• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Would US trade relations with China improve if we floated a giant yellow ducky in the

DeletedUser

Would US trade relations with China improve if we floated a giant yellow ducky in the port of Los Angeles? :laugh:

I am relatively new to this forum, but noticed very little recent activity in the Debate Hall so in an effort to stir things up a bit.

A city in Taiwan recently announced plans to float a large yellow duck, think giant rubber ducky bath toy ala Ernie from Sesame Street. A spokes person for the city said, "The yellow duck represents welfare, happiness and peace. By introducing it to the city, I hope it can bring our citizens the feeling of happiness."

The question up for debate is simply as stated above. I read the TAIPEI (AFP) article titled “Fowl play? Taiwan city to upstage rival with giant duck”; on today’s (06AUG13) world section of foxnews.com.

DeletedUser3422

Our current trade relation with china suits people in power just fine. What would happen is a company would bribe politicians to get the contract to build it. Police, fire, port authority etc. would demand more personnel and special training to maintain it. Environmental and race hustlers would have to be paid off. All of this would drive up the costs requiring us to borrow money from china. The small duckys sold to tourists would be made in china. So I think it would improve trade relations with china in a warped way.