• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why is it bad for me to encourage sniping?

FriarTuck

My ARC will soon (a coupe of hours) be at the point my guild will let me in the 1.9 thread. That thread is often pretty full--couldn't I just ask known snipers to come in?

Emberguard

What’s the goal here? Are you intending for snipers to bump guildmates off positions after paying 1.9? Or are you intedning to not use 1.9 at all and rely on snipers instead? Or is it something else?

FriarTuck

I think I figured it out myself--snipers don't have ARC 1.9. My post reflects my lack of experience with ARC of all sizes, but I'm getting guidance from the folks on this Forum. If I had spent 1 minutes thinking , I wouldn't have posted this. Please, do me a favor and forget I asked, showing how little I know. Still, I'm learning.

Ebeondi Asi

One problem is the word sniping is used in many ways. It's meaning (as I understand it) was taking a position in a GB for less than 1.9
But it as been also used to mean any unwanted forge points'
And actually sniper who are really sniping, they all have Level 80 Arc. and many a much higher level Arc. Sniping is an Art for many snipers. Some can make hundreds to thousands of Forge points day sniping.
Then the other kind of guys, the "idiot" snipers (my opinion) who add oddball Forge points to others Great Buildings to: 1) perhaps wistfully wishing hoping gain some return? 2) get blueprints 3) just annoy other players? 4) to throw away forge points randomly.

"Asking snipers to come in" ?? Sorry no one wants snipers to take positions. Sniping is taking the position for less than 1.9
A 1.9 thread is designed to only have full 1.9 payouts on each paying position. Not less.

If your Guild has really a lot of Great Buildings endlessly waiting to be filled, then the players are not doing it correctly.
Each and every players should be also taking positions if they are asking positions to be taken. Generally bigger older players take the P1 and P2 since they use up a lot of Forge Points. Maybe even P3 if it is a higher level GB. Low level players like you Axelroder, should be taking P5 as often a you can. Yes it cost your Forge points a bit. but the Blueprints you gain will be worth it later on. So each time you place your Great Building in the 1.9 you should watch for P5 ready to be taken(if you can) but only in sequence. Never take a lower position before a higher one. So if it is asking for P4 and P5 don't take P5 before someone else took P4 just really bad to take it in advance
One other problem I see are foolish Guild practices of leaving many GB of each player partially done. Smart Guilds have rules about only 1.9 the number of GB being worked on the player can finish in a day or so. Usually just one. But sometimes due to the limit on the bar, one has to stuff some FPs into a differnt GB.Or rich FP players who can finish several in a day.
The problem comes when Guilds encourage players to keep thousands of FPs locked in half finished GBs. I know one Guild the leader has more than a dozen GBs he has all filled P1 P2 p3 even, but none finished. I told him (to no avail, not my business) he is killing his Guildies cash flow. Holding onto all those FP he Guild members cannot use for weeks a at a time. and his Guildies do the same. What a terrible waste slowing down the growth of everyone in the Guild.

Last edited:

Emberguard

It's meaning (as I understand it) was taking a position in a GB for less than 1.9
But it as been also used to mean any unwanted forge points'
Yeah. I personally don't like restricting the definition to "less than 1.9". There's a very good reason for 1.9 to be the standard for contributions at this point in time, but equating that to sniping doesn't do anything to describe the mindset of what's trying to be achieved with sniping: acquiring a spot for yourself without regard to anyone elses goals or deals in regards to that spot. Usually (though not always) that'll either be for the cheapest possible price, or outbid someone to mitigate losses compared to not outbidding them. That's as true today as when sniping first got coined as a term despite the standard contribution amounts increasing quite dramatically from back then due to people trying to counter sniping.

By equating "less than 1.9" to sniping it implies contributing 1.9 or over could never be sniping. What happens if the game standard changes and 1.9 is no longer the standard? What if two Guild Members have both put in 1.9 in a non-secured position and then one of them tops up their amount to outbid the other? "Less than 1.9" is a definition that only works if the sniper is not prepared to outbid a 1.9 contribution and would require re-inventing the definition every time the standard rate changes. That to me makes "less than 1.9" a faulty definition that's only addressing the most common symptom, not the root cause for it

If I'm in a 1.9 thread and for some reason neither me nor the owner has bothered with securing the positions from outsiders, and I'm then bumped down by someone putting in more than 1.9 you can bet I'm going to consider myself to have been sniped. Because now my contribution reward has been reduced from the deal I had made with the Owner.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

What Emberguard wrote is true. One of the reasons it is really important to lock the positions when a GB is put in a 1.9
Players who have a higher than level 80 Arc can still make a profit adding more than 1.9 to a position.

Last edited: