the defence boost because he was getting raided alot. Will it really help?

The OP said that the bonuses do apply from some buildings... so ... how do we know what buildings apply where?

DeletedUser8152

Wait I'm confused. The only reason why I built a zeus in one world and am seeking to in another was to help my troops ALL OVER. I don't PVP... I don't GVG... I only have troops for the defence of my city and for the guild expeditions. I only built the zeus (other then I got all the bps without buying any) to help out in thouse two areas. Please tell me it at least boosts my troops in the guild Expeditions!
Yes the Zeus bonus will apply to GE, as well as to battles on the continent map.

Also Someone in one of my guilds just built a Cit of A (forget full name) for the defence boost because he was getting raided alot. Will it really help?
Cathedral of Aachen? No, it is like the Zeus, the bonus only applies to your attacking army. The bonus from St. Basil and Deal Castle apply to your defending army. If you read the great building description it specifies whether the bonus applies for attacking or defending armies.

DeletedUser14197

I think what makes things a little confusing is that no matter where you are fighting, city defense, or GE or GvG, if you mouse over your troops, you see that they have both an attack and defense bonus. Is there a way to improve my attack bonus in my city defense? Mine is only 55, yet my defense for city defense is 152. I have the deal and basil. I haven't gotten my deal to level 10 because I was still debating whether to tear it down as people seem to think it is a waste of space, being able to be replaced with victory towers and watchfires. If I tore it down, I would have even less attack bonus for city defense. Is "attack" not important for city defense?

DeletedUser20367

If the troops are in the 'currently selected army' box then they will show your current attack boost when you mouse over them. If they are selected as part of your defensive army (highlighted blue) then they will show you current defensive boost when you mouse over the UNLESS they are also in the 'currently selected army' box. Then the attack boost is displayed instead.

DeletedUser10415

Is "attack" not important for city defense?

Attack (lets call it offense) is important for city defenders when they are facing attackers that are boosted with Zeus, CoA, and/or CdM, as these 3 GBs boost the defense as well as the attack (offense) of attacking troops.

Is there a way to improve my attack bonus in my city defense? Mine is only 55, yet my defense for city defense is 152.

Your city defense is higher because of your watchfires and probably a monastery. The only way you'll increase your defenders' attack (offense) bonus is by getting Deal and St. Basil's leveled up.

Wait I'm confused.
Zeus, Castel del Monte, and the Cathedral of Aachen boost both the attack (offense) and defense values for your attacking troops only - The ones you use on expeditions, on the continent map, and to attack your neighborhood or guilds' sectors on the GvG map.

Deal Castle and St. Basil's Cathedral both boost the attack (offense) and defense values for your city defenders only.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14197

if the only way to increase attack for city defense is thru the deal and basil, than it doesn't make sense to me to get rid of the deal as others are suggesting. I can replace the defense with watchfires and the metals with victory towers, but I don't seem to be able to get the attack bonus anywhere else.

DeletedUser9433

It is because the Deal has such a large foorprint it isn't really the best (though not the worst) GB to have. I attack relentlessly in all of my worlds yet have never built a Deal or St Basils, Yes I get attacked occasionally but I can hammer most anyone who deems it wise to attack me as I build up my Zeus, CdM and CoA to 10 and beyond.

DeletedUser10076

It is because the Deal has such a large foorprint it isn't really the best (though not the worst) GB to have. I attack relentlessly in all of my worlds yet have never built a Deal or St Basils, Yes I get attacked occasionally but I can hammer most anyone who deems it wise to attack me as I build up my Zeus, CdM and CoA to 10 and beyond.

This is fair as you gain SO much more from a good attacking army than a defending army. I have considering deleted my deal and basil, but can never to bring myself to do it.

Mustapha00

So it would appear that Inno wishes to make plundering more attractive and at the same time make city defense more difficult?

So what might an argument against allowing stacking defense be? Would it be all that imbalacing to the game to make it possible for a defender to have, say, +125% defense- or more- given the likelihood that he or she will be in a hood with players several Ages ahead of him, thus having superior troops?

DeletedUser9433

I have 242 defense in F world, still doesn't stop all the players, as it can still be penetrated and is upon occasion.