• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter Event 2020 Feedback

RazorbackPirate

I had a Level 1 Train and 2 extra Upgrades from last years' event. Leaving 6 Train upgrades to get during this event. I was able to snag one on day one, two Kits and 3 cars from the AD so far during the event, leaving 3 to more get, which I got today. That completes my second train.

I started out with a bit over 1,000 stars, after getting the three Kits I needed, I'm left with 620. I'll keep collecting stars until the Train Car selection kits come up, then spend what I have for as many kits as I can score.

I'll get at least 2 Bakeries from the event, maybe three, either way, they'll likely sit in inventory until next year when I can grab some more in next year's event or at auction. I've no issue with sitting on them for a year until I can get more.

Algona

...1) Inno has no idea how boring it can get when long events don’t give opportunities for extra rewards/event currency and 2) whoever does the pricing for diamond purchases does not understand the average consumer...

... I think Inno’s profits will grow ...

Prolly not.

INNO has exact numbers on play habits and spending.

INNO has an 18 year history of increasing player base, revenue, and profit.

The Christmas Event has not been fundamentally changed in at least 6 years.

The conclusions are obvious. One is:

INNO knows their player base and how to extract cash from us much better then the players do.

Jennie2019

Prolly not.

INNO has exact numbers on play habits and spending.

INNO has an 18 year history of increasing player base, revenue, and profit.

The Christmas Event has not been fundamentally changed in at least 6 years.

The conclusions are obvious. One is:

INNO knows their player base and how to extract cash from us much better then the players do.
Maybe but I know the spending habits of my friends throughout the game. We discuss this issue regularly across 5 worlds. In the past 6 years, online gaming has changed drastically. There’s much more competition. If, as you say, Inno has continued doing business the same way, then maybe my comments have some merit.

RazorbackPirate

Maybe but I know the spending habits of my friends throughout the game. We discuss this issue regularly across 5 worlds. In the past 6 years, online gaming has changed drastically. There’s much more competition. If, as you say, Inno has continued doing business the same way, then maybe my comments have some merit.
But they don't. Without the data that Inno has, your comments have zero merit. Nothing more than opinion based on speculation. as your prior post makes clear.

jandar7

It is shameful they change event to a daily task because too many of us were doing to well?

I relied on the rules and after 75% there they make it impossible to finish or receive the awards you planned on and made decisions for first 75% of Winter Event!

Shame on FOE!

Agent327

It is shameful they change event to a daily task because too many of us were doing to well?

I relied on the rules and after 75% there they make it impossible to finish or receive the awards you planned on and made decisions for first 75% of Winter Event!

Shame on FOE!

Nothing was changed. This was the setup from day one of the event.

RazorbackPirate

Spent my remaining 890 some stars going for Winter Train Car kits today. With the extra stars earned along the way, I opened 129 presents. From those presents, I got 7 car kits. The matches earned have now given me 2 fully upgraded Bakers. Before the end of the event, I expect to get a 3rd base with a few upgrades as a down payment for next year, all for free.

Nothing to complain about here.

Algona

My apologies, I'm bored and haven't eaten since dinner last night.

If, as you say, Inno has continued doing business the same way

I didn't say a word about INNO's business practices. I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth.

Read closer, I said the Winter Event has not fundamentally changed.

Ain't rightly sure why you'd want to confuse business practices with product delivered, but I reckon 'tis a might difficult to come up with reasonable conclusions doin' so. As Granpappy 'Gona used to say:

"That dog don't hunt."

You're looking at the Event not changing exactly backwards because you're still not giving INNO credit for being competent financially.

If you did give INNO the credit they are due, you'd understand that not fundamentally changing the Event is INNO screaming they are satisfied with the money they make from it.

In the past 6 years, online gaming has changed drastically.

The past 6 years? Are you kinda new to this intarw3b thingie?

Heh. I'm coming up on 40 years since I started BBS text based gaming and 50 years of computer gaming.

Way back then we had to program our own games. Uphill! Both ways!

1971, paper / keyboard terminals new to our Junior High. One of our assignments was getting the computer to play and win matchsticks. (21 matchsticks in a pile. You must take 1-3. Alternate turns. Loser is the person taking the last match.)

