• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter Event Tactics

DeletedUser10806

So the forthcoming Winter Event will be my 4th seasonal type event.

I have prepared my cities so I have 1 or 2 techs nearly finished, 1 or 2 sectors of the maps ready to trade for, somewhere ready to scout etc etc.

The question is should I advance in age before, during or after the event? In a couple of worlds I can advance in age with a FP or 2. Should I wait until I've done a bunch of quests, got some stars, then advance in age before cashing them in so I get maximum bang for my buck?

Thoughts please .. . . . .

DeletedUser8152

Obviously you'll get better prizes after you age up. The only reason not to would be for reasons outside of the winter event, like trying to stay in an easier hood or something.

DeletedUser

The usual challenge when you advance one age before an event is you could get stuck at some current age-specific quest which you need to research some techs to complete it but other than that its fine.

DeletedUser2145

@jaelis: Completing the quests is cheaper within the previous age if they ask for current age items. :p

It depends on what prizes you want. If something you want to acquire is available within the first days of the event, you're better off advancing to the new age right away. Or you can put forward all the necessary fps and acquire the goods you need to unlock a research from the new age, but wait on actually unlocking the research till the day you want to acquire an item.

Whatever way you do it, keep in mind that once you progress all your quest requirements will be for your age so be prepared for that. You don't want to fall behind with the quests near the end of the event, some of them require some time to complete them.

DeletedUser9393

@jaelis: Completing the quests is cheaper within the previous age if they ask for current age items. :p

It depends on what prizes you want. If something you want to acquire is available within the first days of the event, you're better off advancing to the new age right away. Or you can put forward all the necessary fps and acquire the goods you need to unlock a research from the new age, but wait on actually unlocking the research till the day you want to acquire an item.

Whatever way you do it, keep in mind that once you progress all your quest requirements will be for your age so be prepared for that. You don't want to fall behind with the quests near the end of the event, some of them require some time to complete them.
Question: If you do not complete a quest in one day, will it disappear ?
Will the next day's quest appear and will we be able to work on it ?
An exploration often takes more than a day.

DeletedUser2145

They stack up if you do not complete them on a daily basis. But still, if you fall behind too much it means you may be left with multiple quests that require some time for completion.

DeletedUser

No, you need to complete the previous one before you move on, all the winter event quest will just stack up until you finish them all.

DeletedUser8152

Good point, though it does seem they are being pretty friendly this time about having options for prev age buildings (only more of them).

DeletedUser1862

They stack up if you do not complete them on a daily basis. But still, if you fall behind too much it means you may be left with multiple quests that require some time for completion.

Good to know, sometimes (like today it seems) the game won't let me in for one reason or another. I think I have a work-around, but I'm not sure it will work 100% yet. I think it had to do with the network I was using, only been using the secondary for a few days though and if I can't get on, good to know I won't be missing out on the quests, just slowing things down.

DeletedUser10266

Keep in mind that even though the quests stack up the prize for the day may not reappear so even if its only to check the prize its probably a good idea to log in someway or another just to see the prize

DeletedUser10806

Do we know if each days quest is repeatable? (ie on the same day)

DeletedUser2145

They're not, you get the single quest per day and that's it.

DeletedUser6163

I recommend the age up for the quest, as you may win some military buildings in the event that would otherwise take you weeks to research. It's always nice to enter an age where the best military is weeks away and win a new military building of your new age :)

DeletedUser10806

Thanks for that. I guess the danger is if you've just reached a new age and have to build age specific buildings then you may have to wait to unlock that tech which is a pain.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that. I guess the danger is if you've just reached a new age and have to build age specific buildings then you may have to wait to unlock that tech which is a pain.

DeletedUser10266

If you dont want to be surprised by the quests there is a thread in beta spoilers with the quests. This can help you decide if advancing is a good idea.

DeletedUser

Where is the winter quest window I completed the quest but no rewards window excuse my stupity this is my 1st.

DeletedUser

Where is the winter quest window I completed the quest but no rewards window excuse my stupity this is my 1st.

Click this icon:
CR3m9sH.png

Then it will show something like this:
rbG8GHW.png

DeletedUser1862

I've just done the first quest and the only deco I have of my age is a premium building, but it had the option of 5 age-down ones instead and it was easy to complete that way.

24Slayer24

I've just done the first quest and the only deco I have of my age is a premium building, but it had the option of 5 age-down ones instead and it was easy to complete that way.
Stupid question: How do you get "Today's Special Item"?