• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why is defending AI so horrible against Rogues?

My city constantly gets attacked by teams of 1 unit + 7 Rogues.

In this scenario, his one unit was damaged going into the fight so it should have been very easy to win this battle right? Wrong. The defending AI hit all 7 of his Rogues first (which turned them all into Grenaders) and my defenses lost the battle (he didn't even lose a unit).

Why is the AI so bad?

Attachments

• defend.JPG
    defend.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 13

DeletedUser

My city constantly gets attacked by teams of 1 unit + 7 Rogues.

In this scenario, his one unit was damaged going into the fight so it should have been very easy to win this battle right? Wrong. The defending AI hit all 7 of his Rogues first (which turned them all into Grenaders) and my defenses lost the battle (he didn't even lose a unit).

Why is the AI so bad?
Because that's how the game is designed. This has been discussed/complained about endlessly here in the Forum. Proposals have even been made to change it. It's not going to change, however. Building up your defense with the best current era troops combined with defense boost from the defensive GBs, Watchfires, Ritual Flames and other special/event buildings can help. Collecting on time to avoid plundering is, however, the surest defense.

Freshmeboy

Because it was designed that way to encourage pvp...unlike other games that have war as an element, the lack of space to build barracks means players were handicapped when it came to pvp so they were granted a MASSIVE edge in warfare and, yes, an unfair one in my opinion....

DeletedUser26965

The AI was changed a little bit! Now they attack ur units to which they have a bonus. So in my case all long range units attacked my legionnaire instead of my archers, which were closer ;)

But I think this is not good... because now u can use this common "grenadier tactic" (1 grenadier 7 long range) also in all other ages with heavy infantery units...
So.. why u changed this?

We are currently experimenting with improving the AI. Much as I would love it, it is not being granted top priority. Then again I can understand that bugfixing and feature building are also very important to the community.

Regards,

Anwar

So it seems they never got around to it.

Freshmeboy

There are ways they could easily improve the pvp mechanic without changing the AI...but if they were going to do so, I imagine it would have been done it by now....just need a new proposal properly worded....

DeletedUser26120

I imagine it would have been done it by now
They already changed the campaign map - it won't target rogues exlusively. Made it much more difficult.

I don't think they will do the same for gvg or hoods as that would reduce participation too far. Not to mention it'd make Rogues completely worthless, pretty much.

Freshmeboy

That would be changing the AI Dursland...they could easily require barracks troops and rogues in pvp...no unattached troops. They could get rid of the surrender button..also known as the "No Risk" button..create an offensive GB in the Bronze age for defending troops..at least put pvp on a more even base and add a little risk to the endeavor...

DeletedUser26965

The quote you posted was from Anwar. If he was the one in favor of improving the defense AI and/or direct PvP battling, his death would explain why it never got done.
Difficult to say regarding the tweaking of AI but the PvP thing definitely looked like it was gonna happen as it was being posted on their blog and forum. Either way I can't imagine he was the only one, difficult going through tons of old posts and trying to pull out and piece together answers to anything that are so limited anyway.

Would be nice if they can just answer things clearly, more often and in a timely fashion. I mean we can sit here and say they designed some aspect of the game with the specific intent yada yada yada but it seems to me more often than not they just do stuff or not do stuff and we're all left floundering about to make our own interpretation of why.

With this specific case I can accept the possibility they came out with rogues and watchfires in the same event in order to make attacking cities easier to create an incentive to get watchfires thereby boosting diamonds sales, saw that it became lucrative and decided to leave the AI as it was. Now I don't expect they would announce such a thing as that but for many other things, such as the Treasure Hunt example, they could have said long ago they were more than likely going to remove it.