Tell me again about the changes of online gaming the last 6 years?

There’s much more competition.

Agreed.

INNO keeps growing.

They more then hold their own against other professionals and you want to give them advice?

Boss, most of this post is rubbing your nose in your practice of looking at things from your own perspective instead of looking at the global picture.

Might wanna consider not doing that so much.

Johnny B. Goode

INNO keeps growing.

They more then hold their own against other professionals and you want to give them advice?
Curious thing has happened during this event. I have had a Diamond sale offer every single day since it started. +100% Diamonds. Making the largest package 58,000 Diamonds for $200 USD. And I have been offered this deal Every. Single. Day. since this event started. As soon as the 24 hours on one offer expires, a popup offers the exact same deal over again. Every. Day. This has never happened before in the almost 6 years I've been playing FoE. Does it indicate that they are not doing as well as they say they are? Inquiring minds want to know.

Just An Observer

Curious thing has happened during this event. I have had a Diamond sale offer every single day since it started. +100% Diamonds. Making the largest package 58,000 Diamonds for $200 USD. And I have been offered this deal Every. Single. Day. since this event started. As soon as the 24 hours on one offer expires, a popup offers the exact same deal over again. Every. Day. This has never happened before in the almost 6 years I've been playing FoE. Does it indicate that they are not doing as well as they say they are? Inquiring minds want to know.

The best offer I have received at that price was 43K Diamonds.

RazorbackPirate

At midnight when the quest is released, GE is still going. This isn't an issue for folks who completed GE as the quest auto-completed. As the daily quests stack when not complete, you'll be able to complete two quests tomorrow, or you can always choose the alternative to conquer sectors if you HAVE to complete it today, which you don't.

No matter what, This isn't an issue. So you have to wait a day to complete it. No big deal.

Last edited:

saknika

The only thing I really don't like is the advent calendar. If there were a way to earn enough lock picks (or at least close to enough) without spending [a lot of] diamonds to complete it should you not want to spend stars daily for keys that'd be much nicer. Especially since there's no guarantee you could get a key every day if your luck sucks (like mine). The chance of finding the key is the same as finding the daily prize, and I've absolutely spent 500 stars to win 3 daily prizes, such is my luck. Means I could easily spend 150 stars just to fine one calendar key, and that's not feasible for most of the event. It really feels like the only way one could successfully get the whole advent calendar is to spend [a lot of] diamonds, and that kind of stinks.

Ericness

I've honestly found this event very unengaging and easy to ignore given everything else going on this time of year. From my perspective there are three major flaws.

1. I like the concept of encouraging daily involvement, but I feel like it failed here because there is minimal chance of opening a calendar every day without either a serious run of luck or diamond investment. Compounded with that is the fact that the daily prizes just simply aren't worth the effort for most players, even as AD fodder. My best guess is that the target audience is newbies with deep pockets (or gift cards to burn).

2. The SB requires too much real estate to take full advantage of which further disincentivizes me to chase it.

3. The idea of reindeer prizes costing extra isn't a turn off for me, but the prizes sure are. Even as a free player, there's no way I'm dipping into my reserve to buy what I have offered at 3k. I'm definitely not inspired to spend on it. What would tempt me? Glad you asked! Here's what I have offered vs. what I'd spend for (that is arguably realistic):

Offered/Suggested Upgrade
Winter Spire kit / Train or Bakery kit
Tac Tower / Sen Tower
Train kit / no change
50 FP / 250-500 FP
50 Goods / 250-500 goods
Champ Retreat / eh...no change I guess
Winter Bakery /good in theory
Santa Workshop/sleigh builder
SoK / SoK upgrade kit (classic event item though)

Johnny B. Goode

I echo some of what @Ericness says.

