• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Zorskog challenge city

DeletedUser10720

Recently I started a city in Z world, with the intent of creating a set of parameters I should follow as a sort of personal challenge. To see what I can accomplish. As I have several farm towns I do nothing with and a main world on D that has completed tech and the map. A new challenge is in order.
I'm making this thread to keep track of some of my progress and monitor how things develop within my new city.

The rules are as follows:
-No diamond usage ( * longhouse requirement exluded)
-I can ONLY build 1 GB per age. That GB must be taken to level 10 before i leave the age. No level 11+ for any, and no building GBs ahead of my age.
(GB oracle is required through quests and only one of the remaining 'ageless' GBs obs. Or tor allowed. Must also be taken to 10 before leaving age of construction.)
-Limit of one per unique special building constructed at any time One sok. One watchfire, one terrace farm. Etc.
** for upgradeable specials that are similar to tholos and grand bridge, only one may be built regardless of level.
**For upgradeable specials similar to The Ship and Windmill, where a selection of final versions may be offered. If it's possible to obtain more than one, building single copies of variant versions is allowed.
** for shrunk versions of buildings such as WW and rogue dens. One of each will be allowable.
- Limit use of one Reno and one 1up kit per age. Must be done at moment of age-up.
-No selling special buildings only store building kits can be used.
-Limit of 2 barracks for each unit type. ( 2 fast 2 light 2 heavy. Including rogues and champs as unit types.)
-Only complete sets may be built and all pieces must remain the same level.
-Housing and supply buildings should be built evenly.
----

Some of this is a personal challenge. Some is to see what a city will look like with such a forced variety of buildings. To test the balance of how things work when one does not put such a hyper focus to one aspect or another.
I'm hoping it will be interesting and can create a new strategy in itself finding a balance of all things made accessible and creating some hard decisions as to what should be built and when. It forces me to think on different strategies i will have to deal with at future points and consider them much further in advance.

One of the first decisions I will be forced to make is the choice for Babel or zeus. Zeus being obvious for long and short term plans, Babel has it's advantages in itself. As with these limitations earning unrefined goods in future eras will be vital and population sources limited. Not having the option of the 2nd, and taking Zeus to 10 in BA before PvP is unlocked, it will be a long while before it is seen as beneficial to me. With each age I'll be forced into decisions like this and have to decide what I should build based on when i will want to or if I can store it. So preparing for future complications is vital.
-------

Edited on 9/1 to update rules for clarification on upgradable specials and new developing rewards.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10720

I made my less than 10 days ago, and have already reached blacksmiths, I've begun guild hopping for the last few days to collect prints and extra coin for now.
I'm saving the rest of tech and the map for upcoming events and historic questlines to help earn some early specials. And have started levelling my oracle. It's likely I'll pick Zeus to build for obvious reasons but Babel has enough points in its favor to challenge that decision.

DeletedUser10720

Thank you. It's been challenging trying to get started. But I've managed to build Zeus and oracle, and am working on levelling them now, so far I've been able to complete both Cleopatra and Van Gogh questlines, so the extra FP this early are definitely helping move things along. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the later ages.

DeletedUser10720

I realized it had been a while since I posted an update to the progress for my challenge city.
I was able to complete the Cleo and Van Gogh historical questlines for the obelisk and magnum opus. ( huge help in GB levelling in BA) but I did skip the Sacagawiea line as the province's and map work would push too far.

I was able to push through the map some, thanks to guild trades and Zeus to allow me to fight a few provinces into IA map. But I've stopped soccer quests at Q39 as it would be too much more to take on in the future.

In this soccer event I've managed to get a SoK, contestants estate, athlete living quarters, Vic tower, rogue hideout, a winners plaza, and my tholos cup is currently L3 with an extra upgrade in inventory. My plan is to keep one upgrade in inventory for this or other future multi-level specials to allow me a means of upgrading them into a new age later on.

I've managed to get my Zeus up to L9 and when it hits 10 I'll finish my oracle before moving into IA.

Currently my basic housing is simple with
4 chalet
4 huts
4 stilt house
4 thatched roof
And
2 pottery
2 blacksmiths
2 fruit farm
2 hunter
---
I've only got space for one goods building at a time so I've been taking semi-regular rotations between wine and stone production and trading up whenever possible.

