• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why does my guild want me to not advance in eras?

RazorbackPirate

CA units are stronger than LMA units, but that applies to both sides. CA against CA is wash, as LMA against LMA units are. Boosts of defending armies are a bit higher in GE, but that only applies to GE. Attrition in GBG stays the same and ramps up at the same pace. As you gain CA units to fight against CA units, again, it's a wash.

Any handicap you may have right after aging up will be gone in a couple of weeks, if you know how to play the game. If you don't, then what age your in in the least of your issues.

Lady Gato

Thanks for the link. That is a very good tutorial, however, I am way past most of the stuff there.
SNIP
If you read the comments/questions etc on all the pages of this thread some of your questions will be answered as to why people recommend certain things. There are a lot of peeps who have popped in asking questions even though they were far beyond the initial 2-3 GBs. They talked about aging up versus waiting & building up.

I personally don't have the experience to answer your questions as I only started this game 2 months ago and just aged up myself from BA to IA. I can speculate what they were trying to say, but I don't know for sure. I believe @Emberguard was stating that the units are more powerful but that the players themselves are more experienced and probably have buildings with much higher levels and thus the base unit attack will be even more.

I hope you'll take the time to read thru that thread and that it will lead you onto looking into threads written by other greatly experienced players. Some of the people who were in that thread are no longer active in the forum, so in their words perhaps is the "gold" you are seeking. Good luck.

Agent327

So, this kind of brings me back to my original question. My guild leaders said I will fight better against lower age units, so their stated reason for me staying back is that they seem to think I will generate more advances in GBG if I stay in LMA versus age up to Colonial. Currently I do about 700-800 advances per GBG.

Yes, you will generate more advances, but that would mean you can never move up. Seems a rather selfish thought and it applies to every player moving up. It always takes some time for you to perform the same in the next age.

I am trying to understand exactly what the drawbacks and advantages of aging up are, especially with regards to fighting. For example, if the enemy units in Colonial are so strong that I would drop down to 400 advances and attrit out at 15 or something, then that would be a big problem. But if go Colonial and am still making 750 advances per run, I guess I don't see the advantage to staying back. What I lack is the knowledge and experience to know the real effects of aging up.

You will not make that number of advances, but that is just a matter of time. From the logic used, nobody should ever move up/

One thing that might help me understand better is to know exactly what the additional boosts the enemy units have in Colonial versus LMA. When I fight them at 0 attrition or the campaign map I don't see any boosts (+%) on the units at all, so I am not sure why people are saying the higher age units have higher boosts. What is the math here?

Again, have a look at the Wiki.

jsc29

CA units are stronger than LMA units, but that applies to both sides. CA against CA is wash, as LMA against LMA units are. Boosts of defending armies are a bit higher in GE, but that only applies to GE. Attrition in GBG stays the same and ramps up at the same pace. As you gain CA units to fight against CA units, again, it's a wash.

Any handicap you may have right after aging up will be gone in a couple of weeks, if you know how to play the game. If you don't, then what age your in in the least of your issues.

Well in my case I will get all the CA units immediately because I have enough forge points and goods to do the entire research tree in Colonial. So I will get all the Colonial units and technologies on the first day that I advance. So, that is not a concern.

In fact, since I will get CA units on day 1, my understanding is that if I advance on Thursday after GBG starts, then I get to fight against LMA units for the entire cycle (please correct me if I am wrong). So, at least for the first cycle I should actually get an advantage, at least unit wise.

wiserpenny

Several people in my guild have recommended that I stay in LMA and do not advance. The stated reason is that I will be able to fight better supposedly.

I do not understand how staying in LMA will make me a better fighter. Certainly in GE, the higher the era of the player, the more points the contribution counts for.

If I am in Colonial, I can make more valuable goods than the goods I am making in LMA, and it will also give me more quests, since I currently have quests I cannot complete because they require Colonial things.
My guess is guild treasury. Take a look and see. Are you adding to a short treasury in LMA? Or do you not have an arc/obs/soh and LMA is flush and they can’t afford you to advance?

only other thing id think of is they think you need to level some GBS higher before advancing

Edit: i see you have an arc and obs.. you’re adding to the treasury. Look at the treasury for LMA.. is it low? If not, are there other LMA players without an arc or obs sucking up treasury? They might want you there because of that. We have that problem with iron age players in my guild now. Anyone in IA who actually has an arc we are asking to stay IA for a bit while others get some means to add to treasury.

Last edited:

wiserpenny

Thanks for the link. That is a very good tutorial, however, I am way past most of the stuff there. I have a space optimized LMA city with level 9/10 CdM, CoA, Zeus plus a level 6 Arc, Obs, ToR and LOA. I have almost 1000 FP banked plus about 8,000 goods. I am currently working on getting a Truce Tower which I expect to get by the end of the week. My current attacking boosts are 165% / 176%. I generally go to about 30 attrition every day.