1. Advent calendar is just a naked Diamond grab. You would need a ton of lock picks to open every day, which means either you sacrifice your DC for the duration or spend money.
2. Main event building(s) take too much space and it's an irregular space at that. Not to mention that you have to get 3 fully upgraded ones to make it worthwhile, but one of the three is not really worth the space except to trigger the bonuses of the other two.
3. Speaking of the main event building(s), Unless you diligently checked for Incidents from day one, or earn enough lock picks to finish the Advent calendar (see #1). or buy the Reindeer Sleigh "prizes", you have to get very lucky to get enough upgrades to get three of them to level 6. I finished all quests in 6 cities. In none of them did I get the requisite 15 upgrades. Four of them I got 14 upgrades (and 3 level 1 Bakeries), and the other two I got 13 upgrades. It would have taken at least another 150 to 200 Stars to get enough Matchsticks in the 14 upgrades cities, and closer to 400 in the 13 upgrade cities. Since I started diligently checking Incidents about a week into the event, it's hard to imagine that doing that from the start would have even been enough. Which leaves choosing to go for lock picks every day in the DC or spending Diamonds. And really, choosing the lock picks in DC every day really boils down to adding an extra event quest for every day of the event. In addition to the two questlines already in the event.

So here's the thing with the Advent calendar. There are 32 days in the event. Which means you could only earn 64 lock picks in DC even if you chose that every day and succeeded. Those would open 6 days. Leaving 26 days for Calendar Keys/present lock picks. The catch-22, however, is that to maximize the number of Shuffles you hit (which increases the number of Matchsticks you get, which increases the number of times you'll cycle through the Grand Prizes), you have to use Stars in just a few bunches. But to maximize the number of keys you get (which cuts down on the number of lock picks you'll need to make up the difference), you have to open presents every couple of days or so. For every day you don't get a key, you need 10 lock picks to make up for it. So any way you look at it, or any strategy you choose, the odds are against you.

Edit: I checked and my memory was faulty. I only got 3 Bakeries/14 Upgrades in 2 cities. In 3 cities I got 3 Bakeries/13 Upgrades. In one city (ironically, my highest era city) I only got 2 Bakeries/13 Upgrades.

Last edited:

Freshmeboy

The event is weak compared to last year...I won't bother with all the negative details. Mr. Longshanks and Ericness covered that just fine. I will applaud the daily play incentive mechanic as having a place in future events but the bar needs to be set much lower.
Lockpicks earned during one DC should have been enough to open the calendar day, especially when the prizes were rarely near the value of the DC. That way players could gamble on the key in the gifts or sacrifice their DC for the day. That's an acceptable trade-off in an event. Those calendar days weren't popping SoKs after all.
Event rating : OK
But INNO, I know you can do better...I've seen it

plinker2

This is my first event played permanently in Bronze Age.
1) Can you please allow BA players to donate to guild treasury 1 age above their current age or all ages to add 1 age above (not just below)?
2) Any map sector obtaining for BA players should include by negotiation.
3) Being that BA players do not have access to Daily Quests and are not able to earn "Lockpicks", can you add "Lockpicks" to BA incidents?
Thank you that events are open to BA players. The limitations of BA (no GB contributing, no GE, no GBG ect.) is more challenging than I anticipated.
Please move your post to general game discussion. It is off topic in this thread. Thank you.

planetofthehumans2

Event was a dud for me. Way too long. Events even that are 2 weeks long are 1 week too long, I lose interest and forget there's even an event going on. Events compound the complexity of playing the game in general: you cant collect incidents, you cant collect your tavern, you cant sit in any taverns, you cant aid people, you cant conquer provinces, you cant do GE, because they may be part of the story/daily quest. You have to have a large section of your city dedicated to blacksmiths or production buildings to do production quests which may be up to 60 in OA that I've seen. One was 32 4 hour quests and I just let that quest die in a fire because I wasn't going to do that with only 4 blacksmiths.

Events are punishing. This event was punishing with no decent rewards.

RazorbackPirate

This was my 3rd Winter Event. The basic mechanics of opening presents has remained the same, the only mechanic happening in the first Winter Event I participated in. The main prize was the Winter Spire, I got one fully upgraded and a bunch of Sleigh Builders for free, I was happy with the event.

Last year Inno added the Reindeer Sleigh, it's a nice addition for those who spend diamonds, a chance to score some extra prizes for a few of the diamonds they've bought. Last year and this year, even though I had enough free diamonds to buy, what was in the Sleigh was not worth parting with them. If nothing else, having the sleigh in my city with reindeer flying in, and Rudolf with his nose so bright, is nice to have at the edge of my city during the event. The main prize was the Winter Train, I got one fully upgraded Charcoal Express (attack boost), a second train with a few extra upgrades and an bunch of cars, adding both attack boost and FPs to my city. I was very happy with the event. Not buying the Reindeer a non issue for me.