I still have some powerdrink left and some more to earn from the soccer event, if I can manage I'll post a final results earnings shortly after.

DeletedUser10720

Pre-Summer event status:

I have ( unfortunately) not been able to finish oracle to L10 just yet (hit L7 tonight) , therefore I'm still stuck in bronze age for the time being.

It's likely that summer will challenge me. As I aim to try and complete the event. I've got Zeus to 10 so I should be ok for some map battles and with some luck on the market I can negotiate when necessary.

I've exchanged some of my basic supply buildings (reduced to one of each BA supply building plus magnum opus & alq) ) for a slinger and spearfighter, to allow me to battle. I will also be unlocking the 500 medal victory expansion within the next 4 days, so I will be able to start the event off with some extra space.

Unfortunately the limiting factor of population with building housing evenly, this has limited what barracks I can have simultaneously, as well as the rouge hideout counting as one of the light unit barracks built.
Though I am confident in my ability to finish this event or at least earn a completed ship if I spend wisely. I have yet to decide which ship I will select, as I will be leaving the final upgrade for entering IA and depending on the current needs, all have their advantages.

I know being in BA will mean my hood is less competitive over the wheel, with many still in the learning or even potentially abandoning the game. So that will both have it's advantages and disadvantages. Being able to spin for a prize I want without competition vs being stuck on a worthless wheel / the only one refreshing.
I am interested in seeing the results and how much I am able to obtain.

DeletedUser10720

I successfully got oracle to L10 last night and was able to bring my city into IA. finally.
Having collected the goods and prints necessary, I was able to immediately drop the LoA. ( the obvious choice for this ages GB. )
I also used my last tholos upgrade to bring it to L6. Making it act like a free Reno kit.
Summer was less fruitful than I had hoped for the challenge city. Being stuck in BA during it hindered my ability to earn a complete ship. So I have not built it. Though I was able to get a few things such as a ST. And stranded boat, to help with medals expansions in these early eras.
I'm going to push tech quick to get to archers and hopefully be able to camp until ToR is built and I can complete the next few events here in IA. While getting both to L10.
If/when I am forced to tech into PvP I'll hopefully be ready to push to EMA quickly. But that's dependant on events for the time being.

DeletedUser36419

I am new to the game and need some advice as to the strategy of battle. I am in the Early Middle Ages and have a hard defeating in PvP and expeditions mode. I need help! Am i in the right place to ask for advice?

DeletedUser32493

Joanna, each different unit has bonuses/weaknesses against other units.
e.g. Ranged are good against heavy but weak against fast, Heavy are good against light but weak against artillery.
In expedition you can see the enemy army and use units accordingly, in pvp however you cant see the enemy army so its just pot luck. You can however build Great Building that can help such as Zeus, Cathedral of Aachen, Castel du monte which off attack bonuses which increase with each level.
Hope this helps.

DeletedUser36419

Joanna, each different unit has bonuses/weaknesses against other units.
e.g. Ranged are good against heavy but weak against fast, Heavy are good against light but weak against artillery.
In expedition you can see the enemy army and use units accordingly, in pvp however you cant see the enemy army so its just pot luck. You can however build Great Building that can help such as Zeus, Cathedral of Aachen, Castel du monte which off attack bonuses which increase with each level.
Hope this helps.
Thank you Adam

Peaky-Blinder

Adam, really nice of you to answer Joanna's question and not redirect her away from your personal quest thread over to another general help thread... bonus points for being nice and helpful!

Interesting goals and discussion here though, I plan to check in once in a while to see how you're doing. I'm in Z world as well, and it's my only city. Would like to do more, but demanding job, wife, competing hobbies, oh... and a new baby boy this summer makes that a ridiculous notion, LOL!

Best of luck and can't wait to see which special buildings you prefer over others!

DeletedUser36419

Adam, really nice of you to answer Joanna's question and not redirect her away from your personal quest thread over to another general help thread... bonus points for being nice and helpful!

Interesting goals and discussion here though, I plan to check in once in a while to see how you're doing. I'm in Z world as well, and it's my only city. Would like to do more, but demanding job, wife, competing hobbies, oh... and a new baby boy this summer makes that a ridiculous notion, LOL!

Best of luck and can't wait to see which special buildings you prefer over others!
Congrats on the new baby boy Jared!