• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Witch doctors, shrines of inspiration, or wishing wells? (Subtraction, not addition)

Aethelcatt VIII

Hi, all! I’m in the planning stage of putting the recently acquired old goodies--the harvest farm/field pieces--into my city and ran into a bit of a dilemma, so I’ll toss the question out here and see what the experts would say.

In order to open up enough space, I’ll need to choose one of these three options:

(1) Demolish three witch doctors;
(2) Store (and sell) two shrines of inspiration
(3) Store (and maybe sell) three little wishing wells.

Which option would you go for?

On the surface, the answer seems pretty straightforward: the witch doctors, of course. However, if I do that, I’ll have only four production buildings left in the city, one of them a terrace farm that is always on 24-hour production cycle for FPs. Now, I don’t really need the supplies they produce, but with just four buildings on hand those “finish X Y-hour productions” quests will become quite a chore, especially if X=16 and Y=8. (And, nope, I won’t have any real estate available in the city for blacksmiths for a while.)

About the shrines of inspiration, I was advised a while ago that it was high time for them to go, but I’ve been a little hesitant. I don’t care about the coins they produce at all, but the blueprints are still useful from time to time. Granted, most of them I don’t really need, such as a 27th copy of Zeus’ head, but once in a while they do plug in a hole in a set I need, so they certainly have their value.

And then there are the little wishing wells. I had more of them before, but I’ve been slowly removing them because their daily output is really not all that exciting. Yeah, I know they might give me some diamonds once in a long while, but with just five of them in my city right now they hardly qualify as a worthwhile “diamond farm.”

Well, you can probably tell that I’m leaning toward storing the little wishing wells for now, unless there is something I’m missing in my reasoning--maybe an issue or a consideration that would only become apparent after I move out of the Middle Ages? Anyway, any input/opinion about the pros and cons regarding these three options from the learned community on this forum will be greatly appreciated.

Aethelcatt VIII

I would do all three, but start with the wishing wells and the shrines. Do you have an Arc? And what level? That should help you get all the bps you need.
I see...I wasn't aware of the BP benefit from the Arc. Yep--I'm finally ready to put up my Arc: got the BPs, got the goods, and got the space--except that the space is currently being used for temporary buildings to deal with the fall event questline. So...Arc Level 1 in about two weeks? :D

Thanks!

Emberguard

Wishing wells are worse than Shrines of Knowledge in terms of a main city so I’d get rid of WW first

Ebeondi Asi

Wishing wells are worse than Shrines of Knowledge in terms of a main city so I’d get rid of WW first
The player is not discussing some Shrines of Knowledge. he is discussing (the useless) Shrines of INSPIRATION. LOL
Clearly the SoI are the worst of the bunch. But I am writing from a perspective of owning a Arc for a long time.. thousands of prints... laying around piling up

Emberguard

The player is not discussing some Shrines of Knowledge. he is discussing (the useless) Shrines of INSPIRATION. LOL
Clearly the SoI are the worst of the bunch. But I am writing from a perspective of owning a Arc for a long time.. thousands of prints... laying around piling up
xD my bad.

Aethelcatt VIII

I guess at some point they all become somewhat useless--after they have served their purposes. For now, the BPs still hold some appeal to me.

Ironrooster

I dumped my SoI first when I needed space - 1 BP every 2 days just wasn't worth it. I kept my WW's until I hit the Modern Age, because they provided current age goods (average 3/day/WW) in a small space and didn't need a One Up or Renovation kit. With ME they switched to producing Unrefined Goods so I picked them all up. Keep (or store) the Witch Doctors because they can be leveled up to be a current age production building for very little space - as you move up the ages, most production buildings get a lot larger.

The Lady Redneck

Witch doctors and other 3X2 production type special buildings are handy to have as you do get a daily return, plus they do serve a purpose during events. I would keep them.

If your friends list is set up as it should be, and you are in a decent sized guild. You will get far more BPs by simply aiding everyone than you will get from your SoI. Plus if you have higher era players on your friends list you will also get BPs for Higher Era GBs. That your SoI will never give you. And aiding some of your hood will give you some BPs for your current and even lower Era GBs. So ditch the SoI

WWs (And FoYs when you get them) have no place in a fighting city. Start a new city in a new world and make it a Diamond farm. That will help your main city. It is a slow proccess that takes patience. But it does pay off. You can build it so it take very little time to do once it is established. And many worlds do now have guilds for Diamond farmers. You still want to do GEas you can win WWs and FoYs there. And a little GBG for the rewards if you wish and to help with Events.