This year, Inno added the Winter Calendar, along with Keys and Lockpicks to the presents and the Daily Challenge. I will say this, Inno has gotten quite good at adding distractions. Distractions that lessen the chance of attaining the main prize for free, and require diamonds to complete. Giving more to folks who spend diamonds is fine with me. It's the distraction itself I find interesting.

Essentially, the keys and lockpicks in the presents are a wash. When I get a key, I get to open a door and get the prize of the day from the calendar. A prize on par with what I'd have gotten from the present had the key not even been there. Open a present, get a key, open the door, get the prize tied to the original present. Lockpicks are a wash as well. I open a present, get a lockpick, plus the stars needed to open another present and get the prize I would have received had the lockpicks not been there. All a distraction that amounts to nothing, but it get's us to interact with the Calendar. The distraction of the calendar.

The Calendar itself is a fun idea. It's a bit of a nod to an Advent calendar, without being explicitly Christmas. The lockpicks added to the DC was also nice, although next year I won't select them every day, just when the alternate choice is less attractive. I'll not pass on 30 FPs for a lockpick again, given that the prizes behind the doors are no better than what you'd find in a present. Essentially, it was 5 DCs to get a junk prize, which unless it's FPs, goes to the AD, like most the DC prizes, but at least selecting the DC prize, I get 5 items for the AD, not just one. With no plans to spend the diamonds to complete the calendar, the lockpicks were overall a net loss for me. I'll be much more selective next year.

Even so, the lockpicks from DC did give me 6 additional keys. With the keys that coincided with the days I opened presents, and with the help of the 'wiki that shall not be named' I was able to score all the FPs, all the fragments, a Store Building and a One Up kit. All the lesser prizes left behind.

Overall, I was quite surprised I was able to get 3 fully upgraded Bakeries for free. I expected two plus some leftovers, so getting three for free exceeded my expectations going into the event. My goal beyond the Bakeries were to finish upgrading my second Winter Train, having a base and a few upgrades leftover from last year, which I did. I opened presents the first day and got my first upgrade kit with my last 10 stars from the first quests (those pesky shuffles). I was also able to pick up a couple of upgrades from the AD early on in the event, which lessened the number I needed from the presents. I also picked up 3 cars from the AD during the event. Then I used the rest of my stars to open presents when the Train Car selection kits were up.

But... the distraction of the calendar.

I think I was able to get 3 fully upgraded Bakeries because I avoided it. I went for the lockpicks in DC under no illusion I'd finish the calendar and to me, it was far more important to save my stars for the Train upgrades and Car kits than open the doors in the calendar. I spent my stars in bulk on the day I wanted specific prizes and when, in the case of the Train upgrades, I had all I needed for my second Charcoal Express, I stopped for the day and waited for the Cars to come up. Then I spent and saved, spent and saved using the rest to get 8 Train Car kits. Along with the three I got from the AD during the event, I got a total of 11 cars.

Had I spent stars every day, or near every day to get the keys for the calendar, I would not have gotten as many 14 star presents, etc. which allowed me to open more gifts earning more matches to get me all the way to 3 full Bakeries. Which means I would have needed those two upgrades from the Calendar, which means I would have needed to spend diamonds. Distractions indeed. I think I ended up with as much as I did because I treated it like the event in the last 2 years.

Complete quests, save stars, open presents on days you want the daily special, rinse repeat. All the rest is just noise. Fun for those who regularly buy and spend diamonds, but for me, someone who plays for free, just a whole lot of noise and distractions.

Probably why I never much liked Christmas anyway, just a whole lot of noise and distractions. Bah humbug and Happy New Year.

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Complete quests, save stars, open presents on days you want the daily special, rinse repeat.
This is exactly what I did, yet I didn't get 3 fully upgraded Bakeries in any of the 6 cities where I completed all quests. So there was a good bit of luck involved. Both with getting the 14 Star prizes, and getting enough Shuffles (and the extra Matchstick they provided). You got lucky, I got unlucky...times 6.