So, this kind of brings me back to my original question. My guild leaders said I will fight better against lower age units, so their stated reason for me staying back is that they seem to think I will generate more advances in GBG if I stay in LMA versus age up to Colonial. Currently I do about 700-800 advances per GBG.

I am trying to understand exactly what the drawbacks and advantages of aging up are, especially with regards to fighting. For example, if the enemy units in Colonial are so strong that I would drop down to 400 advances and attrit out at 15 or something, then that would be a big problem. But if go Colonial and am still making 750 advances per run, I guess I don't see the advantage to staying back. What I lack is the knowledge and experience to know the real effects of aging up.

One thing that might help me understand better is to know exactly what the additional boosts the enemy units have in Colonial versus LMA. When I fight them at 0 attrition or the campaign map I don't see any boosts (+%) on the units at all, so I am not sure why people are saying the higher age units have higher boosts. What is the math here?
In GBG they wont suddenly be stronger. In GE they will. Attrition still goes up the same progression in each age.

Plain Red Justice

What I lack is the knowledge and experience to know the real effects of aging up.
Simple.

1. When you Negotiate (the optimal playstyle in lower ages), you loss X era advantage in manipulating/getting lower age goods. This X gets larger the more newer ages are made by Inno.
2. My previous post
3. Guild treasury. If your guild treasury lacks LMA goods and do either of these 3 things:
3a.) Not having a high level Arc/Obs/Atom and staying there for a while
3b.) Not RQ'ing for goods and donating them to the treasury to erase guild weaknesses
3c.) A key GBG sector unluckily drains one of your LMA goods consecutive times

Your guild would generally make less siege camps, lose LP and at worst if not remedied, drop a league and your guild loses a lot of potential income.

wiserpenny

Your guild would generally make less siege camps, lose LP and at worst if not remedied, drop a league and your guild loses a lot of potential income.
Agree... but if that is their reason why the Guild needs to just tell him that... and they need to get other LMA players moving it on getting treasury contributing buildings.

Personally, i'll still do what i want eventually. I'm not going to hold my advancement for too long just because others are screwing around and not getting their act together to contribute to the guild.

Plain Red Justice

I'm not going to hold my advancement for too long
It's not """holding"""" your advancement, it's called being responsible for your guild's goods environment both in terms of treasury and getting your guildmates' goods to shuffle comfortably (read point 2 if you still haven't). If you continue to depend on others and not have the ability for others to depend on you, you would not be able to achieve anything no matter which guild you go. Tendency is that you would be throwing the guild away once your SAAB city is finished being a burden for that guild possibly along with another irresponsible SAAB/s because a lot of players unironically think that way too; of camping being ""detrimental"".

Reese7990

Your building levels are solid. However your attack is pretty low for Colonial. My attack was near 300 when I started Colonial and near 450 when I left. I would try to get to about 230 before going to Colonial.

MeowKat

This is not a responsive answer.
Yes, it is. It may not be the answer you want to hear, but it is an answer.

IMHFO (In my howitzer firing opinion), guilds shouldn't require you to park your city just because they need LMA goods. It's your city, not a banana republic. Guilds are for trade help and mutual defense. Be wary of guilds with a list of requirements.

As far as attack bonuses go, parking cities just leaves you extra forge points to donate to great buildings. But it's your choice whether you want to climb the tech tree, or level up Zeus to 80. Play the way you like.

AnnieEliza

As a really new player, this subject is front and center for me. So I really appreciate posts like this that give me information to work with. I know my first impression as a new player was to age up ASAP. But I am learning some general rules, some guidelines, and some standards to go by. These things are really helpful. And they are fitting together well with what I am seeing in the game.

I can understand your frustration with not being able to get a clear answer to this question. I suspect there isn't one. My experience has been that it is general advice passed on from player to player without any real explanation as to why.

What they don't make clear is that you will be fighting with most, or even all, of your military from the prior era against units of your current era unless you wait until you have all the goods, FPs etc to complete the next era all at once. GBs that boost your fighting attributes can offset a lot of this. One person mentioned being able to complete GE4. You might want to check to see if your guild even opens GE4. Mine doesn't. Supposedly there are great benefits you can obtain from it. A lot of times GE3 doesn't get opened and when they do, I don't always complete it. You have to decide how important that is to you. I am currently fighting against units with 30-55% attack and defense boosts on the continent map and in GE2. I've seen higher. Battlegrounds aren't open and I can't remember the boost percents there.

What it boils down to is your style of play. I'm an age up ASAP type of player. I've completed Postmodern and am attempting to follow the advice to wait to age up to Contemporary until I have everything I need and it's driving me crazy. I probably won't have the patience to wait much longer. It did allow me to save enough FPs to buy Future goods for my Arc. A lot of people seem to stop advancing at a very early age. A lot of others seem to stop at Modern, probably because GBs quit producing goods for your current age so you either have to manufacture them, get them from special buildings or trade for them. This can make it very difficult to get the necessary goods to build GBs from later ages.