Aethelcatt VIII

Thank you very much, everybody, for your advice from advanced experience! The witch doctors do sound even better to me now. Good point about them being able to "keep up with the times"--I hadn't thought about that. So they are definitely keepers. I do remember seeing those huge production buildings in other people's more advanced cities and going "uh-oh." :)

SOIs and WWs both sound like they have lived out their useful lives in my city. At the moment, the one BP over two days from an SOI still seems hold a slight edge over whatever a WW comes up with, even though I do get a lot more BPs from those other sources. (Yeah, I typically get at east a couple of them just from aiding friends and neighbors every day--the annoying pop-ups make sure I know that.) At this stage, from time to time I still run into situations where I need that one specific BP that just seems never to show up. I presume with time that will probably not happen very often any more, especially when you have hundreds of all kinds of BPs lying around. With the WWs right now, I don't even pay attention what I get from them when I collect. Mostly I think it is just coins or supplies. I'm not too worried about current-era goods--got plenty of event buildings for those. I know there is a chance they might produce 50 diamonds, but for all the time I had them I don't remember ever seeing that.

Lord Pest

It will take some time but join a good guild. Plant your arc and get it to level 80. Start helping out in a 1.9 group and you’ll soon have more BPs than you’ll ever need or want. As an example, I’ve had an 80 level arc for 3 years and have enough arc bp to take it to over level 5100. all the popular GBs I have enough bp to go ovef level 1k. All just by aiding my guildmates at 1.9.

P C C

If your friends list is set up as it should be, and you are in a decent sized guild. You will get far more BPs by simply aiding everyone than you will get from your SoI. Plus if you have higher era players on your friends list you will also get BPs for Higher Era GBs. That your SoI will never give you. And aiding some of your hood will give you some BPs for your current and even lower Era GBs. So ditch the SoI
In addition, each time you age up to a new era, the SoI has more GBs to randomly choose from. So if you're looking for a specific blueprint, the chance of getting it goes down. So better to take places on other players GBs, at a profit in FP if possible or at a small cost, when you are short on a specific GB

The Lady Redneck

Yes and SoI is purely random you have no control over what it gives you. But most GBs are age specific. If you are looking for Traz BPs for instance you would polivate PE buildings as it is a PE GB.

The Lady Redneck

I guess at some point they all become somewhat useless--after they have served their purposes
Far from being worthless my diamond farm is now giving me 500 plus diamonds a week and it is still relatively small as DFs go. It also gives me enough goods, coin, supplies. plus WWs and FoYs age up automatically. no need to use Reno or one up kits on them.

Aethelcatt VIII

Once again, thanks for all the insight, everybody! In the end, the SOIs won over the WWs by a very small margin, since I don't have anywhere near the number of WWs to make it a worthwhile enterprise for diamonds, but their victory was short-lived. Right after I put in the Harvest Farm pieces, I come across a Botanic Rotunda sitting around in my inventory, where it clearly has no business to be. So there went one half of the surviving SOI duo. The other half? Let's see what comes out of the oven over the next 10 days...

Last edited:

Aethelcatt VIII

Far from being worthless my diamond farm is now giving me 500 plus diamonds a week and it is still relatively small as DFs go. It also gives me enough goods, coin, supplies. plus WWs and FoYs age up automatically. no need to use Reno or one up kits on them.
Some day I would like to start a diamond farm somewhere. I do use a few diamonds here and there--not many, but a somewhat steady trickle over the course of the daily routines. I'll have to look into that and learn how it works, but I don't think the WWs I have in my main city would be any help in that enterprise. (Right?)

The Lady Redneck

I would still keep them before the SoI. As you do get the chance of good from them more often than you will get useful BPs from your SoI. When the SoI first came out I was in a position where I was struggling for BPs. And I thought they would be great. I had 6 of them in and sat back and waited on the BPs I needed. But you have to reckon on INNO's idea of random. Any that you really need will be very few and far between, But Col and ND or other GBs you will never build will pop up all the time. Within a month I realised I was still getting better BPs from Aiding. So those SoIs got dumped. You get far more BPs from GE now also. I would keep the wells and aim at replacing them with Carousels, Winners plazzas. or Checkmate squares.

Last edited:

Aethelcatt VIII

Yep...the Colosseum and the Notre Dame...they seem to be the system's favorite. I get those useless prints from everywhere--the neighborhood, GE, recurring quests, etc.

At this point the WWs and the SOIs are pretty much all goners. I just have one lonesome SOI left holding that 3x3 space, waiting for something to come out the oven in the fall event. Been waiting patiently in my idle bakery for days--and holding on to my previous apples and cinnamon sticks--for something good to come along. Certainly not the Pond of Fall or another SoK!

Thanks again for the insight!