• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

why is there a blacksmith in the bronze age?

DeletedUser40434

You seriously going to whine about historical accuracy? Like do you think we log in and play to admire the historical aspects of every era's culture and architecture? This is such a non issue and quite pedantic. Also, every era I have played has had a production building, that usually comes first in the tech tree, that produces far less supplies than a production building at the end of an era's tech tree. Pretty sure this was by design. What point were you trying to make?

RazorbackPirate

You are correct. For historical accuracy, they should be labeled Bronze Smiths, or simply Smiths. I just call them smiths for short.

However, from a historical perspective, it was the development of iron in the Bronze age that ushered in the Iron Age. By the end of the Bronze Age, bronze smiths had become blacksmiths, producing more iron tools than bronze. Once iron tools became the standard, and blacksmiths reigned supreme, the Iron Age began.

How do you think it went down? "I call this new metal Iron. We are now in the Iron Age." I don't think so.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

you all do realize that a blacksmith was an ironsmith? and while a cheap building, it doesn't produce much.
It is actually the most efficient production building of the Bronze Age when you figure the production per square. The Blacksmith produces 8 Supplies/square on the one hour cycle, while the Pottery produces slightly over 4 Supplies/square and the Fruit Farm produces 6.5 Supplies/square.

Jern2017

It is actually the most efficient production building of the Bronze Age when you figure the production per square. The Blacksmith produces 8 Supplies/square on the one hour cycle, while the Pottery produces slightly over 4 Supplies/square and the Fruit Farm produces 6.5 Supplies/square.

Exactly... and in later ages, the Blacksmiths become the most economic way of completing DC/event production quests.

MeowKat

you all do realize that a blacksmith was an ironsmith? and while a cheap building, it doesn't produce much.
Titus, have you unlocked daily challenges yet? A common quest in the daily challenges is to complete an x-hour production so many times.
If the challenge asks you to finish an 8-hour production 20 times, you aren't going to complete the challenge with only 4 or 5 middle-age farms.
That's where blacksmiths come in.
Blacksmiths are the smallest production building, at 4 squares each. You can build a row of 10 or 15 of them. They don't produce much, true, but some daily challenges are well worth the space.

DevaCat

Not just Daily Challenges, but events often have finish x-hour productions x-times which are not age/era specific, so the blacksmiths are excellent for that, especially if you have a bank of supply producers set on 24 hours for RQs and don't want to interrupt their production. The other area they come in very handy is for those build residentials, cultures, etc. They are cheap, so are easy to delete, make room and do the quest, then rebuild-- fast at about 20 minutes.

Downside is that they don't produce much as pointed out, they take up room that could be otherwise used, and it kinda sucks when friends and guildies hit a blacksmith instead of a current level building, but that's one of the drawbacks of Aid vs manual m/p. I find them useful, but your mileage may vary.

WinnerGR

Lots of data is false in this game because it is a computer game.
Here are the first few mistakes assuming it is the history of England :
  1. Longhouses and stilt houses were invented in the late stone age​
  2. Spears were invented in the early stone age​
  3. Arrows were invented in middle stone age​
  4. Stone henges were invented in the late stone age​
  5. Pottery was invented in the late stone age​
  6. Cultivation was invented in the late stone age​
  7. Stone is a stone age goods​
There are many more false facts but who cares ?

1. Guns were invented in EMA but were not used till LMA

WinnerGR

Why in heaven's name would it be the history of England??? Were the Tower of Babel and Statue of Zeus in England? Were the Colosseum and Lighthouse of Alexandria in England? Get my point?

Not to mention that the player's city is located where Spain is.

If that is true which I believe then it would be a collective history of earth meaning that most things could be claimed true.
I just weirdly presumed it was England though from looking at multiple web sites most European and North American countries have some facts in common meaning that I would say that these facts are incorrect:

1. Spears and Arrows in BA -- Should be SA
  2. Stone as a BA good -- Should be an SA good
  3. Cultivation in BA -- Should be SA

And also most European countries had pottery too but china got pottery first ( or at least that it what evidence shows ).

Last edited:

DeletedUser40061

Experts say the blacksmith has a small footprint and doesnt eat up too much in way of resources like pop. Ive got several in main city and will incorpirate more in other cities.

dirty jam

why is there a blacksmith in the bronze age?

it took the invention of forging iron, then refining it and eventually the widespread acceptance of the product for the "iron age" to come into being. So technically a blacksmith is the end of the bronze age. It's one of those crossover advances which could be found in both ages, like eli whitney's cotton machine